Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Keck clips
starman
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2010 at 18:00

Quote: Originally posted by Mossydie  
Well that's what the website said...maybe I'll email them and ask.

How sensitive are the standard plastic ones - is it worth spending more for PTFE?

[Edited on 28-3-2010 by Mossydie]

Depends on temp range.From memory they're only rated to 140C.But even at higher temps you probably only need PTFE or metal clips on the flask/stillhead area.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-3-2010 at 19:23

I'd like to find a cheaper place to buy ball joint clamps- damned things are ridiculously expensive retail. Keck clamps are too but seem to be frequently available on ebay at reasonable rates. For higher temps I use metal wire and cork lined clamps.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-3-2010 at 08:49

Actually on eBay.co.uk the only ones there are the ball joint ones. Out of interest, what is the advantage of ball joint fittings?

I doubt I'd need anything to do really high temperatures, but thanks for the tip about putting an insulator between the clip and glass.

In conclusion, the two which are by far the cheapest are (in size B14) UGT at £1.65ea and SGL at £1.25ea, though UGT were definitely better at replying to emails, saying that the $22.50 postage was a mistake and should have come up as $6.

Having managed to get a response from SGL (called them) I'll get from there as they're marginally cheaper and postage is only £1.50 or so.

Thanks for the help with this - having proper clips be 100 times better than my old method of keeping joints in place (involving insulator tape and crossed fingers)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top