Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zinc chloride synthesis & solubility in methanol & other liquids
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 21:06
Zinc chloride synthesis & solubility in methanol & other liquids

I thought I would try to make a little bit of ZnCl2 but I'm wondering if it might be similar to some other chlorides which don't dry very well to the anhydrous state. When I had a lot of MgCl2 in solution and tried to dry it out, I found that my stove corroded terribly after a few hours in the oven b/c it was giving off HCl or Cl2 gas I think.

My plan to make the ZnCl2 is to use some purified HCl (up to 30% - probably about 25-28%) and either some ZnO or zinc metal. I can also bubble some HCl gas through the solution if that would be a better idea than making a higher concentration HCl or if I need more HCl. I plan to start with distilled hardware grade HCl so it will all be a gas at some point except that which is below the azeotrope point (~20% I think).

A little while ago I thought I would try to dissolve a shinny penny (the zinc ones), cut it in half and allowed it to dissolve and I found the solution turned slightly brown, like a cloud surrounding the penny. IDK if the copper could have caused this but I thought the zinc supposedly dissolved the Zn out leaving a thin copper shell (which might be useful for some experiments - any ideas for use of high surface area copper like this?)

I also thought this might be a good time to try to make some zinc peroxide (ZnO2) b/c it is made from ZnCl2 + H2O2 and I assume 35% is more than strong enough to do this. IDK what good application are of ZnO2 but it seems to have some interesting uses in fireworks and as a sensitizer in HE's/secondaries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_peroxide

Go To Top