Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hypochlorite Generator
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 22-12-2003 at 05:38
Hypochlorite Generator

Need to do a patent search on this if I ever have time but sure looks sweet!

http://www.price-lessproducts.com/pool%20chlorinator.html

:)

[Edited on 23-12-2003 by Hermes_Trismegistus]

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 22-12-2003 at 05:44
NaOCl

I'm very sure this produces NaOCl, not free chlorine. Granted, NaOCl is more useful in my opinion, but this might not be what you think it is. I don't know what you are looking for.

I looked into these and other products about two years ago for home production of commercial quantities of NaOCl, which is perhaps the single most useful chemical in existence to be able to manufacture for free.

-T
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 22-12-2003 at 05:52
Also

It would be much cheaper to build such a device yourself, than to buy theirs. Such a device is very simple in construction, and you could purchase their electrodes as replacements from them. All you need to do is mimick the cell chamber dimensions and supplied power specifications. Using their electrodes eliminates the need to calculate amperage concentration on the electrode and determine adequte electrode dimensions.

Their device is quite pricey for something I could produce for under $40 (not including electrodes).

If you want to scale things up, you will know the exact electrode dimensions and materials. You could buy larger electrodes from a lab supplier and then build a new power supply that supplied enough current at the same voltage potential so as to have equal amperage / unit surface area on the larger electrode.

Fun stuff.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 23-12-2003 at 00:29
more tech info

http://www.electrichlor.com/technical.html

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/watermgt/WSM/Facts/f...

[Edited on 23-12-2003 by Hermes_Trismegistus]

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Mechaton
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 16:31

So, this is an old topic but its relavant to my current project and I in looking for some wisdom. From what I can see the chlorate cell I'm building does the same thing as a hypochlorite generator... is the difference in output just a factor of the operating temperature? Google tells me that hypochlorite generators work at under 40 degrees and chlorate cells work at 50-70 but I never see it in the same article. Will my cell only produce hypochlorite if the current doesn't heat it enough? (I'm sure it will though!)
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 18:59
Hypochlorite

Temperature definitely affects the products formed. At cold temperatures chlorine gas
dissolved into solutions of hydroxides forms the hypochlorites. At higher temperatures the
chlorates are formed. Additionally, at higher temperatures, hypochlorites oxidize to chlorates.
This is the thermal decomposition mentioned on Wouter's website and other pyrotechnic
sites. An example:

3NaOCl --> NaClO3 + 2NaCl

[Edited on 2006/5/12 by MadHatter]

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Mechaton
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 18:39

So it the same process turns a chloride into a hypochlorite, chlorate, and perchlorate why don't I hear about chlorite cells? Is that one skipped for some reason?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 21:30

Chlorite is less stable than chlorate, chlorate usually has to be reduced for form chlorite IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorite#Manufacture

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top