Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9
Author: Subject: Adios
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:16

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
We however have our own intuition. What other uses - besides the synthesis of the aforementioned compound - can 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde have to an amateur chemist, in your own personal opinion? I'm interested should you come up with anything, but I fear that is not the case.

You really should check the literature and the lists of prohibited drugs before making impulsive claims. To my knowledge there are only two drugs that can be rationally made from 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde which are prohibited in most countries and maybe a couple more that are prohibited in some. These are 2-(4-bromo-2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)ethylamine and 1-(4-bromo-2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)propan-2-amine (also known by the codenames 2C-B and DOB). Both of them have no relevant value on the black market and none is considered a drug of abuse (they are both prototypical psychedelics, therefore hardly of any interest to the general public). Therefore, insinuating this benzaldehyde is used mainly by drug cooks is absurd, particularly in the view of its use for preparing many other psychedelics which are completely legal in most countries of the world. I would estimate there are at least a dozen more legal drugs that can be made from this starting material than there are illegal (which makes a ratio of about 8% illegal toward 92% legal). And this does not include a myriad of non-psychoactive organic compounds that can be made from this starting material. We have that aldehyde on the shelve at my job because someone used it for organic synthesis for some academic publication, it is not particularly common, but what I'm saying is that it is as common as many other organic compounds you can pick out of the catalogue and it has just any casual use. With this in view I would say it is >99% legitimate to sell or buy it.

Drug cooks are obviously interested in drugs they can sell and this mean they will limit their interest to drugs that can be abused like (meth)amphetamine and synthetic opiods. Me and other moderators have consistently removed, closed or otherwise inhibited posting of content that we considered to be greed motivated, but I also consistently left and even encouraged content that was amateur chemistry motivated, even if in connection to drugs, explosives or whatever you might personally consider politically touchy. Greed (love for profit) is not the same as amateur science (love for science) and sometimes it is difficult to tell what the posters motivation is. Difficult enough that it made me do some mistakes. Like Turd explained, even an amateur chemist can be legitimately interested in making amphetamine. It might be a simple target to make and as a recreational drug it pretty much sucks in comparison to many others, but it has some benefits that motivates people interests. For example, it is illegal which makes it a worthy target and it's simple enough for the beginners. Nowadays I have a hard time understanding why someone would be interested in it trough such a perspective, but even I was young once and I know that what is illegal can be more attractive to teenagers even when there are plenty of legal alternatives, some even much better. I remember when I was young and first got interested in medicinal chemistry, amphetamine was also a fascinating target for me and as such it stimulated my curiosity. Even though I never engaged in its synthesis (it lost its attractiveness when I realized it was pretty common on the black market), it was nevertheless one of the factors that directed me toward my carrier in organic synthesis. Many of my brightest colleagues admitted that during the teenage years it was either pyro or drug obsessions that sparked their love for chemistry. None of them would now consider making drugs for profit or explosives to blow up things. Some of them, including my self, now have much higher ethic standards than those who made a carrier in science by never actually loving it and would consider amateur chemistry as an abomination of their field. Damn, I even feel bad when signing a contract with a so called Big Pharma or do anything else against my ethics, but the reality is that one needs to do some dirty job from time to time in order to live in this world. Nobody is a saint, but young chemists interested in making drugs certainly are not demons either.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:32

It's entertaining to watch you gyrate and gambole through the dance to justift giving this deeply suspicious sale offer the benefit of the doubt.

Elsewhere you closed or detritused a thread for bring a prep on a scale unrelated to amateur chem. IIRD it was 500 g or a Kg. But now 500 g of this obvious presursor is cool. That is selective enforcement and that makes you a hypocrite.

I did not post in steve's sale thread, but your bending over backward like this as if you are in a game of Twister us really amusing.

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
The Fountain of Discordia
Harmless

Mood: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 02:06

You do realize that if psychoative chemical discussions were grounds for an instant and total perma ban, that on other chemistry forums, people would talk about it anyway, only more... right? It's pointless, in the end to try to limit discussion about psychoactives. Shut people up in one place, and they move to another. Bottom line, stopping it here will not change anything, letting it continue here will again, not change anything. The idiot public will continue to look down on us, and this hobby of ours will slowly become impossible. This argument is pointless not only because of this, but because of a fact that most seem to not be paying credence to. The idiot public are many, and amateur chemists are few. They are and always will be the majority. They shall and always will oppose anything that makes them feel inferior and/or endangered in the slightest way.

