Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Brexit effect - reagent dry up from/to the UK
Mush
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 14:16
Brexit effect - reagent dry up from/to the UK

If one follows politics may be aware , that the UK about to leave EU. There is a big chance for a no deal, unless Canada style deal will be made but this scenario is unlikely knowing that tories don't support this bill.

That means by 2019. March 29. it's likely that almost any goods that cross the border have to be declared.It's very sad that the UK/EU home chemists will be isolated from honey pots vice versa :(.

[Edited on 7-1-2019 by Mush]
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 15:16

Yes, this does worry me too. Stupid decision.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 16:00

Quote: Originally posted by Mush  
If one follows politics may be aware , that the UK about to leave EU. There is a big chance for a no deal, unless Canada style deal will be made but this scenario is unlikely knowing that tories don't support this bill.

That means by 2019. March 29. it's likely that almost any goods that cross the border have to be declared.It's very sad that the UK/EU home chemists will be isolated from honey pots vice versa :(.

[Edited on 7-1-2019 by Mush]

Best possible thing for the UK would be hard brexit, I'm sure with the EU and their worthless beurocrisy and red tape will make things much cheaper in the long run for us all.

I look forward to future trade with the UK again with good prices and fast shipping!
Mush
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 16:35

Quote:

Best possible thing for the UK would be hard brexit, I'm sure with the EU and their worthless beurocrisy and red tape will make things much cheaper in the long run for us all. I look forward to future trade with the UK again with good prices and fast shipping!

You can't be serious!:o
Hard berxit=hard border=no free flow of chemicals. How can this be good for us?
Moreover, future trade with the UK will be more expensive, slower shipping and bureaucratic due to tons of paperwork (even for businesses).

Just a handful of businesses will benefit of this soap opera what is going on there, most businesses will suffer.

My intention was to warn people to prepare the worst.

Irrelevant what sort of deal will be made (apart from a new referendum), it will stop the flow of chems.

[Edited on 8-1-2019 by Mush]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 17:16

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

Best possible thing for the UK would be hard brexit,

You spelled "worst" incorrectly there.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 02:27

The UK will go to the brink, gaze into the abyss and wisely decide that a second referendum is the most democratic way to end Putin's trickery...

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 02:51

I doubt that BREXIT will significantly change the flow of imports from China, or impede my supplies from Poland.
I can't remember buying anything from Europe (other than Poland) for my chemistry hobby.
I doubt that we will impose export restrictions ... we will need every penny available.
.................................................................................................

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
The UK will go to the brink, gaze into the abyss and wisely decide that a second referendum is the most democratic way to end Putin's trickery...

If you think that Putin had any significant influence on BREXIT then you are mistaken.
(and probably a Clinton supporter)
It was more a case of frustration with the political elite,
similar to the reasons that Trump was elected. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cantillon

[Edited on 8-1-2019 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 05:55

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

If you think that Putin had any significant influence on BREXIT then you are mistaken.

Mr Putin's friends have been doing their best to destabilise other countries governments with a view to making his look better in comparison.
Why would they not have supported Brexit?
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 06:29

Luckily I don't live in EU/UK so no need to pick sides or argue about brexit with you guys (unless prices of something in my country will be changed):P

wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 08:02

I doubt that BREXIT will significantly change the flow of imports from China, or impede my supplies from Poland.
I can't remember buying anything from Europe (other than Poland) for my chemistry hobby.
I doubt that we will impose export restrictions ... we will need every penny available.
.................................................................................................

It was more a case of frustration with the political elite,
similar to the reasons that Trump was elected. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cantillon

There probably was a frustration effect against the political elite but I think primary it was older people concerned about immigration and the view that the EU was interfering with our laws. Not helped by the negative press the EU usually got. The money we were supposed to save was a bonus.

Unfortunately a lot of that money we were supposed to save if we leave will be spent on the new bureaucrates we will have to create that was previously done by the EU.

I should add I was a remainer. We don't rule the waves anymore, we are not much more than a little island of the coast of Europe so it made sense to me to be a county in the EU. But I think if we do leave lets leave fully but what do we do with Northern Ireland.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 08:13

Adding politics to internet forums is like adding calcium hypochlorite to DOT 3 brake fluid:

This conversation looks relatively stable and chemistry-related (focusing on how Brexit will effect chemical shipments), but if I'm not mistaken, it's only a matter of time before the flaming starts.

