Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Propionic Acid through MEK haloform?
querjek
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 11:14
Propionic Acid through MEK haloform?

Could I prepare propionic acid in decent yield from the haloform reaction with methyl ethyl ketone? I know textbook reactions but never know whether they're actually practical to use or not.

EDIT: Probably should specify, with calcium hypochlorite powder and water

[Edited on 31-5-2009 by querjek]

it's all about chemistry.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 11:50

Not really in practice. The reaction is quite exothermic and on scale up is prone to run away. Not to mention on even modest scale up it is bucket chemitsry due to the sheer volumes involved. Its nice in theory. In practice I'd say look at alkaline permanganate oxidation which, IIRC oxidises methyl ketones to formic acid (and then to carbonate) and the potassium salt of the R-carboxylic acid.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 12:03

There is some discussion of propionate via haloform in this thread https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=10...
where Woelen has given the outline of a prep.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 12:24

A couple hundred grams is not a daunting chore, many small reactions typical of chloroform preparations in books can be completed fairly quickly, combined, and extracted. If you also have a use for the chloroform too then why not.

I did many experiments to try to improve upon written methods, trying to use the exotherm to advantage, but never had enough sense to use an antifoaming agent. That really would have helped. I might try this with simethicone or something sometime.
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 22:55

Quote: Originally posted by panziandi  
Not really in practice. The reaction is quite exothermic and on scale up is prone to run away. Not to mention on even modest scale up it is bucket chemitsry due to the sheer volumes involved. Its nice in theory. In practice I'd say look at alkaline permanganate oxidation which, IIRC oxidises methyl ketones to formic acid (and then to carbonate) and the potassium salt of the R-carboxylic acid.

Can you find a reference to that? I haven't been able to find a decent one, but I am really interesting in making propionic acid via MEK and KMnO4.

Expo cleaner used for dry erase markers contain an ether/ester of N-propanol IIRC. This could probably be oxidized to the acid.

Go To Top