Chemistry is art by other means.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:16

I do not care where they go and what they do as long as they are out of the forum I have in mind.

The object is a forum free of kewls, idiots and cooks.

I am trying to solve the problems of one forum not the world.

Let them light at E&W, wetdreams, designer-drugs, I could care less.

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 10:49

Heres a possible solution to the drug problem on this forum. Members who wish to post topics on phenethylamine synthesis should have to synthesize a specific enantiomer; this would stop most talk about these drugs because most drug cooks make racemic mixtures of these compounds and have no knowledge of asymmetric synthesis. This way they would actually be conducting fairly challanging chemistry. Also they must provide infrared spectra, melting points, optical rotary dispersion, and chromatograms of their "goods". I do not see why people are attracted to being screwed up on drugs. Eventually health problems arise that will affect them for the rest of their lives. If you want to synthesize some thing illegal, make some phosphorous as this has many non-drug uses and would greatly benefit the amateur science community if a synthesis that produces more then 10g could be found. There are many other more interesting compounds then some amine that makes the brain go crazy. The professor that accused me of being a criminal for asking about some empty solvent bottles was a former drug cook. These drug cooks destroy amateur science and discourage students from studying the field. Most students at my university that are chemistry majors go into medicine instead of chemistry because of this professors attitude. I am constantly at odds with this professor because of my hobby. The other professors are told not to encourage my interest in chemistry because of his bias toward my hobby because of his drug cook experience. Drug cooks are not amateur scientists; a distinction should be made, they are generally only interested in the quickest way to make something in order to get screwed up. I synthesize many compounds that have very few practical applications because i am intersted in the synthetic chemistry involved. The reactions involved in amphetamine and methamphetamine synthesis can be demonstrated by other none drug compounds. The only reason to synthesize these compounds is to use them to act goofy, destroy your life, possibly make some quick money if thats your intent, and eventually end up in prison, ruining the rest of your life.

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by benzylchloride1]

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by benzylchloride1]

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:35

Wow, 5 new pages of posts a day. Who needs cable TV? "We know drama"? They don't know drama!

I still don't get the Goodbye Tour thing though. Can you actually quit, Sauron? "I can quit, I've done it lots of times!!"

I love your down-to-earth honesty and chemical talent, Sauron. But I don't get why you'd bother leaving, let alone quasi-leaving, let alone twice, LET ALONE being a drama queen worthy of reality television in the process. Sure there are idiots here. Fuck 'em and get on with your life. If you're not leaving, deal with it. If you're leaving here, leave for good.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:38

Quote: Originally posted by Sauron  
The object is a forum free of kewls, idiots and cooks.

Kewls are one thing to hate... but the rest of us without PhDs all have to start somewhere. Not all of us majored in chemistry, and most of us probably can't even remember all the basic organic reactions (I myself being one of them... because I never went to class...) Not everyone who's not at your level is an idiot, and it does not mean they cannot learn. People might ask what seems like a dumb question, but if they dont feel it's a dumb question, then it's not a dumb question. If your 5 yearold asked you "why are plants green", you wouldn't tell her to shut up and stop asking stupid questions, would you? Bad professors ignore you and give you the "you're a dumb undergrad" glare. Good professors explain the solution or show you good sources of help.

Though I very often come across things I don't understand and cannot contribute to, I still find them fascinating and benefit from reading them. To insult everyone who may not be on the same level as you is simply being pretentious.

Many interests in chemistry stem from fascinations with psychoactive agents. We even have courses about illegal drugs (and these are highlevel bio courses), and we're part of the Ivy League. My professor knew Terence Mckenna and is stoked for the day psychedelics will be allowed again in academic research. Not all people interested in recreational substances are trying to make money by killing other people. Some just want to learn. Maybe they want to know, just because it's illegal, or just because it's dangerous, or just to say they did it. Young people do that. How did I earn a professional IT certification by highscool? Because I watched the movie Hackers back in middle school and thought it was really cool. Why did I dive off a cliff? Just to tell myself I did it. Is it wrong to become a wine connoisseur because one first discovered alcohol by binge drinking at frat parties during the dumb freshman days?

So you hate drugs. Fine, I respect others' opinions. I also hate bombs and terrorists. Yet I find it a valid science to experiment with energetic materials. Infact, I love the demonstrations and I find it quite interesting to listen in on those threads, even when I don't get most of it. Personal hatred does not discount topics from scientifc relevance. In a scientific discussion, psychoactive compounds are as much about chemistry as wave functions and grignard reactions.