[Edited on 8-1-2019 by Vomaturge]
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 08:25

Quote: Originally posted by Vomaturge  
Politics + internet forums is like calcium hypochlorite + DOT 3 brake fluid:

This conversation looks stable, but if I'm not mistaken, it's only a matter of time before the flaming starts.
Nice simile

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 08:30

I'm currently working in an academic lab at Cambridge University. We regularly order important reagents from countries in Europe (mostly from Germany). If this gets disrupted, we won't be able to continue research. Therefore, I really hope a no-deal Brexit doesn't happen.

I don't agree with every regulation the EU has put into place (and I realize that some of them are quite bad) but on the whole I think science in the UK would be better off if the UK were to remain in the EU.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 08:34

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
I'm currently working in an academic lab at Cambridge University. We regularly order important reagents from countries in Europe (mostly from Germany). If this gets disrupted, we won't be able to continue research. Therefore, I really hope a no-deal Brexit doesn't happen.

I don't agree with every regulation the EU has put into place (and I realize that some of them are quite bad) but on the whole I think science in the UK would be better off if the UK were to remain in the EU.

It will balance out int he end Uk has all the bargaining power, atm it is being sabotaged from incompetent leadership.

Sovereignty of your land is far more vital then some inconveniences!
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 09:37

I'm currently working in an academic lab at Cambridge University. We regularly order important reagents from countries in Europe (mostly from Germany). If this gets disrupted, we won't be able to continue research.

Would customs tarrifs prevent research ?

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 09:47

A lot of people don't realise that, over the last 20 years or so, the UK government has only opposed about 2% of EU legislation ( we agreed or didn't care about the other 98%).
Pretty much the only topic where we disagree is tax avoidance which the EU want to clamp down on but the UK govt wants to permit to continue.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 09:52

Would customs tarrifs prevent research ?

Customs delays prevent research, but that's not the big effect.

There's a lot of international research funded by the EU. Britain will no longer be part of that , so that rules us out of major projects.
And also, the way that EU nationals are treated means that scientists will no longer be so keen to come here to participate in research.

Brexit's a disaster for our research

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/nov/27/academics-...
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 10:01

It will balance out in the end Uk has all the bargaining power, atm it is being sabotaged from incompetent leadership.

Sovereignty of your land is far more vital then some inconveniences!

The UK currently has some bargaining power- roughly in proportion to our GDP (the same as France, rather less than Germany). It has a place in the EU and it has voting rights there.
Post Brexit we will no longer have that influence.

It's said that we will be able to make our own laws and that's true.
But, our industries will still have to follow EU rules if they wish to sell products their.
So our workforce will still be following EU standards, but we will no longer be in a position to influence those standards.

I really don't see that as keeping our sovereignty.

I also don't see trashing the economy as "some inconvenience".
In particular, it will destroy our healthcare system
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 11:08

If you are unable to see Putin's hand behind Brexit and that absolute POS illegitimately in the White House, you're either childishly naive or just mentally lazy ─ which is a pity, as I'd assumed you to be intelligent enough to be left-leaning...

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 11:50

This thread smells gunpowdery...
BREAKING NEWS: fire hazard rises to 100%:P

[Edited on 190108 by fusso]

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 12:49

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
This thread smells gunpowdery...
BREAKING NEWS: fire hazard rises to 100%:P

Dunno fusso, the oxidation seems to have stalled, somewhat?

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 13:18

If you are unable to see Putin's hand behind Brexit and that absolute POS illegitimately in the White House, you're either childishly naive or just mentally lazy ─ which is a pity, as I'd assumed you to be intelligent enough to be left-leaning...

Or you enjoy conspiracy theories and suffering some sever mental dissidence.

One is much more probable then the other.

All so what the left has become you'd need a lobotomy to be "Smart enough to be left"

Sorry trump won he IS your president, and The people Voted leave and that means LEAVE

People are fed up with nanny statism, Boarders being ignored, excetra.
One side refused to listen to the average person, and now they have been booted out we have had to deal with the autistic screeching since.

[Edited on 8-1-2019 by XeonTheMGPony]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 13:34
Just a copy available for later introspection

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 14:52

The people Voted leave and that means LEAVE
[Edited on 8-1-2019 by XeonTheMGPony]

And they have changed their mind since 2016.
So, we should stay.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 15:03

Moderator hat is on.
Hissingnoise, I count one unsubstantiated and inflammatory assertion and three perjorative slurs. That is a lot for a two-line post. Please don't do that again. Ditto others who are playing close to the line.

I am leaving tjis thread open for now because I think there are some important science-related matters here tjat would be beneficial to discuss. Just play by the rules ok.
/mod hat.

From where I stand, one of the big issues was that people were asked to vote without the ability to see or understand all of the implications. I think this is a problem in most democracies on matters of importance.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top