Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9
Author: Subject: Adios
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 10-7-2009 at 12:10

Sauron, your invective has always seemed to be delivered without malice, so why not show the others the magnanimity I saw?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 10-7-2009 at 12:25

Saerynide, thanks for the little history of your interest in chemistry. I'm sure many of us here can relate in terms of an awakening interest in corrosive, smelly, toxic chemicals.

No offense taken, I just wanted you to know that I am not a bitter old man. Just old.

Except that I am absolutely positive that you are the ONLY one here who ever took a trip, allegedly for the sake of science. Absolutely not!

Just kidding. I went to college in the 1960's and 70's.

You say they will never un-ban chemicals. True, but most of them aren't banned. You can still buy them somewhere if you know how. But if you're caught with them, well, you're right about that.

But there have been articles in the popular press and on blogs lamenting the dumbing down of chemistry sets and the criminalization of home chemistry. Robert Thompson has written a popular book on home chemistry and has a squeaky clean website www.homechemlab.com The book is a small step in the right direction, but pretty tame by our standards. Things are so bad that I'm willing to celebrate any victory, no matter how small.

I don't think it's impossible that our hobby could eventually be rehabilitated. Probably not in my lifetime, but maybe in yours. We can only hope.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 10-7-2009 at 18:05

30 months of magnanimity seems to have accomplished little.

Spme wag upthread did a one line post upthread, paraphrasing a Douglas Adams tit;e"

:So long, and thanks for all the books"

There were quite a few books before Mellor that I provided. Two on peptide chem, two on phosphorus, one volume of Org.Reactions. Again, purchased, and scanned by me, not plucked off the Internet. Polverone once gave a long soliloquy about how much he values such people and how few we are, his words ring hollow now.

There's am old saying in the American South:

"Don't piss on my back, and tell me it's raining."

So, sibilant, and I say that without rancor: How do you suggest I show my magnanimity, under the circumstances?

Happy to entertain any reasonable proposal.

[Edited on 11-7-2009 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2009 at 23:08

Polverone

Just a heads up

4shared requires that the free folder be logged into once a month. I accessed it today so have until August 10 to do so again. Needless to say I did not delete anything. Just on general principles you ought to change the PW or move the ATBOIC and Mellor pdfs onto local drives or DVD.

The maintenance of that folfer is no longer my concern or responsibility.

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 10-7-2009 at 23:21

Thanks for the reminder. I do have local copies of everything but it would take a while to upload again.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 00:02

Quite. It's a lot of chemistry.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 05:23

Quote: Originally posted by Sauron  

So, sibilant, and I say that without rancor: How do you suggest I show my magnanimity, under the circumstances?

Well, the fact that in 30 short months you've become the life and soul of SciMad should count for something?
You've informed, entertained, exasperated (in a witty way) and generally done your thing in a non-pedestrian fashion as only you know how. . .
The other thing is, I can't see you as a quitter!

Edit; I replaced the word "stand" with count just so as not to bring G.W. Bush to mind (oops!).

[Edited on 11-7-2009 by hissingnoise]
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 06:42

Not even within families or marriages or even churches do people always get along, there are always going to be arguments and disagreements because different people see things through different eyes with their own interpretations. And there is a kind of beauty is in the eye of the beholder aspect to things, the subjective aspect about many views is unavoidable. Goodwill is the peacemaker, or if you go straight to the truth of the matter, it is that goodwill called love. Love is what brings the tolerance, the forgiveness even of things we cannot understand, and lets us live without being constantly at war or entangled with continuous and wearisome bickering.

Quote:
People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Mother Teresa

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 06:50

Very nice sonogashira, but maybe a bit precipitant---Sauron is weighing things up. . .
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 08:39

Thanks but I see nothing on this page to alter my course.

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 09:35

I will miss Sauron. I think he has been a valuable member here and has given much. I do not all the time agree with his beliefs but I also recognize that he has given me far more than I have given him. I would also be remiss if I forget to mention Nicodem's expert knowledge of organic chemistry. It is a pity that some issues could not have been resolved--this is a case of the rock and the river but it is perhaps inevitable.

If Sauron and others should start a new forum, count on me to be there.

Without Sauron, it will be a different place; however, this forum is in a constant state of evolution. I also miss Len, who seems to have vanished into the aether, along with neutrino, PHILOU, and the many others who were and are giants; scientists I have learned much from in my tenure here as Fleaker (and before). I owe a lot to this forum.

and Painkilla, well put!

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 14:38

Quote:

I don't think it's impossible that our hobby could eventually be rehabilitated. Probably not in my lifetime, but maybe in yours. We can only hope.

What do you expect when the few people practicing it get medieval on each other over some petty insults? If all that effort and tenacity would be used to promote amateur science...

