Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: potassium permanganate in Canada
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 14:37

No I don't think glycerin is being restricted, I think people just aren't buying it as much when they can go to the shelf and either get the cheapest thing, or buy what is shown on TV...
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 29-10-2009 at 20:51

A good percentage of people seem to associate glycerin with nitroglycerin. Not surprising. But what is surprising is when they see a bottle of it in a lab--they get scared and ask questions like, "is that gonna blow up?" and "do you know what you're doing?"--but when it's in the medicine cabinet it's no big deal.

The power of context.

When I worked at a 1-hour eyeglass place we used gallons of it as a heating bath liquid. There didn't seem to be any concern. The only reason there should be concern over glycerin is ignorance.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 29-10-2009 at 21:07

Quote:
"is that gonna blow up?" and "do you know what you're doing?"--

Next time Scream NO!!! And throw it as hard as you can at the wall just to watch there ignorant legs tremble as they see a "high explosive" fly across the room and slam into the wall full force. If your really bord scream BOOM! as loud as you can as it hits the wall:D

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 19-2-2010 at 17:02

I didn't read that until just now. I laughed for at least a few minutes. Thanks for that.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Vogelzang
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2010 at 06:03

The mounties always get their man.

proofenough-500.jpg - 114kB
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2010 at 07:28

Oh, you mean the Royal Canadian Mounted Pigs, Canada's red-coated Gestapo.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2010 at 11:05

What's the problem with "expensive" glycerine ? Just cook soap out of some oil with NaOH; glycerine will be the other product ...

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2010 at 18:27

I've made soap with lye. Unless you go to extra trouble to separate it, the glycerin stays in the soap. Possibly if you were very careful to keep water to a minimum (rather than adding an aqueous solution of NaOH, which is the standard recipe), the separation would occur by itself as you would avoid forming an emulsion. Maybe you were thinking of biodiesel production, which proceeds this way. Regardless, whatever you ended up with would not exactly be reagent grade. I admit I'm a little mystified by the high price of glycerine, since every so often I hear it mentioned as a waste product of biodiesel that is simply piling up in 55-gallon drums; but I don't think it's a particularly easy product to purify, which might be the problem.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 20-2-2010 at 21:03
Centrifuge

Anybody ? Magpie knows what I'm talking about. BTW, what does this have to do
with KMNO4 unless the plan is to mix the two for a fiery reaction ? :o

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 09:29

No, these items are not restricted (non List 1 chemicals) -what happens is that the individual chains received government notices of abuse or letters with a VERY subtle inference that the DHS or whatever would "like their help" in curtailing some serious issues", etc bla, bla, bla.... Canada is VERY much like the USA in these matters.

In the USA some VERY large chains pulled Ammonium Nitrate and sulfuric acid, when the "became aware of the 'problem". Additionally many companies have sourced different products. There is in fact an extreme surplus of sulfuric acid due primarily to anodizing aluminum (that's often why you see the black crud in bottles). But when they get letters; they get paranoid and switch suppliers to sodium hydroxide (or whatever). How do I know this happens? A friend showed me a letter (around the time of the "Be Aware for America" campaign).

If I didn't think it would be inappropriate; I would reprint one. Those who remember the "Don't make M80's" letter that members of PGII and a whole list of people got (who bought chemicals from a pryro supplier) and it's impact.....scares the crap out of you. Since that time I have always wondered what gives the CPSC the RIGHT to use Justice Dept stationary for "impact".

There are some folks here who got "The Letter". Approx 25% (a guess) got out of the hobby altogether. BAM! "I'm selling off all my pyro stuff".

This is a not-so-subtle use of power. Because whether it's a company or an individual, a letter has a lot of impact!
This bring to mind the whole of the "surrender mentality".

The thing that can be really infuriating is the idea of surrendering one's rights. Typically in the USA it's the 4th Amendment, the right to privacy.
The typical conception is "I'VE GOT NOTHING TO HIDE SO LET THEM SEARCH ALL THEY WANT". This was how some of the most egregious breaks with the Constitution have occurred in BOTH Canada & The USA. One of the most basic points is that it doesn't matter if you have something to hide or not. You have a right to privacy and security in your belongings. We have let so sublime little things make us shrink from contesting our Rights that we ended up with the Patriot Act (I) and Canada ended up with (Heaven's knows what laws!). many noted Constitutional scholars have seen what the 1st rendition of The Patriot Act brought about & it's not healthy for those who treasure freedom.

