Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ethanolamine and formaldehyde
katlady
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2009 at 10:14
Ethanolamine and formaldehyde

Can anyone explain to me how ethanolamine (or monoethanolamine, MEA) works to bind free formaldehyde gas? I am asking in relation to working with cadavers, as apparently MEA is used to reduce the formaldehyde gas that is released into the ambient air.

Thanks for your help.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 26-6-2009 at 12:25

The ethanolamine probably reacts with the formaldehyde to yield a triazine, a six-membered ring containing 3 carbons and 3 nitrogens. Such a triazine is marketed as Grotan, a disinfectant. It apparently slowly releases formaldehyde, and is I think claimed to be non-carcinogenic.

As someone who had to dissect a cadaver, it sounds like an excellent idea. Opening the body cavities was a sinus-clearing experience if you had your nose over it. Seems like the faculty could have warned us beforehand, but they didn't.

P.S. Sauron, I thought of that, but in the context of the question I thought KatLady might not be looking for the rigorous answer.

[Edited on 26-6-2009 by entropy51]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 26-6-2009 at 13:02

For a more rigorous answer go to forum library and download the little book "Formaldehyde" and turn to the chapter on reactions with amines.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 27-6-2009 at 07:48

I should think the reaction went further than just the cyclic version, as there are two functional groups on ethanolamine - NH2 and OH. Both can react with CH2O forming -NH-CH2OH (and -N(CH2OH)2) and O-CH2OH, which in turn condense further. The final product could be polymeric and complex.
Btw, I checked the book, but ethanolamine isn't specifically mentioned - only deliberations on either hydroxy aliphatics or amines/amides.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top