Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Computer lab/notebook program? Who takes notes on the computer?
chemchemical
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 06:11
Computer lab/notebook program? Who takes notes on the computer?

So I am trying to push our lab to use more technology and I would like to use my computer to take notes instead of using a paper notebook. My reaction page contains the reaction number, title, date, reference, the reaction drawn out, my calculations(amount added, mmols, equivalents, etc), and TLC's. I want an electronic one to put the NMR data in there too and to possibly directly link it to references and other reactions.

I am curious what people use for their electronic notebooks and how they like it?
I know chemdraw comes with one but I have yet to play around with it.

Also, has anyone heard of the labacus? It looks and sounds really cool but is rather expensive. It also does the things that I want, but I would be fine with taking notes on the computer.

This would be geared towards a organic lab, so structure drawing and ability to link NMR data is a need.

Also, for anyone who has a laptop in the lab, how do you protect it from solvents? Some keyboard/screen protectors dont really cover everything.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 06:18

It's not just the solvents you have to worry about; more of concern is anything volatile. The computer in the last lab I worked in had a remarkably shorter life-span than a computer of the same make and purchased around the same time in an office a number of rooms away. Even when we kept the computer away from the fume hood and solvent cabinet, the screen very quickly became cloudy in a few months.

Seriously, I'm a techie guy, but IMHO nothing still beats a paper notebook for lab-work.

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 07:04

I love to write long-hand and love the feel of pen and paper. I'm not a techie guy.

But for professional work I agree that you can't beat a computer for such things as revising, moving text around, incorporating graphics, etc.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 10:58

I don't work at a O Chem or Chem lab (Microbio), but our computers are in a separate room from the solvent/acid storage area. I tend to write notes down and type my protocol beforehand (type results later).
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-8-2009 at 03:23

That would great app for an itouch or iphone. Particularly if you are doing very similar experiments or recording variations in the same data each time. Would probably need a chemical proof housing as well though!
chemchemical
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 19:06

Quote: Originally posted by daragh8008  
That would great app for an itouch or iphone. Particularly if you are doing very similar experiments or recording variations in the same data each time. Would probably need a chemical proof housing as well though!

They mentioned an iphone app won't be out for awhile. But if you had any device with windows mobile it would work.

I will still have a paper lab book, I assume it is essential and why not have a hard and digital copy.
I'm thinking of trying the enotebook from chemdraw, does anyone have experience with it?

[Edited on 10-8-2009 by chemchemical]
monoceros4
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 22:59

I use one of those $250 "netbooks" (which, ironically, I was semi-compelled to buy because of a chemistry class--first laptop I've owned in several years) and use a combination of tools to keep all my stuff multiply backed up. I use Windows Live Mesh to synchronize data between three devices (two computers and the online storage) and use "Syncplicity" so I can have Google Docs automatically synchronized with documents on Live Mesh storage. I haven't worked out the kinks yet. For actual note-taking I use either Google Docs if I'm online or Word when offline.

I'm still really sloppy, though. Some task management software would probably do me some good but nothing I've seen looks that satisfying yet. Most impose an excessive linearity, while my amateur work branches out a lot. Too much, maybe.

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest where two and two make five, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." Mikhail Tal
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 12:49

I just spent $50 on a notebook and some pens that won't bugger off at the slightest touch of a solvent, so there's no way I'm taking my $2000 computer into my lab.
$50 is a lot of money at my current status in life, so I may as well use what I bought with the money :P

That said, there is something.....special feeling about writing in a nice notebook, seeing it on your shelf, and the white pain on the spine. Good times.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 12:57

Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  
I just spent $50 on a notebook and some pens that won't bugger off at the slightest touch of a solvent, so there's no way I'm taking my $2000 computer into my lab.(cut)
$NZ2,000 is a lot of money to be spending on a laptop computer in New Zealand these days. What are its specifications? Noel Leeming had a $NZ899 (with cashback) special for last Sunday only, on the Toshiba Satellite laptop with 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon 2.1 MHz dual core, and 320 Gb hard drive. There may be even better prices on http://www.pricespy.co.nz ; and of course there is always Trademe ( http://www.trademe.co.nz ) for second-hand ones although there is some risk of fraud on it.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 13:08

It was a short while ago, could probably by the same thing for $1000 now. In fact, it may just be the one that you mentioned was $899 :P Satellite, 4Gb RAM, 2x2.1GHz ,320GbHDD etc.
I think I paid $1799.99, and interest etc.

It's got what I want and still does what I need, so I'm happy with it :)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alternatingly paranoid or pi**ed

[*] posted on 15-6-2011 at 01:26
I'm curious...

About the ethics end of things. In the old days you had your lab notebook and you could only write in it in pen. To keep you honest and anything entered available.

Does that still hold? I could see where the new virtual world would impact this.

The solvent issue also makes lots of sense.

Go To Top