Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: info concerning induction heating/furnace
jimwig
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 09:32
info concerning induction heating/furnace

here is a recently found article on induction furnaces.

well once again foiled as i am unable to paste a diagram from the article i am speaking of......Journal of Chemical Education p1999 year 1929. entitled high frequency heating.....or such...

the diagram (if pasted) would show a very simple diagram for inductiion furnace -- mainly just four parts --- the transformer, the spark gap, a capacitor and the crucible holder (the furnace its self). if one were to use a silicon crucible then it would seem very high temperature inert atmsphere reactions (even vacuum types) could be attempted......

i have long sought this type of basic approach to induction heating. and more to the point its utilization in high temperature/rapid heating of chemical reactions......etc.

i would like to make this article available to anyone interested but where to place for conveinience (sp) for the membership?

i have space with the honorable mad hatter but seems like it there might be a better place --- please i do not know.

kindly excuse my inability to write in a coherent manner. i hope this is somewhat understandable........
and thanks for your patience understanding......

[Edited on 19-6-2009 by jimwig]

craZy jiM wGGns

--packrat, professional bum. -- once just tired
now REtired.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 13:23

No problem, that's trivially easy to do. Also a good way to get the FCC's attention, too. There's a good reason spark gap transmitters went out of style about 120 years ago.

Self excited oscillators of the tube or transistor type are almost as simple, much quieter, much more efficient, and only a little less reliable. For that last bit of efficiency and reliability you really do need a "full assed" control and driver circuit, which is what I've been persuing.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
merrlin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 16:51

What is the maximum operating temperature that you require?
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2009 at 08:18

you know i really don't do things like normal beings

that is to say i see some project that looks interesting and then, application or nil, i go for it.

but since you asked melting metals has always been in mind. i am a sculptor (occasionally) and aluminum in a liquid phase would be a minimum. but cast iron sounds good too.

i am appreciative of the FCC notice...... and you know those JCE articles were in the 20's and or the 30's..... so thanks...

oh yes also phosphorus and other high temp reactions have held my interest....

[Edited on 20-6-2009 by jimwig]

craZy jiM wGGns

--packrat, professional bum. -- once just tired
now REtired.
merrlin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2009 at 10:33

Induction heating can have some interesting side effects. I once used induction heating in vacuum for an experimental package assembly that I was brazing with zinc. Shortly after the zinc melted, I was surprised when the chamber lit up with a blue/purple glow. The zinc vapor pressure had been sufficient to produce an inductively coupled plasma. At shutdown, the interior of the bell jar was accumulating a thin zinc film. You mentioned vacuum as a furnace environment. If you are going above 2000 Celsius in vacuum, graphite electrodes attached to water cooled copper tubing work well.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 20-6-2009 at 12:50

Indeed, and a furnace consisting of a graphite heater is described in Brauer, for use up to 2000C.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top