Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sulfuryl chloride
ammonium isocyanate
Hazard to Others

Mood: sick :(

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 14:17
Sulfuryl chloride

I've been looking for a while for a supplier for sulfuryl chloride but haven't had any luck. I need it for several experiments (preparation of p-toluenesulfonyl chloride, sulfuryl chloride fluoride, etc.), and so I need a reasonable amount (~250mL).

I know it can be made from SO2 and Cl2 using a camphor or activated charcoal catalyst, but that seems like alot of work given the quantaties I need. Also, I haven't found a supplier for camphor (which would be my preffered method), so if anyone knows where to get it, I would appreciate it.

I have seen it in several people's orders. Anyone know a supplier that will ship to individuals in the USA?

I know I have asked about this in a couple of other posts. If my redundancy is getting annoying, please tell me and I'll be sure to stop.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 16:06

Google camphor blocks. Here's one seller:

http://www.originalprodcorp.com/catalog/Camphor-Blocks-p-317...

Humco has it also.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
ammonium isocyanate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 18:16

Thank you very much for the camphor supplier... I had tried googling camphor but kept getting homeopathic remedies based on white camphor essential oil (which has pretty much no camphor). You wouldn't happen to know how big the blocks are?

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 18:20

For making larger amounts of SO2Cl2 using activated carbon as the catalyst appears to be more satisfactory, as it is easier to run in a continuous mode.

Obtaining it ready made may be problematic, if you search the site for "sulfuryl chloride" you'll find several threads where purchasing it come up, suppliers, and reasons why purchasing were not practical for the commenter.

According to this http://www.drugsdepot.com/viewitem.php/drugsdepot/pd220200/C... a block is one ounce of camphor.

The ones I'm used to are larger, there's someone selling them on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/64-pcs-1-lb-Elephant-Camphor-blocks-camp...

[Edited on 17-7-2009 by not_important]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 18:30

According to Wiki Indians (the sub-continent type) use it in cooking and call it "edible camphor." If you have an Indian grocery store locally check there.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 18:30

Camphor is used in confection flavouring and in incense in the Indian community. I can purchase it from a local specialty Indian spice supply shop. You may be able to do the same.
ammonium isocyanate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 19:53

Thanks for all the information!

I doubt I'll be able to find any camphor locally, given that the largest nearby city is ~10,000 people.

I would prefer to use the camphor catalyst because the aparatus described in the pdf I found (linked to it off this website, don't remember where, search sulfuryl chloride to find it) used stuff I had for the camphor aparatus but I would need more equipment for the activated charcoal based aparatus.

helzblack
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-5-2021 at 14:41

Quote: Originally posted by ammonium isocyanate  
I've been looking for a while for a supplier for sulfuryl chloride but haven't had any luck. I need it for several experiments (preparation of p-toluenesulfonyl chloride, sulfuryl chloride fluoride, etc.), and so I need a reasonable amount (~250mL).

I know it can be made from SO2 and Cl2 using a camphor or activated charcoal catalyst, but that seems like alot of work given the quantaties I need. Also, I haven't found a supplier for camphor (which would be my preffered method), so if anyone knows where to get it, I would appreciate it.

I have seen it in several people's orders. Anyone know a supplier that will ship to individuals in the USA?

I know I have asked about this in a couple of other posts. If my redundancy is getting annoying, please tell me and I'll be sure to stop.

What's the procedure to turn sulfuryl chloride into p-toluenesulfonyl chloride?
FrenchChemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-7-2021 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by helzblack  

What's the procedure to turn sulfuryl chloride into p-toluenesulfonyl chloride?

maybe the author got confused with sulfinyl chloride which is just thionyl chloride
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2021 at 06:34

Quote: Originally posted by ammonium isocyanate  
Thank you very much for the camphor supplier... I had tried googling camphor but kept getting homeopathic remedies based on white camphor essential oil (which has pretty much no camphor). You wouldn't happen to know how big the blocks are?

There usually a few inches by an inch or two.about the size of a bar of soap.
My supermarket had 50g blocks around this size.

Go To Top