Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is there an error in this porcess? I think so..
greenimp
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 10:10
Is there an error in this porcess? I think so..

From Organic Syntheses link

The part that I think is wrong is below. they are doing a Hoffman rearrangement on veratric amide using Sodium hypochlorite and NaOH. They are preparing their hypochlorite fresh before use from Cl2 (g).

My problem is it looks like they are not generating enough hypochlorite. The call for 0.412 g per gram of amide. My math works this out to .33 Moles of Cl2 for .32 M of amide (a 5% excess is said to be used, which makes sense) However, this much Cl2 gas should only produce .11 M of hypochlorite, when .33 M of hypochlorite is desired.

Anyway, I think they messed up their calculations. The problem is that I think if one where to use the correct amount of gas, there would be almost no NaoH left in the inital solution. There need to be NaOH in there to initiate the Hoffman.

Here is the paragraph in question.

An alkaline solution of sodium hypochlorite is prepared by passing chlorine (0.412 gram for each gram of the amide) (Note 2) into a mixture of 300 g. of cracked ice and a cold solution of 80 g. of sodium hydroxide in 500 cc. of water, contained in a 2-l. round-bottomed flask. The whole of the veratric amide (55–58 g.) is added in one portion, and the mixture is warmed slowly in a water bath, with mechanical stirring. The material soon darkens in color, and at 50–55° (internal temperature) oily droplets begin to separate. The temperature is raised gradually to 70° and maintained at this point for one hour. A solution of 120 g. of sodium hydroxide in 120 cc. of water is added slowly, and the temperature is increased to 80° for an additional hour.

I think it should read:

An alkaline solution of sodium hypochlorite is prepared by passing chlorine (1.236) gram for each gram of the amide) (Note 2) into a mixture of 300 g. of cracked ice and a cold solution of 135 g. of sodium hydroxide in 500 cc. of water, contained in a 2-l. round-bottomed flask. The whole of the veratric amide (55–58 g.) is added in one portion, and the mixture is warmed slowly in a water bath, with mechanical stirring. The material soon darkens in color, and at 50–55° (internal temperature) oily droplets begin to separate. The temperature is raised gradually to 70° and maintained at this point for one hour. A solution of 120 g. of sodium hydroxide in 120 cc. of water is added slowly, and the temperature is increased to 80° for an additional hour.

GI

Green Imp
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 11:13

One mole of veratric amide is 181.17 grams. One mole of Cl2, which gives rise to 1 mole of NaOCl in NaOH solution (how did you come up with 1/3?), is 70.91 grams. 70.91/181.17 gives 0.391 grams of chlorine per gram of amide, or with a 5% excess, 0.412 just like Org Syn says.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
greenimp
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 12:21

3 Cl2 + 6 NaOH → 5 NaCl + NaClO3 + 3H2O

I thought this was the formula for Sodium hypochlorite formation from chlorine gas and NaOH.

If I am wrong that would explain my problem.

Green Imp
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 12:31

That is the equation for sodium chlorate formation...

greenimp
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 12:38

oh shit. :mad: :o

Its this one: Cl2 + 2 NaOH -> NaClO + NaCl + H20

That's what I get for not reading more carefully...everything makes perfect sense now.

[Edited on 20-5-2009 by greenimp]

Green Imp

Go To Top