Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrating with NH4NO3 and HCl
plasma
Hazard to Self

Mood: Surprised

[*] posted on 20-5-2002 at 18:49
Nitrating with NH4NO3 and HCl

The nitration mixture for making hexamine dinitrate is HCl and NH4NO3. Could this mixture be used to nitrate other compounds (cotton, starch etc.) ?

If this works it has great advantages when considering the availability of these chemicals.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 20-5-2002 at 18:49

Nope. Here's why: hexamine is a basic organic compound, it forms salts with acids. Hexamine is (CH2)6N4. Hexamine dinitrate is (CH2)6N4*2HNO3.

NH4NO3 + HCl --> NH4Cl + HNO3
(CH2)6N4 + 2HNO3 --> (CH2)6N4*2HNO3

A solution of HNO3 and NH4Cl will not nitrate organic compounds such as starch, sugar, glycerin, etcetras.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
plasma
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-5-2002 at 18:50

Damn!

Thanks anyway
plasma
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-6-2002 at 12:08

I think I saw a post here (this forum) somewhere which had a list of acids which could be used as a subsitute for H2SO4 when nitrating. Could someone give me the link (or post it) because I can't find it.

I am asking this because the only way to get H2SO4 is to buy it as car batteries and destill. The problem is that car batteries are rather expensive. (I don't have very much money)

I can get H3PO4 (30 %) as a rust remover though, maybe that will work.

Thanks !
Rhadon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 17-6-2002 at 11:36

But you don't have to buy the whole batteries! Just go to a garage and ask if you can have some battery acid because you need it for experimental purposes.
If you don't want to tell them that you'll use it for chemical experiments, you could say that you wanted to try building a battery with it.
I never had problems with obtaining sulfuric acid this way, and I never had to pay for it, too.

[Edited on 17-6-2002 by Rhadon]
plasma
Hazard to Self

smile.gif posted on 17-6-2002 at 12:06

Thanks Rhadon I might just try that.
BTW, does anyone know if H3PO4 can be used instead of H2SO4 to nitrate ?
madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2002 at 12:47

I highly doubt it will work.

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 20-6-2002 at 11:13

I have tried to nitrate cellulose with 85% H3PO4 and 70% HNO3, but it failed. Of course cellulosehexanitrate is a very unforgiving compound when it comes to nitrating.

You can't make HNO3 from H3PO4 as it is a much weaker acid, but you could try it while heating the reagents.
plasma
Hazard to Self

smile.gif posted on 24-6-2002 at 14:39

I finaly found the post I was talking about, it was posted by Coen.
Quote:

Other acid-catalyzed nitrations can be done using mixtures of HNO3 with HF, HClO4, BF3, TFA, TFAA etc.

Obviously this cannot be used to nitrate cellulose because the H2SO4 is needed to "dehydrate" it. Does anybody know what compounds any of theese mixes will nitrate (HClO4 and HF in particular)
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 25-6-2002 at 06:38

I wouldn't nitrate any flammable substances with a HClO4/HNO3 mix! The biggest risk is spontaneous ignition and secondly, some highly unstable perchlorate esters will form.
plasma
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-6-2002 at 08:50

Thanks Vulture !
Any thoughts about the HNO3/HF mix. (ratios to use, dangers etc.)
madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2002 at 09:34

Hydrogen fluoride is extremely toxic.

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 8-7-2002 at 01:13

I find that HF as nitrating catalyst highly unlikely, except a few resistant organic molecules, everything else will fluorinated in stead of nitrated.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 20-9-2011 at 13:29

Solid NH4NO3 dissolved in 30% concentrated HCl is likely not entirely stable over time. There are various complex equilibria going on, and the ammonium ions potentially could slowly be attacked.

(3)NH4NO3 + (6)HCl --> (9)H2O + (3)N2 + (3)Cl2

Here is various information about different equilibria and reactions to substantiate this idea.

It is known that there exists the following equilibrium in aqua regia:
HNO3 + (3)HCl <==> NOCl + (2)H2O + Cl2

Now, you might argue that this only happens because 70% nitric acid is being used, but even 30%HCl with NaNO3 gives off brown fumes when heated, and is capable of attacking gold.

It is also known that a mix of nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide, together can oxidize ammonium cations. This apparently has more to do with an ill-understood reaction mechanism, rather than oxidizing strength. A mixture of nitric oxide (NO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2), obtained from the action of sulfuric acid on sodium nitrite, was bubbled into a boiling solution of ammonium perchlorate. Although the reaction was very slow, some of the ammonium ions were oxidized, leaving free perchloric acid in solution.

Chlorine gas may be bubbled into an aqueous solution of ammonium perchlorate for several hours with almost no observable reaction. Actually the reaction between Cl2 and ammonium salts is an equilibrium reaction.
NCl3 + (4)HCl <==> NH4Cl + (3)Cl2
The formation of oily drops of NCl3 is only favorable within a narrow pH range (around pH6), however.
Neither does concentrated nitric acid oxidize ammonium perchlorate.

It was observed that pure nitrogen dioxide oxidized ammonium perchlorate such that free perchloric acid could be obtained. The addition of nitric oxide, or if oxygen, to the nitrogen dioxide did not observably efect the reaction. Indeed, no reaction was observed when pure nitric oxide was bubbled into ammonium perchlorate. It was also observed that more than two molecules of NO2 formed for every molecule of perchloric acid.
A.W. Knight. Undergraduate Thesis at California Institute of Technology (1992). "Perchloric Acid from Ammonium Perchlorate and Oxides of Nitrogen

“reaction of ammonium perchlorate with nitric and hydrochloric acids, and then concentration at 198–200C to eliminate the unreacted acids by vacuum distillation:

34 NH4ClO4 +36 HNO3 + 8 HCl --> 34 HClO4 +4 Cl2 + 35 N2O + 73 H2O “
H. H. Willard,J. Am. Chem. Soc.34, 1480 (1912).

Ironically, slowly and gradually adding a small quantity of a reducing agent can allow concentrated nitric acid to oxidize ammonium ions. If formic acid is slowly added into a boiling solution of ammonium perchlorate and nitric acid, all of the ammonium ions in solution can be completely oxidized. Both of these reactions are thought to be due to the intermediate formation of nitrous acid, HNO2, which is capable of oxidizing ammonium ions. If, however, hydroiodic acid is slowly added to the boiling solution of ammonium perchlorate and nitric acid, the ammonium perchlorate is not decomposed to any significant extent. It appears that although the hydroiodic acid initially reduces the nitric acid to form nitrous acid as an intermediate, the nitrous acid is reduced by the hydroiodic acid at a much faster rate than it is formed. The oxidation of ammonium salts using nitric acid proceeds much more rapidly, and gives higher yields, when hydrochloric acid is used, rather than formic acid, although more concentrated nitric acid is required when hydrochloric acid is employed.

I also had the idea of "forcing" the reaction between ammonium perchlorate and chlorine, by subjecting the reaction to ultrasonic agitation (such as from a common mystifier). This might cause decomposition of the small portion of NCl3, that exists in equilibrium, into N2 and Cl2, potentially shifting the reaction forward.

[Edited on 20-9-2011 by AndersHoveland]

Go To Top