Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Ozonelabs Video. The Halogens- Chlorine
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 12:30
New Ozonelabs Video. The Halogens- Chlorine

Any comments regarding this video, or any possible reactions for Bromine or Iodine please do let us know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvtAEmXQg_Q

basstabone
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 13:04

you guys always have the best music with your demonstrations! For bromine you could always do the reaction of bromine and aluminum or something along those lines. Do a classic test for hypochlorite or other reducing compounds with iodine strips or something like that.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 13:14

Thank you for the fine video. I enjoyed it, especially the burning of sodium in Cl2.

This is another fine production of Ozonelabs. You not only have demonstrated some good halogen chemistry, but shown how to do it the right way, ie, safely.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 13:34

Nice!

Some interesting reactions with bromine:

-Dropping a few drops of bromine in concentrated ammonia. Very vigorous reaction with lots of smoke, ammonium bromide and nitrogen are formed.

-React with alkene

-Al + Br2 (although you already have a video of this)

-React bromine with a stoichmetric amount of iodine. You get IBr. When heated this has a red vapour , very different from the orange brown of bromine. Keep 3 test tubes in a row, one with I2, one with Br2 and one with IBr, all heated.
Chlorine also forms ICl with iodine. I think ICl vapour is brown, but I'm not sure.

-Lead H2S from your cylinder over bromine, with maybe a drop of water added (maybe the reaction won't commemce with dry bromine). I think you will get yellow sulfur smoke, and HBr fumes.

-A one nice for youtube, to show to the newcomers in science:
Show 2 vials of mercury and bromine and tell these are the only 2 liquid elements. Then combine a drop of mercury with a few drops of bromine, and show the product is a white/yellow powder. I think it will react, but i'm not sure how fast. Do it safely, if the reaction is vigorous HgBr2 smoke will result. If so, keep the test tube just below the exhaust , so no smoke will settle on the walls in your hood.

There are many more, I'm not going to make a huge list. :P
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 19:53

Very nice.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 22:33

This is the right way to do it. Very good and enjoyable! This video is cool (and not kewl!).

A very interesting property of the halogens is their reluctance to react with many compounds when they are really dry. This can be demonstrated impressively as follows:

- mix some crushed iodine crystals with dry magnesium powder and then with a glass rod add a drop of water. A very violent reaction then starts, producing a big purple cloud of iodine vapor
- pour some dry bromine (0.5 ml) on a little piece of sodium (just a few cubic mm should be used). No reaction occurs, not even after quite some time. The sodium floats on the bromine. Then add a very small amount of water. The sodium reacts with the bromine in a bright flash of fire, almost explosively and a thick cloud of bromine vapor erupts from the test tube. This is quite dangerous, so use really small amounts of sodium. This demo also works with a chip of magnesium floating in the bromine, which reacts violently when water is added. The sodium reaction, however, is more spectacular.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 09:05

Today we completed the following reactions-

Bromine with Phosphorus, with Hydrogen Sulphide, with Pinene (as an alkene).
Iodine with Pinene and also mixed with Zinc and initated with water.

There will be a video tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions- very much appreciated!

We have some ICl already, so will endevour to show- Cl2, Br2, I2, IBr and ICl tomorrow also.

Go To Top