Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Total Synthesis of Carpanone from Catechol
Vogelzang
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-12-2009 at 18:37

Here's the schematics from the 1310, 1320, 1330 instruction manual. You can see that it has a lot of digital electronics in it.

Attachment: PE1310-Fig7-1-6.pdf (952kB)
This file has been downloaded 540 times

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 24-1-2010 at 22:30

I have been experimenting with the bromination of 1,2-methylenedioxybenzene in methanol using using sodium bromide, ammonium persulfate and a small quantity of sulfuric acid, initial yields look to be good. I am planning on doing something quite interesting reguarding the synthesis os sesamol. I plan to convert the bromo compound into a Grignard reagent and react it with a borate ester and hydrolyze to form the aryl boronic acid. The boronic acid can then be oxidized with hydrogen peroxide to form sesamol. I am planning on prparing isopropyl borate since methyl borate boiling point is to close to that of methanol to make separation feasible. Vogel describes a preparation of butyl borate, but I do not have any 1-butanol. Propy borate is a possibility since 1-propanol can be distilled from some chimney creosote remover sprays that contain it along with manganese (II) nitrate.

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
Vogelzang
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2010 at 14:28

You might be interested in this article.

Attachment: Labdev1970-p217-218.pdf (197kB)
This file has been downloaded 664 times

Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 28-1-2010 at 21:19

Forming the aryl boronic acid in high yield may prove trickier than in sounds. Your triisopropyl borate (most preferable) must be dry and free of alcohols (preferably distilled from Naº). Also, the order of addition and temperature are important, or you'll get diphenylborinic acid, etc. Aryl boronic acids are often nice crystalline solids, but they can be a pain to purify or characterize due to an equilibrium with the 'anhydride' dimer/trimer. Other than that, it sounds like a good idea :D Though I believe there are reliable copper(I) catalyzed reactions to go from the aryl halide to the phenol.
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 20:42

I have been gradually working on the carpanone synthesis, but grad school has slowed down my progress. I had to rethink my initial strategy to produce sesamol. I ended up running a Blanc chloromethylation reaction on the 1,3-benzodioxole, and then running a Sommlet reaction to produce the piperonal. I then ran a Dakin oxidation on the piperonal and subsequently hydrolyzed the resulting formate ester to make the sesamol. I then made allyl bromide via the procedure in Organic Syntheses using glycerol.I then ran a Williamson ether synthesis and then a Claisen Rearrangement to produce 2-allylsesamol. I attempted to isomerize the 2-allylsesamol using potassium hydroxide in DMSO, but all I recovered was a small amount of the starting material, I then resorted to using potassium tert-butoxide as in the literature procedure to produce a putative propenyl sesamol which I am working on trying to confirm as the desired product. The UV-vis spectrum demonstrates a large bathochromic shift when compared to the starting 2-allyl sesamol. The infrared spectra are fairly similar. I am working on getting my NMR to work, hopefully it will be fully working by summer. I am also working on a structural degradation of the suspected 2-propenylsesamol to produce the corresponding benzaldehyde which I will make a 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone derivative of for identification. I have not been able to find melting point data for the 2,4-DNP hydrazone of this aldehyde in any of my books or using Scifinder. I have also ran a test oxidative coupling on the suspected 2-propenylsesamol, but I still need to purify the product. I will make further updates as I have time to upload my infrared and UV-visible spectra. Hopefully, I will soon have my NMR operational and I will post NMR spectra as well. I have attached a drawing of the aldehyde that I need derivative information on.

[Edited on 2-1-2012 by benzylchloride1]

Attachment: 2-hydroxyl-4,5-methylenedioxybenzaldehyde.pdf (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 516 times

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 2-1-2012 at 03:54

What about Friedel-Crafts acylation of 1,3-benzodioxole with acetyl chloride. Dakin reaction of the ketone should produce the desired phenol. This method would eliminate the use of the easily oxidised aldehyde. I'll have to take a further look on reaxys once I get back to the uni.

[Edited on 2-1-2012 by kavu]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top