Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemically coloring concrete
Dave
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 20:46
Chemically coloring concrete

Acid Staining is not a paint, rather, it's a coloring process involving chemical reactions on a cementitious material. Certain soluble metal salts, often in solution with dilute acids ( usually HCl to aid in the exposure of reactive Lime) reacts with minerals present in the concrete , the result of this reaction is colored oxides depositing themselves within the matrix of the cement giving an integral color to the cementitious material.

Ferric sulphate from your garden nursery dissolved in water well stain any concrete surface every shade of rust color you want depending on strength of solution , multiple applications and environmental conditions while the active salt is reacting with the cement.

Copper sulphate also from the local garden nursery well color cement blue

The whole subject of the chemistry involved in this growing industry taboo as big dollars are made from this chemistry.

And to say “just go down to your local acid stain supplier and buy the stuff “ isn’t the answer I am looking for .

If any body out there can help me with this Quest for chemical Knowledge on the subject of Chemically coloring cement then we may all learn and advance this industry.

I just know that some of you are hiding a stain on the floor or driveway left over from some research experiment that just may be the next chemical stain color to add to the spectrum .
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 15-2-2004 at 20:20

I know how to make puke green but I doubt anyone will want their concrete puke green, It happend tonight actually. I mixed hydrocloric acid/acetone/motor oil in a large beaker(this is my solution I use to clean the bore of my black powder/DBSP cannon. I spilled some on the floor and imediatly tried wiping it off. It wouldnt come off even with water and a wire brush. I'm sure its permanetly stained. I've spilled other stuff on the concrete and each contained acid(sulfuric or HCL). With the acid was normaly another ingrediant of a weird color. What Ive noticed is wht ever color the solution is, that the color of the stained on the concrete. Because Im both grounded and bored, I'm going outside to coonduct an experiment on dyeing concrete. I jsut so happen to have a plywood board outback with concrete poured on it from a left over walkway I did today for some extra cash. Ill mix different color paints with different acids. Ill keep note of whether the paint was oil or water based and what conc. the acid was.
Hope I dont make a big mess.

Sorry about my bad grammer and spelling, I've had a few(like 5) screw drivers with my girl friend about an hour ago and I for some reason tend to mix more and more vodka in with each glass:( I used to have almost a full bottle and now its gone:(:o:cool::P

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by IgnorantlyIntelligent]

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"

Go To Top