Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: plastics and ethanol?
lucky123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 09:04
plastics and ethanol?

I was wondering is there any plastic that could ever be used for an ethanol still? I have heard hdpe and pp plastics have excellent chemical resistance. So anyone here have a thought I have seen the polypipe still online and the amazing still and wonder about the safety....
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 09:50

I can't believe you didn't see see the discussion a few threads down.
Unless you have an extreme form of tunnel vision, you haven't even bothered looking. . .
Open your eyes, dammit!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 10:17

The issue would be heat resistance rather than chemical resistance - alcohol is often sold in plastic bottles!
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 10:21

A PTFE flask would work as a boiling flask if submerged in a waterbath (they are good beyond 120degC)
then rest can be polypropylene. OR for extreme resistance PTFE tubing, it isnt as expencive as it sounds...
lucky123
Harmless

shocked.gif posted on 10-11-2009 at 13:34
Where?

Really just a few threads down is a discusion about ethanol and plastics? I bad must have tunnel vision!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 14:35

It's in miscellaneous (assuming that's the one hissingnoise refers to) - a link I found yesterday on the chemical resistance of plastics. So your tunnel vision is probably ok :) .
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 22:32

In the very early days I tried to fashion a fractionation column out of a 3ft length of rigid 3/4 " PE filled with cut up 1/4 " rigid 'sprinkler riser' PE tubing as a poorman's raschig rings.All this to fractionate ethanol.It was working preyty well and had equilibriated nicely when suddenly the whole thing went down like a flaccid penis,faster than a bust at a brothel!

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
lucky123
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 06:34
fractional column

I was thinking of trying this with hdpe pipe packed with pot scrubbers and wonder if it will fall apart as well like you had happen. So I noticed the other day white drain pipe stamped pp instead of pvc. The compression nuts (white discs for joining pipes when screwing together) I think are ldpe which I think would be a problem at higher temps with ethanol... Any sugestions what to use to join pipes? That would be resistant and inert?
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 09:42

Polypropylene has excellent chemical resistance and an MP of about 165 DC. That should make it safe to use to up to about 140 DC, depending a little on wall thickness.

PP based conical measuring flasks can be bought on eBay and could be used as boilers for primitive stills below 140 DC. PP isn't very resistant to paraffinic (alkanes and such like, but OK for alcohols) liquids of course. One foreseeable problem might be the wattage of the boiler: with a steam bath at say 140 DC (add a boiling point increasing substance to the water: salts, glycol anti-freeze or glycerine for instance) the heat transfer from bath to boiler may not be very high and it may be hard to fill your column and obtain a distillate...

PVC is pretty chemically resistant too, especially the non-plasticised variety (rigid PVC) which has a fairly high MP, and is cheaply available as (grey) plumbing pipe. It would be suitable for relatively low temp. still columns (including alcohol): pack with adequate size glass marbles (or glass or pottery shards, screened to suitable average size) for extra surface and 'column loading'.

Now all you need is a condenser and a timed valve (or similar) for reflux control!

[Edited on 11-11-2009 by blogfast25]
lucky123
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 16:57
pvc?

Grey pvc pipe? Is that the electical conduit kind your talking about i see? Also wonder about things like ss sink drain pipes since they screw together nicely? The inside is golden color though so wonder if it is safe...(I see this in cambells soup cans sometimes too and have told soup cans are not a good idea.) On a final thought what you think about plastic pex pipe? Since it is already used in hot and cold water supplies... Would this be an excellent choice along with the most resistant and temp tolerant?
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 21:52

What has to be born in mind in plastics is the softening temperature .In the example I gave the faily thick-walled tubing was only at less than 80C,well below melting point.It didn't "fall apart" it went down like a slapped erection.In a later modification I sleeved the HDPE inside a slightly larger PVC,which solved the "droopy dick" syndrome.In the end I grew oh so weary of stuffing around with plastic and spent the money required for purpose-built equipment
One thing though,raschig rings,with far better resolution power than marbles or any type of wool are outrageously expensive.For low temp fractionation cut up small diameter PE tubing is a very cheap alternative that is almost as good.

[Edited on 13-11-2009 by starman]

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2009 at 07:13

@ Lucky123:

Not sure what you mean by 'pex': crosslinked PE? That would probably work as the cross links make the product virtually unmeltable (although it will soften). I've never heard of crosslinked PE tubes for 'domestic. applications though.

No, I'm specifically referring to uPVC pipes for plumbing: grey, cheap and cheerful, although PVC pipes to house electrical domestic wiring would work too (but that's usually only 1/2 inch diam.).