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 16:22

"Let all the worms that lurk in the mud come out."
- Emperor Claudius

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 18:48

Good old Uncle Claw-Claw!

Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 13-7-2009 at 10:56

What is this some kind of long goodbye scene
like from a scientific themed sequel of "The Notebook"
part deux ? Oh sheesh give me a break and knock it off, give us the details, video if possible, detailing the
field trials of your homebrew pheromone with focus primarily on the test subjects ....naked pictures add
enormously to the scientific value :D Show us the
delightful Thai study volunteers for the field trials
instead of keeping everyone in suspense. And if
they are still riding bicycles, hey it gives
"meals on wheels" an interesting twist for the older generation...you might even open up a franchise:D
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2009 at 18:25

Read "Camille" by Emile Zola.

This isn't it.

stygian
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2009 at 19:05

Sauron, I've always found your posts provocative of thought and quite interesting. Choosing to leave/go your own way/take a vacation is entirely up to you. As they say, to each his own. :)
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 06:55

Here's a little something for your medicine pouch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFKGAQpmi8&fmt=18 Celestial Journey
( good for the occasionally Zen affected )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUGYIpMY9GA&fmt=18 In The Morning Light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zJ19wRLnB0&fmt=18 Violet Contemplation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-LKPHNqZKU&fmt=18 Crystals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-HViC9_Puo&fmt=18 REIKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZlzC6uGSUM&fmt=18 Sanctuary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlsARGdSiC4&fmt=18 Heavenly Retreat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpT5MrD44wM&fmt=18 Crown Of Love

Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 12:00

Oh good lord....can we please close the door on this thread?
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 13:59

Hey , that was supposed to be a sleep medicine :D
that stuff sure knocks me out anyway, out like a light :P

Have Sweet Dreams

When your karma is out of kilter, this stuff is supposed to be like seeing the karma chiropractor for a little adjustment,
you know.... it's supposed to be good for what ails you.

[Edited on 18-7-2009 by Rosco Bodine]
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 20:23

Sauron,

If you hang out a bit more, I'll get my violin out and play you a beautiful, sad song?
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 20:25

For Nicodem to accuse a pair of .evel headed and reasonable members of arrogance boggles the mind.

They did well against the onslaughts of the bigmouthed n00b F of D., and the perpetual gadfly and kibbitzer hissingnoise, who as his handle implies rarely says anything ,ore substantive than steam escaping.

These big words make me think perhaps your a crazy Hannibal Lechter type, eeeK! J/K. So orry 2cu > :(
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 20:35

This has nothing to so with stopping drug cooking, the nsture of carbon, or the DEA.\\It has nothing to do with anything BUT an initiative to have an amateur chemistry forum at least substantially free from kewls, idiots, and drug cooks.

Not this forum, sad to say. This forum is overrun by kewls, idiots and cooks and the admin and mods merely make a pretense of reversing that.

But a new forum where such as I proposed is the wish and will of the admin. A place safe for CHEMISTS not cooks.

And no matter what anyone says a chemist who cooks illicit drugs is a cook. He need not say SWIM, he need not ask for spoonfeeding, and he need not use doper acronyms, He is still a cook.

Sedit thinks I am destroying amateur chemistry somehow with this thread. I would like to point out that this thread is not monolithic. I would also like to point out that there are 19 other threads in the Todays Posts page at this time. And I would mention that this forum is not the entirety of amateur chemistry.

Logic clealrly is not your strong suit, sedit, Get that pinball machine and play some mean pinball, you deaf dumb and blind Pinball Wizard. Such a supple wrist!

[Edited on 10-7-2009 by Sauron]

My dear Sauron, I was once in an IRC #warez channel...forgot which one. But some regular nick comes in and starts blabbering (without anyone asking him) that, "Well, I don't use cracked this or cracked that, BTW, I buy everything, just for y our info, etc."

It was SO OBVIOUS this guy was a three-way combo paranoid/no balls/baby, and that he really was using the warez, but wanted to give the appearance that he wasn't.

Even most (otherwise) 100% legal chem hobbyists will dabble in drugs or explosives (or both), especially when they are younger. But for the most part, they are decent people. And maybe the worst thing they do is make something they shouldn't, but it ends there (doesn't get ingested by anyone but the maker). It's just that...when you say what you said about the drug makers ruining things...it really reminded me of paranoid guy who proclaimed (for everyone's benefit), that "HEY, just so you know, BY THE WAY, I do NOT use WARES".

So Sauron, do I think you have done any illegal chemistry experiments? ROFL!
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 21:15

Hey, here's a nickel, buy a clue, when it comes to academic snobbery, Just say NO!
Polverone

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 21:33

I didn't want to stifle discussion earlier, but it looks like he has finished saying his goodbyes.

[Edited on 7-19-2009 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Polverone
Thread Closed
18-7-2009 at 21:34
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9

Go To Top