If you are one of those people who say "I have nothing to hide, so let them search my house and my person all they want" I have something for you to read and ponder.

Attachment: I_Have_Nothing_to_Hide-id998565.pdf (296kB)
This file has been downloaded 1009 times

[Edited on 11-3-2010 by quicksilver]
KNO3me
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by quicksilver  
No, these items are not restricted (non List 1 chemicals) -what happens is that the individual chains received government notices of abuse or letters with a VERY subtle inference that the DHS or whatever would "like their help" in curtailing some serious issues", etc bla, bla, bla.... Canada is VERY much like the USA in these matters.

In the USA some VERY large chains pulled Ammonium Nitrate and sulfuric acid, when the "became aware of the 'problem". Additionally many companies have sourced different products. There is in fact an extreme surplus of sulfuric acid due primarily to anodizing aluminum (that's often why you see the black crud in bottles). But when they get letters; they get paranoid and switch suppliers to sodium hydroxide (or whatever). How do I know this happens? A friend showed me a letter (around the time of the "Be Aware for America" campaign).

If I didn't think it would be inappropriate; I would reprint one. Those who remember the "Don't make M80's" letter that members of PGII and a whole list of people got (who bought chemicals from a pryro supplier) and it's impact.....scares the crap out of you. Since that time I have always wondered what gives the CPSC the RIGHT to use Justice Dept stationary for "impact".

There are some folks here who got "The Letter". Approx 25% (a guess) got out of the hobby altogether. BAM! "I'm selling off all my pyro stuff".

This is a not-so-subtle use of power. Because whether it's a company or an individual, a letter has a lot of impact!
This bring to mind the whole of the "surrender mentality".

The thing that can be really infuriating is the idea of surrendering one's rights. Typically in the USA it's the 4th Amendment, the right to privacy.
The typical conception is "I'VE GOT NOTHING TO HIDE SO LET THEM SEARCH ALL THEY WANT". This was how some of the most egregious breaks with the Constitution have occurred in BOTH Canada & The USA. One of the most basic points is that it doesn't matter if you have something to hide or not. You have a right to privacy and security in your belongings. We have let so sublime little things make us shrink from contesting our Rights that we ended up with the Patriot Act (I) and Canada ended up with (Heaven's knows what laws!). many noted Constitutional scholars have seen what the 1st rendition of The Patriot Act brought about & it's not healthy for those who treasure freedom.

If you are one of those people who say "I have nothing to hide, so let them search my house and my person all they want" I have something for you to read and ponder.

[Edited on 11-3-2010 by quicksilver]

So is this another one of those things where the government feels that it has to protect its people from themselves?

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research." - A. Einstein
quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 06:50

Indeed.
Just my opinion - but that issue draws into it's orbit the whole of restrictions on chemicals, firearms, swords, powerful radios, & certain other objects.
One of the most common symptoms of paranoia (in this regard) is illustrated HERE, on this Board. You will read all sorts of "Non mea culpa" posts; such as disclaimers that the author does not have any chemicals any more, does not light materials on fire, or has stopped experimenting years ago, etc. That's just plain sad: that a person would feel they are being "watched" or whatever to the point that "big brother" is monitoring a science bulletin board and a discussion over trivial levels of fulminate or whatever. I have done it myself.
I am not saying that during certain periods that Carnivore or whatever may scan the internet for co-incidental dialog but I really think the Fed has lots more important things to do than keep track over how many "Cold-Packs" someone buys.
......The local Fire Marshall may be a different matter - but that office is not some three letter agency with offices in Ft. Meade monitoring every key pressed on a sophomore's laptop......
KNO3me
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2010 at 17:11

One of the most common symptoms of paranoia (in this regard) is illustrated HERE, on this Board. You will read all sorts of "Non mea culpa" posts; such as disclaimers that the author does not have any chemicals any more, does not light materials on fire, or has stopped experimenting years ago, etc. That's just plain sad: that a person would feel they are being "watched" or whatever to the point that "big brother" is monitoring a science bulletin board and a discussion over trivial levels of fulminate or whatever. I have done it myself.

I feel the same way. Sometimes I can seem a bit paranoid when I buy certain things off the internet. Just last year I bought 5 books on explosives and I think Amazon may be reporting people that buy the kind of material that I buy. (We do live in the post 9-11 era and lately there have been attempts for a repeat.) I try to be careful about what and how I order my chemicals off the net because I don’t want a knock on my door. I love explosives, it’s my hobby and I want to make a career out of it by joining E.O.D. in the U.S.A.F.

