Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Color Change Green --> Blue Under heat?
altech6983
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 14:37
Color Change Green --> Blue Under heat?

Hello guys,

I love chemistry, computers (gaming included), and electronics (building). Right now I am a sophomore in college and I am at a point where I need to build a new computer (Mostly gaming rig). I have been thinking a while about the new design I wanted and I wanted to incorporate my love for chemistry, computers, electronics in to this one build. I got the computer and electronic parts down easy, the third comes from chemistry.

What I am planning on doing is water cooling my cpu and gpu. I wanted to be unique so I decided to build a custom reservoir. The look I am using is modeled after resident evil's T-virus container.

What I want to do is build to reservoirs, one before the cpu/gpu tubing and one after with the radiator in between, that way the mixture going in is green and output is blue. This mixture needs to have similar property as water so that it doesn't effect the heat absorption to much. Now I have searched but I haven't found anything really, so I figured I would post here and see if y'all had any suggestions.

Thanks,
altech6983

[Edited on 12-6-2009 by altech6983]

[Edited on 12-6-2009 by altech6983]
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 15:27

Cool.

Maybe you could find something here:

http://www.chromazone.co.uk/?gclid=COjVqv7vhZsCFRIeDQodT0eOp...

Thermochromism is quite interesting. You should check it out in detail. These dyes tend to lose color when heated and regain it when cool. A mixture of blue and yellow with different temperature thresholds might do the trick.

Good luck,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
altech6983
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 15:35

Thanks for the link, I started drooling when I saw that page, I will let you know If I find anything.
Hydragyrum
Hazard to Self

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 16:20

Cool idea - I've no suggestions but would be interested to know if you find what you're looking for.

Chemistry is life (and a whole lot more)
altech6983
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 20:24

Sure thing, I would subscribe to the thread though because I am just getting ready to sell my old computer so that I can make a new one. Should I raise enough money I will be doing the water cooling. Either way I have to wait until it is built and take some accurate temp readings of the water on the input and the output so that way I know which dye to use.
altech6983
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 13:27

Just to let anybody that finds this know what happened. I got quoted $500 for a pint per color. I needed two so that wasn't feasible. I also never got my computer sold so it never went any farther.

Go To Top