What are *not* part of scientific discussions are ad hominem arguments like calling people "cabron" and "SOB". I tried to ignore your cynical remarks, but since the hardest field in chemistry thread, I realized you really are just being unreasonable. You did not bother to read my post, but instead fired flame after flame making unfounded accusations simply because I disagreed with you. I actually debated whether to even post a reply, as clearly, it made no sense to argue with people who cannot argue properly. I posted the reply, hoping maybe you just had a bad day, but I stood corrected.

I am not urging you to leave, despite your having inferred I was uneducated biblethumper (I am a chemical engineer, FYI), because I can objectively say your knowledge is a great asset of this board. However, I would appreciate it if you refrained from being so condesending towards other members. This is not your forum, so please don't act like it is. Even if it was yours, I'm sure no one would appreciate such an unscientific and unprofessional attitude.

If there is nothing useful to say, there is no need to say anything.

[Edited on 7/9/2009 by Saerynide]

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:59

The thought of taking a concoction from my glassware and ingesting it makes me shiver but let's be honest, there's chemistry there. Provide a section for drug type discussions and control it to a level within the law and that you are comfortable with.

Stating the obvious - We have a section called 'energetic materials' which is for the discussion of chemistry that is novel and unique when it comes to explosive chemicals and the like.
Why not have such a section for 'ingested materials' (for lack of a better name) where the same sort of unique chemistry is discussed for these substances?

Detritus all the crap just like you've been doing in the energetic materials section.

If you like you can have these sections password protected or group activated in such a way that only members from an approved group can post there. Another way is to set up a group for users who post crap and their posts need to get approved first.

At least then people will find it less appropriate to moan and groan about the drug cooks and 'kewls' running amock.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:42

Quote: Originally posted by benzylchloride1  
Heres a possible solution to the drug problem on this forum.

Actually there is no drug problem. Just one member with an exceptionally low S/N-ration being really loud and generating the illusion of a drug problem. There is, however, as in every forum, a problem with morons but that is dealt with quite appropriately, IMHO.
Quote:
Members who wish to post topics on phenethylamine synthesis should have to synthesize a specific enantiomer; this would stop most talk about these drugs because most drug cooks make racemic mixtures of these compounds and have no knowledge of asymmetric synthesis. This way they would actually be conducting fairly challanging chemistry. Also they must provide infrared spectra, melting points, optical rotary dispersion, and chromatograms of their "goods".

Brilliant idea. So basically your plan is to forbid amateur chemistry on an amateur chemistry forum. Of course only for the chemistry you disapprove of. Brilliant, but not very honest.
Quote:
I do not see why people are attracted to being screwed up on drugs. Eventually health problems arise that will affect them for the rest of their lives.

You mean like the Shulgins?
Quote:
There are many other more interesting compounds then some amine that makes the brain go crazy.

Great for you - go ahead and make them, but refrain from dictating others what to do or not to do with their free time.
Quote:
The professor that accused [...]

Factual evidence So you had one bad experience with a supposed drug chemist, therefore they must all be bad. Replace "drug cook" with your favorite racial/religious slur and your post is revealed as what it is: ill-founded prejudice without any substance.
Quote:
The only reason to synthesize these compounds is to use them to act goofy, destroy your life, possibly make some quick money if thats your intent, and eventually end up in prison, ruining the rest of your life.

And more of the same. Talking about things you know nothing about.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:49

Quote: Originally posted by froot  
If you like you can have these sections password protected or group activated in such a way that only members from an approved group can post there.

Please, no. A subforum is OK (but why? and where do you draw the line? - arsenic compounds have been used as psychoactives), but don't do the password thing. The openness is what I like at this place. If you really want to lock something behind passwords, do it with buy/sell requests and Sauron's drivel. ;)
setback
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by Sauron  
It's entertaining to watch you gyrate and gambole through the dance to justift giving this deeply suspicious sale offer the benefit of the doubt.

Elsewhere you closed or detritused a thread for bring a prep on a scale unrelated to amateur chem. IIRD it was 500 g or a Kg. But now 500 g of this obvious presursor is cool. That is selective enforcement and that makes you a hypocrite.

I did not post in steve's sale thread, but your bending over backward like this as if you are in a game of Twister us really amusing.

Why don't you just leave already for christ's sake. You're such a drama queen.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 14:22

I've been thinking a lot about this thread and realized what really bothers me so much about the drug threads.

Science Madness really represents the face of amateur chemistry on the internet. There are others, especially in Europe, but we are probably the main forum in English.

