Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sigma aldrich
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-8-2009 at 05:11
Sigma aldrich

Is their a download printable full range chemical list in AtoZ form for sigma aldrich, if so can someone point me to it.
They don't seem to have any thing on their website,even an oldish one would do.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 22-8-2009 at 07:56

Aldrich still sends me their catalogs, which lists them all A-Z with useful data for their compounds. They also have them on CD's I think.

Get one of these if you can, but someone on SM said that Aldrich doesn't send them to individuals.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 22-8-2009 at 08:17

I don't think I've ever seen an official downloadable version of the catalogue, but it's always free to request a hard copy:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/chemistry/aldrich-chemistry/aldr...

Although, like everything, there are probably scanned versions online. There is also an online catalogue avalible but it is not A-Z:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-service-home/product-c...

[Edited on 8/22/2009 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-8-2009 at 10:14

Owell i was hoping to use it as a start point to do an inventory,and check some prices of some stuff i don't really need,my friend has hard copy catalogues for prices,I don't suppose anyone has compiled a list of chemicals that i could download print and use.
I don't really fancy writing it all out the old fashioned way :D
wpenrose
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-8-2009 at 11:56

When they send out their new catalogs, the old ones become a bulky liability. If you live near a college or chemistry lab, you may be able to get a copy of last year's for the asking. You might check ebay, too.

Dangerous Bill
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-8-2009 at 22:25

A while back, the Sigma-Aldrich server, abruptly stopped recognizing my cookie.

Then, with their assistance, after I tried unsuccessfully, several times, to log on to my account, the whole thing went "tilt".

They thereafter sent me an e-mail, to inform me that, they had suspended my account, because "unsuccessful login attempts" raised concerns that some unauthorized entity was trying to access my account.

Gotta call them up, long distance, and go through some elaborate song and dance routine to re-open the account. A pain in the ass.

The current situation, of course, makes it impossible for me to access their online catalog, which doesn't work very well anyway.

If you want to save yourself some time and energy, it's best to have a hard copy.

Should they refuse to supply you with one (the norm), there is a guy on e-bay that will sell you one for a modest fee.

His ad is "buy it now, or best offer". I suggest you offer him what you think it is worth. Six bucks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHEMICAL-BOOK-ALDRICH-HANDBOOK-OF-FINE-C...

[Edited on 27-8-2009 by zed]

[Edited on 27-8-2009 by zed]
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-8-2009 at 02:16

cheers ;)
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 10:05

Outside the US, Aldrich subsidiaries, may be less stingy with their catalogs. That is a good thing.

Because, while the above supplier does sell catalogs, the international postage fees, required to ship one outside of the US, are simply too high. Not worth it.
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 12:13

I enquired and yes they are.But i have managed to scrounge one (albeit an old one) i only wanted something down loadable so i could use it as a basis for an inventory,but decided in the end to scale down on chemicals !!!
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 14:39

You could use MS excel or another spreadsheet program to keep an inventory. You could even set it up so that you know how much reagent you have remaining (simple subtract formulae) assuming you know how much you use each time (not a problem if you weigh it out). It may take a while to set up if you have lots of chemicals ;) but once thats done maintaining it as you aquire new chemicals should be no hassle at all.
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 15:26

I know, i'm just lazy and thought i could use a list the some nice chemical company had written and just add to it :D
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 07:55

Quote: Originally posted by itchyfruit  
I know, i'm just lazy and thought i could use a list the some nice chemical company had written and just add to it :D

If I was lazy, I wouldn't try to adapt the Aldrich list to my own inventory. It probably has tens of thousands of chemicals, most of which will never be in your inventory.

Searching a list of thousands of chemicals would not be very efficient if you were only interested in the (say) 100 that you actually had in stock.

It would surely be much less work to use a spreadsheet as DJF90 suggested.

I simply made my own list and kept it updated, it wasn't all that hard. And my inventory is bigger than your inventory.:P
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 09:47

True enough, but my plan was to delete the ones i don't have and never intend to have. Which may seem silly unless you knew how slowly i type.
I think block deleting would be much quicker :D
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Aldrich still sends me their catalogs, which lists them all A-Z with useful data for their compounds. They also have them on CD's I think.
If Aldrich sends out its Catalogs on CDs, I would be pleased if someone can copy the latest available such CD, and upload it and post the link here.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 10:30

I keep my inventory on an EXCEL spreadsheet. I do this so I don't forget what I have. It's also easier than rummaging around in my cabinets to find out if I have something.

Its also useful in preventing duplications. This happend once and now what do I do with several pounds of KF? :o Use it for an insecticide?

I have something around 250 chemicals after collecting for some 5 years or so, including my minerals. The list probably won't get a whole lot larger.

I also keep a list of suppliers and a "needs" list (chemicals and equipment) on that spreadsheet.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 13:18

I have solved the problem by downloading the 'penta chemicals' list removing the prices and product numbers etc and transferring it to a spread sheet and printing of a copy for the lab and saving it as a file that can be changed as i use or acquire stuff.
And i didn't have to type out a single chemical name, a techno geek girlfriend can be very handy :D
pip
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2009 at 14:17

I realize the OP solved his need but I thought this might help others

They send me catalogs all the time and I never lied when they asked me who I am. I told them I'm an chemistry hobbiest and they sent me the 2 main catalogs along with alot of "magazines" from them about thier new products. It just says my name and "private researcher".

Granted the only products I inquired to was sodium formate and some other innocent things and I never bought it but they were more than willing. I think if you buy enough of different things they will overlook MILDLY suspicious things. Again I never ordered but that's the impression I got from one of thier sales poeple. I even asked him why thier are so many poeple on chemistry forums that say they won't sell to individuals he said there is a very hard look at what is being ordered and by whom and what they have previously ordered . He never gave me a straight answer on specifics of being approved. I wanted to know if after being approved I was allowed to order whenever with less scrutany as long as something blantly dumb was not ordered and I got double talk from him. That leads me to think they have a way of cross-referencing even mildly suspicious chems and combinations of chems with small buyers but of course we expect that.

But that is good for us don't order dumb and be like me friendly, honest, and willing to spend 3 hours on the phone with someone whom is lookin for a reason to hang up on you so don't give him one. sucking up never hurts either

[Edited on 21-9-2009 by pip]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 21-9-2009 at 16:39

Quote: Originally posted by pip  
I think if you buy enough of different things they will overlook MILDLY suspicious things. Again I never ordered but that's the impression I got

But that is good for us don't order dumb and be like me friendly, honest, and willing to spend 3 hours on the phone with someone whom is lookin for a reason to hang up on you so don't give him one. sucking up never hurts either
Yeah, pip. Let us know how sucking up to Aldrich works out for you, OK? Just don't order dumb or they will have DEA all over you.
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 21-9-2009 at 17:40

Aldrich can be a pain to get an account with.

My company tried to get an account and was turned down.
but I think that we will try again this year.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 00:52

In ages past, I used to order Sigma Aldrich Chemicals, via Daiggers.

Daiggers is easy to deal with, Sigma Aldrich......Not so easy.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 01:12

If I wanted to order, from New Zealand, specialty chemicals from Sigma-Aldrich, not being industrial chemicals made locally in "technical" grade which could be purified if necessary, what do you think would be the best way to go? Approach them directly, or through an intermediary like Daigger?
acorks
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2009 at 23:23

We supply pyrimidines and other heterocyclic compounds.

Go To Top