Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Corning Hot Plate/Stirrers...
SweetNLow
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2003 at 10:44
Corning Hot Plate/Stirrers...

I'm trying to figure out the size of the support rod mount on the following models.

Corning PC-320 Hot Plate/Stirrer
Corning PC-520 Hot Plate/Stirrer

I've been searching around the web and although I've found many web sites that carry them, they often neglect to include details on the item specifications.

If anyone knows, please post your info.

Thanks
Z-Row
Harmless

Mood: Bemused

[*] posted on 29-3-2004 at 22:37

I'm not certain about the PC-520 but my PC-320 uses a 1/2" support rod with a 5/16" coarse threaded end. The threaded end is about 1/2" long. The longest ones I found online were 18" (and cost over $25) so I went to the hardware store and bought a 36" long 1/2" rod then brought it to a local machine shop and had them lathe the end down to 5/16" and thread it. Total cost < $10.
radiance88
Hazard to Self

Mood: a little less evil than usual

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 04:13

I've been having trouble with this since I bought my Corning PC-520 off of Ebay. It didn't come with a support rod attachment and so I went to town to find myself a half-inch thick rod, so that I could have it machined to the specification that Z-Row had. I couldn't find anything, despite looking all over.

The closest that I could find was threaded 5/16 '' rod. After taking it home I found that it didn't fit the thread on the stand.

Evidently the PC-520 uses a larger, thicker thread on it than the other models.

So at least now anyone who attempts this on a 520 knows that 5/16 '' is -not- what you're looking for. It's a larger thread, I'm still not sure about the size though. I'm still trying to figure out how to replace it.

[Edited on 18-2-2015 by radiance88]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 04:26

Is it perhaps a metric size?
This is where I would get out my jar of bolts and gently see which ones fit. I would then take my bolt (or even better a nut that fits) down to the hardware store to find something that works.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 04:31

The UK plates that I've used take a M10 coarse thread. I had a support rod custom made at a local engineering firm for 20 quid, as I wanted one a bit longer (1000mm) than the original (600mm) and was,'t willing to pay what IKA were asking.

This is the case for Heidolph and IKA - I'm not sure about Corning..

[Edited on 18-2-2015 by DJF90]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 14:57

Quote: Originally posted by radiance88  
I've been having trouble with this since I bought my Corning PC-520 off of Ebay. It didn't come with a support rod attachment and so I went to town to find myself a half-inch thick rod, so that I could have it machined to the specification that Z-Row had. I couldn't find anything, despite looking all over.

The closest that I could find was threaded 5/16 '' rod. After taking it home I found that it didn't fit the thread on the stand.

Evidently the PC-520 uses a larger, thicker thread on it than the other models.

So at least now anyone who attempts this on a 520 knows that 5/16 '' is -not- what you're looking for. It's a larger thread, I'm still not sure about the size though. I'm still trying to figure out how to replace it.

[Edited on 18-2-2015 by radiance88]

I would suggest buying a couple bolts of varying sizes to get the correct fit.

At least it's a place to start.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-2-2015 at 15:14

i use a Corning PC-420 that I bought used and I was in a similar situation. The IKA prices were ridiculous. I ended up going to Lowes and buying an 18" piece of all thread and a couple of nuts and a lock washer, for about $7. It works well. I think the rod was 5/16" or so, I cant remember. I cant believe we dont use metric yet, how embarrassing!

Go To Top