Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Amide reduction: LiAlH4 vs BH3
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 05:15

ok ok ,maybe Al cannot be used.but now you agree that the reaction is not impossible.
amides can be reduced by reagents other than hydrides .
actually I always had this doubt.Why can't Al be used in the place of Zn.If you see the electrochemical series,Al is below Zn.doesn't that mean Al is a better reducing agent than Zn ?
i found a good thread on Al/Hg
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12514

[Edited on 15-5-2015 by CuReUS]
Luderlasse
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 06:42

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  
Quote: Originally posted by byko3y  
CuReUS, are you serious? Do you want to say it's actually possible to reduce amine by using aluminium metal?

I saw it in a book,i am uploading that part in the word file

Could you give more details about that book?
Are there an experimental section on that reduction?

Thanks
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  

Well, maybe hard to get for some people, but if you can acquire it, do so.

Shame how it seems inaccessible to many, and the synthesis per FR1515582A is rather unappealing from a hobbyist standpoint.

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  
ok ok ,maybe Al cannot be used.but now you agree that the reaction is not impossible.

You're being silly. If Al can't be used, the reaction using aluminum hasn't been shown to be possible in a lab. Sometimes using a transition metal with a lower reduction potential actually alters your reaction rather than yield, as I implicated in an indole ring closure discussion previously. Primary literature is invaluable, so I have to yet again recommend you use it when speculating. As far as the book goes, it's either Organic Reactions: Mechanisms with Problems by Tyagi, page 26 or Organic Name Reactions Reagents and Molecular Rearrangements by Raj page A-25. Neither appear to give citations for this transformation, though if I missed it, I would appreciate seeing it.

The source you quote appears to be using a Clemmenson reduction. Given I can't find a literature citation of this, the importance of which I have stressed to you in the past, I have to assume this is a textbook error. These things, sadly, happen. Helv. Chim Acta (1952), 35, pp1577 follows a similar scheme with LAH. Even assuming this Clemmenson is a valid scheme, not only is it useless without experimental conditions, but note how the example is a primary amide. Here is an example of what I can only presume to be similar conditions (without a methodology) leaving secondary and tertiary amides untouched in a molecule: J Antibiot (Tokyo) 1987 Jan;40(1):14–21. See pages 14 section "chemistry" near the bottom and the scheme on 15 for summary.
Find actual peer-reviewed experimentals of a secondary amide if you like.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 23:50

Quote:
You're being silly. If Al can't be used, the reaction using aluminum hasn't been shown to be possible in a lab.

no no,I didn't mean that using Al was possible,I meant that amides could be reduced by other reagents,other than borohydrides.everyone seems to think that any other way is impossible
Quote:
As far as the book goes, it's either Organic Reactions: Mechanisms with Problems by Tyagi, page 26 or Organic Name Reactions Reagents and Molecular Rearrangements by Raj page A-25.

yes,you are correct,its from the organic name reactions,reagents and molecular rearrangements.I found it from google books
Quote:
Neither appear to give citations for this transformation

that's the exact problem I faced,even after searching so much,i couldn't find any reference.but why will someone make it up just like that ? If its an error,what do you think should be the correction.The scheme itself is dubious,do we have to pass H2 or is that [H] referring to nascent Hydrogen formed by the action of acid on metal ?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 01:48

I would expect that it was an editing error and that LAH would be the correct reagent.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 18:38

Here look on page 166, it starts at the bottom of this page:
This will clear everything up you are saying CuReUS ;)
Kindest Regards

Attachment: reductions in o-chem.pdf (4MB)
This file has been downloaded 556 times

CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 22:23

I quickly glanced over the pdf(which I already have) and the only thing I found was that sodium and sodium amalgam reduce amides but in very low yields
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top