Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dicyanobis(1,10-phenanthrolin)Fe(II)
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 12:51
Dicyanobis(1,10-phenanthrolin)Fe(II)

How would prepare this compound from common reagents? I didn't find anything about this stuff. (Alfa Ventron 12 189)
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 13:09

You'd need to prepare 1,10-phenanthroline. The easiest way to do this is probably via the skraup quinoline synthesis using o-phenylenediamine instead of aniline.

Knowing that the abbreviation "phen" is often used instead of 1,10-phenanthroline when discussiing it's complexes may help your search.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 13:16

Have you checked Inorganic Synthesis? I'lll have a look if you want monday at work..

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 13:41

I've preparated the1,10-phenanthroline yet. It was a nasty work. (Unendless extraktion with benzene, see Vogel) The next step, what I need, building the above complex. Probably 1,10-phenanthroline with FeSO4 or Fe(II)NH4)2 SO4 to bring to boil in water, then add KCN. Precipitate? I will try it.
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 13:56

Quote: Originally posted by Klute  
Have you checked Inorganic Synthesis?
Not yet, i'll to look it first on Monday too.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 14:08

It's in Inorganic Syntheses Volume 12.

Quote:
This synthesis should be performed in the hood. Potassium cyanide hydrolyzes under appropriate conditions to generate hydrogen cyanide.

The dark-red solution obtained on dissolving 6.0 g. (0.030 mole) of 1,10-phenanthroline monohydrate together with 3.9 g. (0.010 mole) of ferrous ammonium sulfate hexahydrate in 400 ml. of water is heated to just below the boiling point. A freshly prepared solution of 10 g. of potassium cyanide in 20 ml. of
water is added all at once to the hot solution. After thorough stirring, the hot mixture is set aside to cool at room temperature. Dark violet, almost black, dense, fine crystals develop rapidly. Precipitation is complete within several minutes; however, an aging period of an hour or longer is considered beneficial. The yield of crude product, after filtration and generous washing with water, is approximately 5 g. The filtrate contains about 2 g. of free 1,10-phenanthroline that can be recovered by extraction with either benzene or diethyl ether.

For purification, the crude product is dissolved in 30 ml. of concentrated sulfuric acid. To the vigorously stirred solution 1 l. of water is slowly added. The recrystallized product is collected by suction filtration and washed thoroughly with small portions of water until free of sulfuric acid. A final rinse with acetone facilitates drying. The product is vacuum-dried at room temperature. The final yield ranges from 4.0 to 4.9 g. (80-98% based on the iron(II) salt).

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 14:54

Thanks Polverone!
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 14:57

A closely related compound, o-phenanthroline, is a standard colorimetric and spectrophotometric reagent for testing for iron in waters. It produces an intense red color with traces of dissolved Fe.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 20:23

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  
A closely related compound, o-phenanthroline, is a standard colorimetric and spectrophotometric reagent for testing for iron in waters. It produces an intense red color with traces of dissolved Fe.

o-phenanthroline is 1,10-phenanthroline.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 21-7-2009 at 12:44

Aqua Regia, how did you prepare the 1,10-phenanthroline. Did you use arsenic acid as the directions in Vogel specify. I am interested in 1,10-phenanthroline, but I do not have arsenic acid available. I am looking for another method of running this synthesis without using arsenic. The normal Skraup synthesis is claimed not to work very well with o-phenylenediamine, so arsenic acid is used instead of sulfuric acid. Could phosphoric acid be substituted?

Amateur NMR spectroscopist

Go To Top