Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Daigger?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 05:29

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  

I've never had any problems ordering from Daigger.:)

Quote: Originally posted by wymanthescienceman  
Not sure if it is of any help now, but I recently just placed an order with Daigger after reading about them in this thread. I had no trouble ordering from them at all. ... and best of all will ship to individuals!

...Highly recommended.

You're welcome!

[Edited on 14-8-2009 by entropy51]
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 07:20

Thanks guys!

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your DCM and HNO3 (including shipping)?

I may order some sodium and potassium metal from them. It's always fun to play around with those (as well as quite useful).
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 08:52

Daigger is an old and reputable firm that has been a lot more flexible than some of the others over the years. I have traded with them in the past. I found them easy to work with even before I had company credentials.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 11:54

That's good news to me, but due to my age, I can't pay by credit card..... Will they accept Paypal based transfers?
wymanthescienceman
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 12:20

Well the shipping for my order was just under $30 for everything after the HAZMAT, but I got 2 500ml bottles of EtAc and 1 of DCM , as well as the 2.5L jug of HNO3, among various other things. My order was just under $50 before shipping.

Yeah the shipping seems high but when you can't get certain things anywhere else at good prices like these, the shipping doesn't really matter anymore. I mean 2.5L ACS Grade HNO3 for under $20? Seems good to me since I have no local suppliers. The DCM was Reagent Grade, 500ml for just over $4.

I don't believe they take Paypal, so you're out of luck there. I saw only credit cards as accepted payments, but I did not check everywhere on the site for other payment options. Also I don't think they carry K metal, although they do carry Na, and at <$10 per 100g! I don't need any Na anymore since I have a lot of it, but that is a really good price for small quantities.

[Edited on 8-14-2009 by wymanthescienceman]

Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails.
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 06:10

Well I placed an order with Daigger, some standard chemicals 2.5L nitric acid, 1L chloroform, 1L DCM and 500g of anhydrous AlCl3. They all said "in stock" or "ships within 17 days" That was 15 days ago and today I get an email saying

"I have had to cancel your order (Daigger Confirmation # ********) as all
of the chemicals on this order have been discontinued. I do apologize
for any inconvenience that this may cause."

INCONVENIENCE?!?! :mad:

How long does it take to check whether or not something is discontinued or not and i fit was why was it still on the website???

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 09:59

Quote: Originally posted by crazyboy  
Well I placed an order with Daigger, some standard chemicals 2.5L nitric acid, 1L chloroform, 1L DCM and 500g of anhydrous AlCl3. They all said "in stock" or "ships within 17 days" That was 15 days ago and today I get an email saying

"I have had to cancel your order (Daigger Confirmation # ********) as all of the chemicals on this order have been discontinued."
I found this curious enough to look into. The reagent grade chloroform is discontinued, though not the lab grade. The 2.5 L nitric acid is still stocked, though no longer in 4-packs. The aluminum chloride is no longer stocked. But the DCM still is. So their email is at least partly right, and the error may have been laziness.

There's a lot of stuff on that site that says "ships in 17 days". Well, that means that they buy it after you order (and pay, usually) for it. It's clearly one of the reasons their prices are so low, because their inventory cost and risk are much lower than a company that stocked it all themselves.

Given the recent cancellation of so many chemicals, combined with their inventory practice, leads me to surmise that Daigger recently lost a relationship with one of its main reagent suppliers.
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 18:31

Hey, I got an idea.

What if I pay any one of you with a credit card via Paypal so somehow I could get whatever I need shipped here? Is there a way for one to redirect shipping to another address?

Is this a reasonable idea?
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 18:49

Quote: Originally posted by Rich_Insane  
Hey, I got an idea.

What if I pay any one of you with a credit card via Paypal so somehow I could get whatever I need shipped here? Is there a way for one to redirect shipping to another address?

Is this a reasonable idea?

1. If you're too young for a credit card get your parents to do it for you, if they won't you have no business ordering from them.

2. Why would anyone go through that hassle when you could just get the chemical somewhere else.

3. As my post revealed which was confirmed by watson and another member Swede Daigger is pretty much out of everything.

Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 19:06

1. I was just going to order some HNO3 or some DCM. I was going to go ahead and make some HNO3, but I decided that assembling a distillation system out of my Ahlinn condenser and some improvised joint would not only be a lot of work, but also dangerous. I was going to make CHCl3 (I like DCM a bit better) anyways with Acetone and Calcium hypochlorite. It's not like not ordering from Daigger would do any good. It's just that it would take longer (I don't really like the improvised chloroform method anyways, all the methods I've seen need massive amounts of ice, acetone, and calcium hypochlorite).

2. Those pyro supply stores don't sell a lot of the good stuff I need, or they don't sell at good prices (e.g Acids, most reagents, solvents).

3. According to the website, a lot of stuff that still applies to me is still in stock....... I think they even added MORE chemicals on the list.
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 19:44

You didn't address my first point regarding your parents consent and your age. I wasn't referring to pyro supply stores, there are other places that sell lab chemicals you just need to look for them. Yes there website says they have stuff in stock but they did when I ordered as well, I am pretty pissed of at Daigger, they won't be my first choice of I can help it.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 06:53

I had a very good experience with Daigger. But that was a few months back. My impression at the time was that they were having a fire sale.

My thanks to Rich_Insane.

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 17:44

They did not ship my lead nitrate and HNO3. It's a shame, but I don't think I will be doing further business with them.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top