Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: peracetic acid + toluene incompatibility?
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-6-2009 at 04:23
peracetic acid + toluene incompatibility?

there are a few papers out there that use peroxy acids for oxidation with toluene as the solvent but i am unable to pull up the articles (no login/access) to read the details. so basically i'm just wondering if there is any incompatibility/reactivity between peracetic acid and toluene?
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 06:46

no replies. i haven't found any information stating any reactivity between them, however peracetic acid being an oxidizer... i will not be the one to blindly do an uneducated experiment so this question will be abandoned.

perhaps in a couple more years of learning chemistry i can make assumptions such as this, till then, oh well :)
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 06:56

I may be the one to blindly do the experiment as I have woundered about this myself:P.
Theres always the option of doing a test tube reaction with a few ml and testing for the presences of Benzaldahyde and/or Benzoic acid. I would think that many oxidation reactions would favor the oxidation of the substrate over toluene oxidation.

[Edited on 7-7-2009 by Sedit]

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 12:50

if you get around to it, i'd be interested to hear how it went. i was going to give it a shot last week and apply some heat but decided it might not be wise. however you are worlds wiser on the chemistry tip than i am for sure, be safe bro
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 13:47

Quote:
however you are worlds wiser on the chemistry tip than i am for sure, be safe bro

Thanks for the compliment but no, tiny bit wiser at best Emmison.

Come to think of it the wise man is the one that decides against mixing an oxidiser and a flammable substance and not being 100% sure of the outcome ;) Im just a mad scientist with a homemade chemistry set.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 22-7-2009 at 23:26

The only incompatibility I can think of is that toluene and water are not miscible. Peracetic acid is typically prepared by the action of hydrogen peroxide (35% aqueous or so) on glacial acetic acid. Add toluene and I suspect you'll get two layers. Glacial acetic acid is quite a good solvent, and usually serves as the reaction solvent as well. As far as peracetic being able to oxidize toluene, I seriously doubt this would happen at any appreciable rate. Heating peroxides of any form is not advisable.
querjek
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-7-2009 at 09:01

Would a peracid react with a phase transfer catalyst?

it's all about chemistry.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2009 at 20:03

The peracid molecule will be propelled in the organic layer. Appart from that, no reaction.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr

Go To Top