Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Video : reaction of Potassium permanganate and Hydrogen peroxide
coccoc
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 21-9-2009 at 06:21
Video : reaction of Potassium permanganate and Hydrogen peroxide

I am currently filming about Chemistry videos,
please give suggestions and comment for improvement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_11WR6UVhm8

Also please rate and subscribe to my channel if you like!

http://www.youtube.com/cforchemistry

[Edited on 22-9-2009 by coccoc]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-9-2009 at 09:35

Good quality of video, very nice. Only point is that I still see some distracting things at the right. Make the area totally clean so that the video only shows the materials which are relevant for what you want to demonstrate.

There is one addition you need to make to the explanation. The reaction between H2O2 and KMnO4 only is a minor part of this. The real violence is due to the catalytic decomposition of H2O2. Finely dispersed MnO2 is formed, which leads to the extremely violent decomposition of the H2O2. I expect that the result will be as violent, if you only use only 10% of the amount of KMnO4 while using the same amount of H2O2.

Finally, the reaction between H2O2 and KMnO4 does not give K2O2, but KOH and the other products.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
coccoc
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-9-2009 at 02:38

Thanks for you advice on the video, I did not plan to much for my first video, but I will definetelt improve when I film next time, I will clean the area as much as I could.

Also you remind me that the reaction, about MnO2 and H2O2, however it is a mistake in the film which I forget to mention about.

Lastly, I found that K2O2 can exist in an instant, so I mentioned in my video, but I know it would turn into KOH a moment later.

User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 22-9-2009 at 03:20

This really is one for the incompatible chemicals list :P

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
bilcksneatff
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sulfuric

[*] posted on 22-9-2009 at 17:55

I like the videos that you've put up :)

I subscribed as well (under the same name on youtube)
coccoc
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 03:25

Thanks for your subscription,
and I plan to make two videos this week,
The dehydration of surcose and "volcano" experiment,
any other suggestions?

chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 05:15

I'll take a large cappiccino!:D:D I would like to see that served at starbucks.

Youtube really needs electrochemical experiments. Not the HHO type but really novel ones. Like making metal salts from the metals as anodes. Preparations of alkali hydroxides from the chlorides in divided cells. That sort of thing. Exotic thermites would be quite nice. The guy on amazingrust.com has a pretty cool selection already but they are not on youtube.

Fellow molecular manipulator
coccoc
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 05:43

I am not quite familiar with electrochemistry, so I don't think I can handle such in the moment. However, I will try some on thermite.

ketel-one
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by chloric1  
Preparations of alkali hydroxides from the chlorides in divided cells. That sort of thing.

^that one seems interesting, I've heard of someone using some membrane similar to what is present in a battery perhaps to do it succesfully. Not sure though.
coccoc
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2009 at 04:09

Using membrane cell is a great idea, but where can I find such membrane?

hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2009 at 15:34
Membrane

You could try tyvek (such as used for some envelopes available at the post office). Or you could try a clay pot for plants (plug the hole with epoxy or something).

Hodges
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 24-9-2009 at 17:03

I use a clay ceramic pot and fill both that cathode and anode solution with MgSO4 solution and allow it to run for sometime with the charge opposite of how it will be when I run it with what ever Im making. This sets the pot up to act as a salt bridge with a positive charge. It also makes a dilute sulfuric acid solution. After charging it you wash off the pot and clean the who mixture and you know how a charged cell.

The alkaline hydroxide formation could be a good one for You Tube because if you add PH indicator to the solution the two sides will quickly take on different colors and it will be very visual in demonstrating the synthesis.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
coccoc
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-9-2009 at 05:51

Probably I will start a series of Redox and Electrochemistry soon, so keep checking these threads and sections for my updates.

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 00:39

This may be interesting, apparently some unstable compound can form between permanganate and hydrogen peroxide at lower temperatures:
Quote:

M. Berthelot (1880) noticed that when potassium permanganate is titrated with hydrogen peroxide at a low temperature, say 12° , the permanganate is decolorized without liberating oxygen

(I think that might be in degrees Fahrenheit, so that would be -11°C)
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 01:58

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
This may be interesting, apparently some unstable compound can form between permanganate and hydrogen peroxide at lower temperatures:
Quote:

M. Berthelot (1880) noticed that when potassium permanganate is titrated with hydrogen peroxide at a low temperature, say 12° , the permanganate is decolorized without liberating oxygen

Maybe the oxygen just dissolved in the very cold solution?

Rest In Pieces!
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 04:37

Another interesting catalytic decomposition demo of peroxide is that using silver! I have often done this for fun and made a YouTube video at one point... Simply take a link of silver bracelet etc, drop it into the peroxide and at first it will bubble very slowly, it accelerates, slowly the temperature increases until the point the the peroxide is almost boiling and thick white vapor is produced. The silver piece can be collected unchanged (although with a slight yellow tint due to oxide coating) and can be used an unlimited amount of times. It's impressive to see a tube of peroxide to from ice cold to boiling in two minutes :)

If you don't have a piece of silver using the silver powder produced from the classic silver nitrate/copper reaction works equally well, except that collecting the silver afterwards is almost impossible.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 12:15

Very nice, but it might be more professional/scientific to weigh out chemicals, as opposed to saying "one spoonful".

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 13:09

Very nice, but please don't use Random Capitalizations in your text. Chemical names are not proper nouns (and neither is the word "crystal" in this context).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 06:21

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  
Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
Quote:

Maybe the oxygen just dissolved in the very cold solution?

It's possible the KMnO<sub>4</sub> oxidized the H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> and the precipitated MnO<sub>2</sub> was formed in small enough quantities it wasn't noticed, and the kinetic barrier for the catalytic decomposition of H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> was insurmountable at that temperature. This would be simple to test.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.

Go To Top