Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What does partitioned mean?
ammonium isocyanate
Hazard to Others

Mood: sick :(

[*] posted on 31-7-2009 at 21:13

Quote: Originally posted by Agent MadHatter  

So wouldn't a solution of Baking soda in water, mix with the Ethylacetate? Or does the baking soda make the polarity to wide?

As I understand it, the ethyl acetate would tend not to dissolve in the water because of osmotic pressure. I do not believe sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is soluble in ethyl acetate, and so any water in the ethyl acetate would tend to move into the aqueous phase in order to dilute the bicarbonate solution.

Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 31-7-2009 at 21:39

Stoichiometric steve: What organic reactions even exist in which you need to extract hot saturated NaOH? I use ethyl acetate almost every day to partition against 1N NaOH and absolutely never have a problem. The only time hydrolysis becomes an issue is when you leave it in contact with the base for a long period of time... which is rarely the case.

Toluene is not all that good at dissolving moderately polar compounds... it's high boiling, and it smells bad :P I have not once used toluene for extractions... but I guess you can buy it at ACE.

Agent MadHatter: Ethyl acetate and water are immiscible... if you increase the polarity ("osmolarity") of the water by adding a solute (especially ionic salts) it mixes even less with water. I highly suggest that you try performing a partition, as it will quickly make a whole lot more sense how this all goes down.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top