I would like to see amateur chemistry once again become respectable. Maybe with the banning of certain decongestant tablets the meth craze will lessen. Maybe some suppliers might become less paranoid about selling to individuals. I know I am being overly optimistic, but one can hope.

If a significant portion of the posts in the major amateur chemistry forum are drug related and discuss procedures, that if carried out, make a felon of the chemist then our image will only continue to decline. I hate to see this happen.

A writer for an American Chemical Society publication actually joined the forum to help prepare herself to write an article on the trials and tribulations of amateur chemists. She wrote a fairly balanced article, I thought. But I wonder if she browsed the forum and noted the many drug threads? Did that stop her from writing an even more positive article about us? I don't know the answer, but one can't rule it out.

I would like to think that eventually we might even be able to enlist the ACS to help us improve the image of amateur chemistry. ACS is a fairly influential organization. Government regulatory agencies often seek their input on matters related to chemistry. Alas, I think that as long as the forum is home to drug related discussions we haven't a prayer of enlisting any mainstream organizations in the cause of rehabilitating the image of amateur chemistry.

I think this is the reason that the discussions on the forum should be well, not squeaky clean, but at least a lot cleaner than they currently are.

This is the reason that I disagree with current forum policies that if presented as interesting chemistry, discussions about illegal drugs are OK. I'm not trying to be a boy scout by any means. In many cases I doubt that our discussions help that many cooks. As someone noted above, the information is readily available elsewhere. But these discussions are extremely bad public relations and that is my concern. Take those discussions elsewhere, please.

I know some will disagree. Some will self-identify as having motives that are not conducive to promoting the image of chemistry as a legitimate hobby. But I thought I would share my thoughts with those of you who would like to see our situation improve.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 14:26

Keep in mind though that for almost the entire human population it is easy to form an opinion but damn near impossible to change it. This applys to the laws as well. Even if every cook on the face of the earth died tommorow it will be many decades before any laws get changed if it ever happens.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 14:28

You can either curse the darkness or light a candle.

P.S. to Nicodem, who wrote "Therefore, insinuating this benzaldehyde is used mainly by drug cooks is absurd, particularly in the view of its use for preparing many other psychedelics which are completely legal in most countries of the world."

The Analog Act makes chemicals which are substantially similar to a Schedule I or II drug also a Schedule I drug in the United States. 2,5-dimethoxy analogs are probably not legal in the U.S., certainly not if they are "psychedelic".

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by entropy51]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 15:48

Quote:

I think this is the reason that the discussions on the forum should be well, not squeaky clean, but at least a lot cleaner than they currently are.

Where would you draw the line? Should we not discuss the making of benzaldehyde, Ac2O, methylamine HCl, KCN, pyridine, phosphorus, and so on. These all have many legitimate uses. So if we can find one legitimate use for a drug precursor does that make it OK to discuss, or is there some weighting system? Chemistry pervades all walks of life. The general public just does not realize or accept that fact. But we should.

I was surprised that on the last day of my recent refresher organic chemistry class the instructor was illustrating reductive amination. Guess which compound she used? Riiight, it was amphetamine. This was a completely innocent selection on her part, she's old school. But was it appropriate? It seems many on this board would say no.

Sure, the moderators can tighten up on what they allow. But they will always be second guessed. You wouldn't want this forum to turn into another "What can we show the kids that demonstrates science?" forum would you? Then all we would be discussing is vinegar/bicarbonate volcanoes, cabbage pH indicators, and the like. There's enough of that on the internet already.

You are asking the moderators to infer the intent of posters in the same way you do, then take action if they have any suspicion it's drug, bomb, or CW related. They usually do once they have given the poster fair audience.

Do you want them to start pulling books out of the forum library too - like Sartori?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 17:23

Magpie, I thought I answered this question yesterday. I said:

"MeNH2, benzaldehyde, Ac2O aren't the issue for me. It's phenylpropanone and phenyl-2-bromopropane, etc., the direct precursors. And the routes to go from precursor to finished "product". You will find those here, thinly disguised or not at all disguised."

I don't even see a problem discussing iodine or phosphorus, they're just elements on the periodic table. They have so many legal uses that I don't think the average chemist would attach any stigma to such a discussion. When you veer off into methods to make phenylpropanone however, most chemists become highly suspicious about your motives, and rightly so. It's a scheduled compound.

It's just a matter of the smell test, and some of our threads quite frankly don't smell too good to me or the average chemist. I've worked in industry and I've seen the negative reaction when some of these precursors are mentioned.