Also, it’s stupid to restrict chemicals from the public. If someone needs a certain chemical that the government outlaws or puts a restriction on then HOTDOG! that person is going to find a way to obtain what he or she needs.

When God closes a door, He opens a window.

quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2010 at 09:14

What we are discussing has very far reaching implications.
We are talking essentially about a "backdoor muzzling" of common discussions. Remember when people would use the acronym "SWIM"?
I'm fairly sure that except for threats against the President and certain provisions for illustrating unknown facts in an on-going felony investigation, that speech is still protected by the Constitution in so far as this hobby is concerned.
Little Johnny says he made an oxycubain: so what? Little Johnny posts a picture of crystals or powder, so what? Who is to say that little Johnny didn't just copy all his chemistry from a fucking book next to his computer and photograph all his yield with a cellphone and Mom's kitchen table???
But yet enormous amounts of contributors won't dare say a word of their hobby (even if they really DON'T do anything really prosecutable) because of the "headhunter" mentality of cops or prosecutors with arrest / conviction statistics on their mind.

What's more I applaud the gentleman (KNO3me ) for wanting to make a career out of Military disposal operations. If still not in the service, does he not have a right to educate himself as to Fuze mechanisms and chemical interaction without fear of someone twisting the subject to it's lowest & most destructive agenda? Would not the same be said for a Lock Smith, machinist, or an electronics engineer for that matter?
That is the jist of my point; the twisting and misreading of postings & dialog. We are muzzled from a fear-based agenda, developed from the very method of communication we use.
Everyone knows that the printed word cannot communicate the same way that the spoken word can.....That is why we use little "smiles" and things, so that our meaning is made clearer. It's just too easy to take a written Email (for instance) & believe the writer is meaning something entirely different than interned.

[Edited on 17-4-2010 by quicksilver]
KNO3me
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 00:31

Actually I’ve never heard of the acronym SWIM before.
Does it mean “System Wide Information Management”?

I'm fairly sure that except for threats against the President and certain provisions for illustrating unknown facts in an on-going felony investigation, that speech is still protected by the Constitution in so far as this hobby is concerned.

I suppose you’re right, since NAMBLA can get away with publishing a manual called "Rape and Escape" and some man named David L. Riegel can also publish a book called “Understanding Loved Boys and Boylovers”. Tonight I found out that you can find Understanding Loved Boys and Boylovers on Amazon. Although I am protected by the constitution, I am still going to be very cautious how conduct my hobby.

What's more I applaud the gentleman (KNO3me ) for wanting to make a career out of Military disposal operations. If still not in the service, does he not have a right to educate himself as to Fuze mechanisms and chemical interaction without fear of someone twisting the subject to it's lowest & most destructive agenda? Would not the same be said for a Lock Smith, machinist, or an electronics engineer for that matter?

First, I’d like to say thank you.

And secondly, I’m an 18yr old kid soon to be 19 this month working on making it into the Air Force. Right now I’m in community college till June so I can complete 15 units. I don’t want to attend community college but the Air Force won’t accept my diploma because I’m coming from a tier 2 high school.

Yes, everyone should have the right to explore science of all kinds except the manufacture of narcotics. I would understand if one is interested in how narcotics are produced but to manufacture and sell, I’m strongly against. Drugs tear lives apart.

I’m taking ECONMT (electrical construction maintenance) and with my little knowledge someone could cause a great deal of destruction with electricity. I understand your point and it’s any excellent one but sadly many people fail to critically think about these things.

Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 19:59

Quote: Originally posted by KNO3me  
Actually I’ve never heard of the acronym SWIM before.
Does it mean “System Wide Information Management”?

No, no, no... Well, SWIM is an extremely powerful, broad-spectrum agent, if you want to make people cry you just toss in a post containing SWIM in a thread, you wait a bit and then *BOOM*. :D

Many others are effective as well, "red phosphorus" or "nitromethane" for example will work on some more vulnerable victims.

KNO3me
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2010 at 13:58

Oh, I see what you mean. :)

Quote: Originally posted by Sandmeyer  

Many others are effective as well, "red phosphorus" or "nitromethane" for example will work on some more vulnerable victims.

I know what they are but what are you saying?

FluoroPunch
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-4-2019 at 19:13

Hey, I know this is probably a decade late but...buying KMnO4 in Canada is fine. I got 500g off eBay no problem, great stuff.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top