Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FTIR/NMR services in Australia
Formula409
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 01:32
FTIR/NMR services in Australia

Hello there.

Just wondering if anybody in Australia knows of any services akin to http://www.process-nmr.com/price%20sched.htm whereby I can send in a sample and will get a nice, interpreted spectra. Am planning to produce several prepublication articles including:

Alkylation of phenols/phenolic aldehydes with Dialkyl Oxalate
Reductive methyl/ethylation of Camphor using thiourea dioxide
Reductive of ketones to alcohols with thiourea dioxide

However, I will be apprehensive to publishing these unless I can perform some sort of purity analysis on the products. If any member knows of such a place, or is happy to perform the analysis for a fee, don't hesitate to let me know :)

Formula409.

Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 22:37

There are places in .au which perform such services. At the university where I work, there is a company based in Perth (I believe) which performs 'micro'. There services are pretty neat and include spectral (IR, UV/Vis), NMR and MS assisted GC, HPLC etc. plus a range of processing related tests - column, and crystallisation solvent system development and much more!

Hey, I'm starting to sound like a shill here! haha

I understand they can do most of this work on a single sample of 5mg or so: I've never had to use their services. I don't know the price. I'll ask on Monday, but I expect it to be high, as the work is quite technical.

The NMR site you linked to looks like a rather expensive outlay for just a proton! and 175 p/h for interpretation?! shit a brick

All you really need to interpret simple proton spectra is a good reference book IMHO

Caveat Orator
Formula409
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 23:58

Thank you very much, I await your response on Monday. If they offer a service that just provides a spectra which I can interpret that is fine.

Thank you very much!

Formual409.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 00:55

Most universities in Europe (those that have NMR machines) offer this service, so maybe it is like this in Australia as well. You could just phone to the nearest chemical faculty and ask if they can do you a few proton spectras and how much it would cost you. Here the prices range in the few tens of euros (~20-50) depending on how much they value their NMR working time and weather it is for an commercial or research oriented customer. Don't have a clue how it is like in Australia though - just trying to direct you to the most obvious option. Not to mention that if you have a friend working at a lab, this service will cost just a coffee.
Make sure you only send pure samples when it is about the compound identification (TLC pure or sharp mp), so you don't waste your money on ugly products (unless you want to use 1H NMR for determining product ratios in the reaction mixture, crude products, etc.).
As far as interpreting the spectra, a lot of members here can do that. I don't see why you would have to pay anybody for that. Like Ramiel said, a book is all it takes. Additionally comparison to analogous compounds by using a spectroscopic database like SDBS, or even Sigma's catalogue, helps a lot.
Formula409
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 03:28

I have located a service of the type I was looking for:
http://www.chem.usyd.edu.au/~long/pricing.html

However their "Analysis Service" from non-uni members cost $150 per HOUR. I wonder how long it takes them to analyse the sample?! Hopefully Ramiel's reply will offer a cheaper service!

Formula409.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 12:31

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
(cut) As far as interpreting the spectra, a lot of members here can do that. I don't see why you would have to pay anybody for that. Like Ramiel said, a book is all it takes. Additionally comparison to analogous compounds by using a spectroscopic database like SDBS, or even Sigma's catalogue, helps a lot.

The Aldrich Spectral Viewer 1.1, for interpreting and identifying NMR and FT-IR spectra, is currently available as a TPB Torrent download, 653 Mb. Also, on or about the 17th, I will be uploading it, along with the Aldrich Library of FT-NMR Spectra and other related material (totaling about 830 Mb), including instructional material, to rapidshare.com .
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 10-8-2009 at 05:33

Apparently we send our samples to the 'states. When I asked which city that was around, like Sydney or Melbourne, I was informed that it was the United States... so it's unlikely this will be the cheapest option for you since HNMR alone costs close to AUD 200.

I find it hard to reconcile such a high cost for one proton acquisition! I mean hell, I just ran 3 protons on a 400 for the hell of it. Perhaps I'm spoiled?

I hope you find a solution, and if all else fails, I would befriend someone at a university. For faculty members, protons are free or almost so.

Caveat Orator
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 07:37

Quote: Originally posted by Ramiel  

I find it hard to reconcile such a high cost for one proton acquisition! I mean hell, I just ran 3 protons on a 400 for the hell of it. Perhaps I'm spoiled?

So you'll be sympathetic when my samples arrive in the mail i take it, run them just for the hell of it for me.
:D:D

Go To Top