I think you must be playing devil's advocate. You know there's a lot of chemistry in between phenylpropanone and vinegar and baking soda. For example, ALL of the chemistry in the lab manual by Brewster that we both like so much is above suspicion. I may be mistaken, but I don't recall ever having seen a post of yours that I would consider questionable. The same goes for Woelen, someone who clearly loves chemistry and has a fantastic web site without a single questionable experiment that I know of. But as DJF90 rightly pointed out above, threads with "amphetamine" or "ketamine" in their title are out of place except for the drug forums. It's not a matter of inferring the intent of the poster, it's a matter of whether they explicitly invoke an illegal drug or an immediate precursor. Almost any reaction I can think of can be discussed wtihout aiming for a molecular target that's a Schedule I drug. Don't you agree?

As benzylchloride1 pointed out so well above, medicinal chemistry is an extremely interesting field, one of the most fascinating in chemistry. There are thousands of legal and non-psychoactive drugs whose synthesis we should be attempting and discussing as an alternative to dope cooking. If we're really interested in the science of it all, that is.

I'm not trying to impose my values on others. That would be a waste of time. As I tried to explain above, amateur chemistry has a public relations problem. As members of one of the most visible websites for amateur chemistry I think we can easily be above reproach without dumbing down the forum or becoming boring. What I think is boring is yet another synthetic route to phenylpropanone. We all know all those already.

And I have no problems with the books in the forum library.

[Edited on 10-7-2009 by entropy51]

[Edited on 10-7-2009 by entropy51]
ender
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 18:06

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  

Forum members as old as Sauron and myself can remember the days when the local pharmacist would sell us any chemical we needed. We could even order from the major lab suppliers. We can also remember the 1970's and 80's when the rise of drug abuse paralleled the disappearance of reagents and glassware. It came long before the war on terror. That is no coincidence.
[entropy51]

I thought of your comment today when I read the following....It's from the Nobel speech of Kary Mullis:
Quote:

By the time Watson and Crick were being honored here in Stockholm in 1962, I had been designing rockets with my adolescent companions for three years. For fuel, we discovered that a mixture of potassium nitrate and sugar could be very carefully melted over a charcoal stove and poured into a metal tube in a particular way with remarkable results. The tube grew larger with our successive experiments until it was about four feet long. My mother grew more cautious and often her head would appear out of an upstairs window and she would say things that were not encouraging. The sugar was reluctantly furnished from her own kitchen, and the potassium nitrate we purchased from the local druggist.

Back then in South Carolina young boys seeking chemicals were not immediately suspect. We could even buy dynamite fuse from the hardware with no questions asked. This was good, because we were spared from early extinction on one occasion when our rocket exploded on the launch pad, by the very reliable, slowly burning dynamite fuses we could employ, coupled with our ability to run like the wind once the fuse had been lit. Our fuses were in fact much improved over those which Alfred Nobel must have used when he was frightening his own mother. In one of our last experiments before we became so interested in the maturing young women around us that we would not think deeply about rocket fuels for another ten years, we blasted a frog a mile into the air and got him back alive. In another, we inadvertently frightened an airline pilot, who was preparing to land a DC-3 at Columbia airport. Our mistake.

At Dreher High School, we were allowed free, unsupervised access to the chemistry lab. We spent many an afternoon there tinkering. No one got hurt and no lawsuits resulted. They wouldn't let us in there now. Today, we would be thought of as a menace to society. If I'm not mistaken, Alfred Nobel for a time was not allowed to practice his black art on Swedish soil. Sweden, of course, was then and still is a bit ahead of the United States in these matters.

I never tired of tinkering in labs. During the summer breaks from Georgia Tech, Al Montgomery and I built an organic synthesis lab in an old chicken house on the edge of town where we made research chemicals to sell. Most of them were noxious or either explosive. No one else wanted to make them, somebody wanted them, and so their production became our domain. We suffered no boredom and no boss. We made enough money to buy new equipment. Max Gergel, who ran Columbia Organic Chemicals Company, and who was an unusually nice man, encouraged us and bought most of our products, which he resold. There were no government regulators to stifle our fledgling efforts, and it was a golden age, but we didn't notice it. We learned a lot of organic chemistry.

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 18:18

Yeah, Ender, those were the days! A lot of it sounds familiar, or at least similar.

If you haven't read "Uncle Tungsten - Memories of a Chemical Boyhood" by Oliver Sachs by all means find a copy in a used bookstore. He grew up in the 1940's in England and tells some great stories of an even earlier time.

