Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What happened here????
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 13:53
What happened here????

I made a solution of 1 M NaOH in EtOH about a week or two ago..... I accidentally left the stir bar in (highly doubt that has much to do with anything). The solution is now golden-yellow. What happened? I'm scared of opening it now.
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 14:23

NaOH solutions corrode glassware, so its generally bad practice to leave a solution in beakers for terribly long.

As for the stir bar, its coated in teflon, I doubt any amount of NaOH/NaOEt could corrode that. Maybe there are some contaminants on your glassware that gave it the colour?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 14:23

Was it really EtOH? Or the denatured stuff containing all manner of other junk that can react with NaOH?

People use that mixture for soaking glassware to clean it. It always turns dark after a while.

Safe to open. You didn't make sarin or anything. Please wear eye protection. That mixture will blind you in a nanosecond if it gets in the eyes.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 15:38

Probably polycondensed crap from ethanol oxidation to the aldehyde and subsequent aldol condensations. A little bit can make a lot of color.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 16:05

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
Probably polycondensed crap from ethanol oxidation to the aldehyde and subsequent aldol condensations. A little bit can make a lot of color.

But aldol is colorless. You think further condensation leads to colored compounds? My recollection is that KOH in pure EtOH doesn't turn dark. But I might try it to test my senescent memory!

Edit: For what it's worth, I added 0.25 g NaOH to 5 mL of Everclear EtOH and to 5 mL of denatured EtOH. After about 15 minutes, the Everclear was still colorless, the denatured was distinctly lemon yellow in color. I will see how this changes over time.

[Edited on 24-10-2009 by entropy51]
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 16:32

I've seen ethanolic KOH that was very yellow brown - at the time, when I asked about it I was told its something to do with the aging of the solution. I suspect this is what you are also experiencing.
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 16:38

It's 95% EtOH -- I'm not sure whether it's denatured or not, as this is at work. I don't think the stir bar has anything to do with the color. But this wouldn't be really impure -- at most there'd be a little MeOH or Denatonium.

Either way, i'm just going to discard it.

EDIT: I added a little 6 N HCl... there was no reaction! No bubbling or fizzing. Usually when I add a little bit of HCl there's at least SOME physical action going on..... weird. I discarded it anyways.

[Edited on 24-10-2009 by Rich_Insane]
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 17:15

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  

But aldol is colorless. You think further condensation leads to colored compounds? My recollection is that KOH in pure EtOH doesn't turn dark. But I might try it to test my senescent memory!

It's magical tar. It's not outlandish to imagine a series of aldol reactions, oxidations, and condensations that lead to a series of conjugated double bonds, and such, which may function as chromophores. Sure, the odds may be against it, but if the products are very dark, and you have 600 billion, trillion atoms (1 mole) kicking around a beaker, you're likely to get some visible color.

All that is needed to test is some ethanol and KOH. Sparge air through the mix for a day or so and watch for color change. or we could just reflux it under an oxygen atmosphere for a while.

[Edited on 10-24-09 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-10-2009 at 14:22

Something similar was already discussed time ago: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6434

Most recently there was even a JACS paper published about aerobic oxidation (this turned out only after publication!) of alkoxides to carbonyl compounds: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12559
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 15:14

I also noticed that a 100 mM solution smelled like apples instead of ethanol when I dumped it (due to age, not color).
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 12:30

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
My recollection is that KOH in pure EtOH doesn't turn dark. But I might try it to test my senescent memory!

Edit: For what it's worth, I added 0.25 g NaOH to 5 mL of Everclear EtOH and to 5 mL of denatured EtOH. After about 15 minutes, the Everclear was still colorless, the denatured was distinctly lemon yellow in color. I will see how this changes over time.
After one week, the NaOH in denatured ethanol is dark orange in color, while the similarly treated Everclear ethanol is still colorless.

I think the compunds in the denatured EtOH may be responsible for the color change.

[Edited on 1-11-2009 by entropy51]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 13:36

A possible culprit could be pyridine?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 14:57

I was thinking of pyridine too, but I checked and the denatured I used is Formula 19, which according to Merck Index is methyl isobutyl ketone and kerosene.

Aldol condensation with the ketone perhaps?

Go To Top