Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can Sodium Chloride electrolysis using Iron electrodes generate Chlorine gas?
PyroPlatinum
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 19:30
Can Sodium Chloride electrolysis using Iron electrodes generate Chlorine gas?

Ok, i know it is a dumb question but it is something that is intriguing me so much that i wanted to ask.
Here's why i ask it:
As much of you guys know people have been using electrolysis as a way to remove rust from iron and steel tools for a while and i see it every so often in the internet as a alternative to using acids like vinegar and phosphoric acid.
But almost always people prefer to use washing soda (sodium carbonate) as the electrolyte for the process than table salt because of a concern related to the possible evolution of chlorine gas, that is toxic.
Then here's my doubt... i have been doing some electrolysis for a while but only regarding the production of Hypochlorite, Chlorates, and Perchlorates and *i am not* a expert in the subject. And since i know that the production of the since mentioned compounds do produce Chlorine gas but require very specific types of anodes like Graphite and Platinum or Mixed Metal Oxide, i'm skeptical because i never noticed any Chlorine gas being emitted by electrolyzing(is that a real word XD) table salt using iron or steel as anodes.
So, forgive me if i am getting it wrong, but can that happen or there is no possibility and is a desnecessary concern as long you only use iron and steel electrodes(as i think). Thanks for anyone that can solve this question.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 19:48

From my experience, no noticeable chlorine forms with iron or copper anodes. I've tried electrolysis of salt with these and you get a ton of opaque matter in the water (hydroxides and maybe chlorides). After trying this so many times, I was in for a shock the first time I left a small graphite anode cell running on a few hundred mA in my bathroom for a few minutes. The whole room smelled like chlorine! If iron electrodes make chlorine at all, It must be many orders of magnitude less, from what I've seen. I wouldn't worry about that aspect of using salt.
PyroPlatinum
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-1-2019 at 20:02

Quote: Originally posted by Vomaturge  
From my experience, no noticeable chlorine forms with iron or copper anodes. I've tried electrolysis of salt with these and you get a ton of opaque matter in the water (hydroxides and maybe chlorides). After trying this so many times, I was in for a shock the first time I left a small graphite anode cell running on a few hundred mA in my bathroom for a few minutes. The whole room smelled like chlorine! If iron electrodes make chlorine at all, It must be many orders of magnitude less, from what I've seen. I wouldn't worry about that aspect of using salt.

Yeah, that sludge of iron hydroxides.. that was quite fascinating for me when i as a kid and "discovered" electrolysis by myself by sticking two iron nails in a cup of salt water to see what could happen. I'm lucky that i didn't used graphite as electrodes lol but never ever noticed any chlorine using iron or copper as you said too. Even aluminum i think, and lead.. but i'm not sure since i don't know if i recall it correctly.
But very interesting.. i think i'm not wrong then. Thanks.
Antiproton
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 06:23

In my experience, no. There will only be Fe hydroxides, carbonates, oxides, depending on environment and time.
Theoretically it's possible, but very rare or small percentage, for example if Fe has C in it and if you use higher voltage or current density it is more likely. But practically no, not enough to be smelled or to damage us or environment.
Only possible at microscopic levels. And that sludge is called sol i think, like alum stuff. Can absorb large about of impurities from water. Also I believe we can make screwdrivers by electrolysis like that. Just isolate parts via duct tape or something which are not supposed to go off. No need for cutting metal. Could be efficient at least for small screwdrivers, they could be made from wires. Gonna post tutorial one day :mad:.
PyroPlatinum
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-1-2019 at 03:21

Quote: Originally posted by Antiproton  
In my experience, no. There will only be Fe hydroxides, carbonates, oxides, depending on environment and time.
Theoretically it's possible, but very rare or small percentage, for example if Fe has C in it and if you use higher voltage or current density it is more likely. But practically no, not enough to be smelled or to damage us or environment.
Only possible at microscopic levels. And that sludge is called sol i think, like alum stuff. Can absorb large about of impurities from water. Also I believe we can make screwdrivers by electrolysis like that. Just isolate parts via duct tape or something which are not supposed to go off. No need for cutting metal. Could be efficient at least for small screwdrivers, they could be made from wires. Gonna post tutorial one day :mad:.

That's a interesting perspective you have used. If we think about it, steel does have C in it. So it might produce chlorine gas at small quantities and depending on the carbon percentage that the steel has.
But normally iron is less likely to have significant quantities of carbon in it.
And about the sludge... "Sol" ? Never heard of it XD gonna take a look.
Oh and making tools this way that you said must be really neat man! Never heard of it too but now i'm interested lol.
I've only etched some tools this way but nothing more than it.
That must be a interesting way to make soldering iron tips too!

Go To Top