Welcome to Science Madness! You've been so quiet we hardly knew you were here.
ender
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 18:38

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely get "Uncle Tungsten - Memories of a Chemical Boyhood" by Oliver Sachs.

Funny you mention books about the old days of chemistry. I found that quote of Mullis searching for information on Max Gergle. He wrote the book "Excuse Me Sir, Would You Like to Buy a Kilo of Isopropyl Bromide?" It's also supposed to be a very entertaining read.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 19:27

Quote:

I don't even see a problem discussing iodine or phosphorus, they're just elements on the periodic table. They have so many legal uses that I don't think the average chemist would attach any stigma to such a discussion.

What you say may be true for the average chemist. But this would not be true for laymen reading a discussion of these elements. I occaisionally discuss metallurgy outside this forum, but in doing so I would never mention the word phosphorus.
Quote:

I think you must be playing devil's advocate

To some degree you are right. I'm just an advocate of free speech and openness. I think that is why we have such an interesting and productive forum.

I know what you are saying about something not passing the smell test: application specific but evasive, poorly worded request, or presented in a non-professional manner, or even offensively presented, and of course, drug or drug precursor related. You can smell it when you see it.

It really does come down to "smell," and this sense gets fairly well developed by forum members, and fairly quickly too.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 19:51

You know what I think smells?

That this threed has pretty much accomplished nothing but taking over this forum for the past few days and is setup as an attempt to segregate the members of this forum and to arouse more suspicion and disruption thru out the rest of the REAL amature science forum. To me that really stinks that the other topics about chemistry are getting ignored more now just to view a threed about someone crying wolf. I am guilty of this as well but its probably time that we get on with our forum lives with or without Sauron. If he wants to join us thats fine as his knowlage is useful and if he wants to leave thats fine to as his disruption is disrespectful.

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 19:52

Quote: Originally posted by ender  

I thought of your comment today when I read the following....It's from the Nobel speech of Kary Mullis:

Kary Mullis also came up with PCR based on inspiration from an acid trip. (from his book, Making of PCR)
;)

[Edited on 7/10/2009 by Saerynide]

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 20:04

My proposed bans on posts about illicit drugs, explosives and chemical weapons have been put forwatd to the admin od a new forum and he has accepted them. That forum will be active in a few weeks.

Magpie

As chemists we know what is an immediate precursor to an illicit drug and what is a general reagent. We also know what immediate precursors to illegal drugs have significant other chemical utility and which do not.

Many threads on this forum have dealt with prep of P2P and substituted P2Ps. P2P has some industrial uses but not one single post or thread on this forum has been advanced about any such use in the 6 years SM has been running. Amd we all KNOW what the members making it are making it for. Don't play See No Evil games.

I would ban NOT ONE post about a compound with significant chemical utility.

I would not ban tetrazoles, picric acid, and other energetic materials with chemical utility.

I would put a stop to the stupid ATTP posts from kewls and idiots.

The admin would have the discretion to allow or ban posts where there is room for reasonable doubt. I suppose most less than novel posts on TNT would get banned, but someone with something new to say can go ageas, The vast majority of posts about TNT, RDC, PETN ate from kewls and idiots, same old same old, or else newbies in search osf spoonfeeding who ought to be reading books.

Serious energetics chemists are welcome. Example: Axt.

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 20:20

Sedit

That this thread has been at or near the top for several days is due not to me but to the obvious fact that a nerve has been struck.

Quite a few members agree with me and a few have been willing to come forward and express themselves publicly.

Polverone care not except to regurgitate his hollow policies that amount to appearance without substance. Polverone is a natural politician - an insult in case he does not know it.

Various opponents, some of them clearly drug cooks like turd, so aptly named, are noisily on the other side.

That's not a conspiracy at work, it's a grassroots insurrection and soon to be followed by an exodus. No Red Sea to cross, even, and no Pharoah and his army in chase.

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 20:36

No suggestions of conspiracy its just that I see alot of hypocrisy when the forum go's "offline" for people to bitch about people not talking about amature chemistry topics. Of couse a nerve was struck and will be so anytime you bring politics and what I consider religion into a forum. If there is an exodus so be it. Maybe it should have happened along time ago before our forum was over run by people whining about others not sharing there beliefs of right and wrong. The one thing I can say nice about drug cooks is you will never hear them on this forum bitching and moaning and totaly disrupting the forum because you all don't synthesis drugs.

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9

Go To Top