For a boiler one could also consider a PP or PVC thick walled bottle like the ones used to package shampoo, detergents, washing machine stuff, fabric conditioner etc. Usually the material is indicated at the bottom. Or use Pyrex kitchen glass ware, like measuring jugs, small sauce pans etc. I use these all the time for direct flame resistant and chemically resistant containers and reactors.

@ Starman:

Totally agreed on the Raschig rings. Alternative packing could also be silicone tubing used for RC model aircraft fuel lines, cut into small lengths (L = D). It doesn't resist hot water for very long though due to hydrolysis (silicone ---> silica).

Also rather than one long column, shorter column segments that can be shunted onto each other to make up the required column length are to be preferred. That also allows to redistribute the down flow back to the centre of the packing: the liquid has a tendency to fan out to the column walls, thereby reducing resolution of the column.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2009 at 08:25

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Not sure what you mean by 'pex': crosslinked PE? That would probably work as the cross links make the product virtually unmeltable (although it will soften). I've never heard of crosslinked PE tubes for 'domestic. applications though.
PEX tubing (yes, crosslinked polyethylene) is one of the piping materials of choice these days for residential work. The system is PEX tubing, metal crimp rings, and brass joints. It's advantage is very quick installation, shifting cost from labor to materials for a net decrease, commercially. If your time is cheap it may not be the best solution. But it's popular; Home Depot sells crimping tools, for example. It's flexible, but has a pretty large bend radius. It's not the best choice for home-made process piping, though, because the metal joint pieces get pricey and may be too reactive for many applications.

There's also a specialty PEX-Al-PEX tubing, which has an interior aluminum liner, used for hydronic heating, which is impervious to gas infiltration.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2009 at 08:42

Interesting, Watson.

Peroxide cross linked PE (HDPE, I'd assume) would derive it's rigidity from the crystalline domains and the links but above the MP of the crystallites (about 110 DC) the material would behave very much like a cross linked (cured) elastomer like a high ethylene grade ethylene propylene copolymer - or a terpolymer with diene insaturation (as used in under the hood auto applications, see Nordel, Vistalon, Dutral etc), including high floppiness...

Probably not suited for alcohol still columns!
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2009 at 09:02

http://www.amazingstill.com/

gsd
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2009 at 10:08

That's essentially a simple (but inventive) one-stage still.

Strand, BTW, also supplies Raschig rings (or at least used to).

=============

Also really interesting design for a copper tubing based fractionation distillation still, here:

http://www.moonshine-still.com/

with an interesting and doable design for valved reflux column head that could be fitted to any suitably sized column:

http://www.moonshine-still.com/page16.htm

[Edited on 14-11-2009 by blogfast25]
lucky123
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2009 at 20:45

what about ldpe tubing I would think not be satisfactory? Has good resistance but temp wise no good? Also what about cpvc hear has better risistance and temp than regular pvc....
lucky123
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2009 at 23:24
pete?

Pete plastic I haven't been able to find a chemical resistance chart on this type of plastic. Would this be satisfactory to use and anyone have a link to some info on this plastic
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2009 at 02:21

PETE (use the all caps form, else it sounds as if you're taking about a person) is also know as PET or Polyethylene terephthalate. The database at http://nalgenelab.nalgenunc.com/techdata/chemical/index.asp has it listed as Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET), and suggests it is satisfactory up to 50 C. At 70 C and above you are on questionable ground, both chemical resistance and mechanical properties may be degraded.

Go with metal piping, even ferrous water pipe - can buy it threaded and with fixtures for making the take-off arm and connecting to the still pot..
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 24-11-2009 at 16:44

Are you the dude in X-men 2 who is locked in that prison made entirely of plastic and as such needs a non-metal solution otherwise the prison authorities won't allow the stil.
Wait, no that guy escaped by using his magnetic mutant ability (that happens to work on all metals not just nickel and iron) to 'suck' the iron out of a guards body, so it can't be you. Forget the question.
I think his name was Magnetia or Magnet Man or something, he had a funny hat and was played by that super camp british actor who is also Gandalf and does a funny cameo on an episode of Extra's. Actually every cameo on extra's is funny so that was a tautology, sorry for that and while i'm at it sorry for this slightly irrelevant post, i'll redeem myself by adding some pertinent information now.
PE stands for polyethylene for those unaware of this abbreviation.

lucky123
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-12-2009 at 21:50
cling wrap?

Is cling wrap HDPE or LDPE plastic and anyone know of a plastic wrap made of PVDF? Also wonder what you guys think of pex pipe or cpvc since they are both used for hot water lines seem they would handle the high temps...
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by lucky123  
Is cling wrap HDPE or LDPE plastic
Most such films are polyethylene, with one useful exception: Saran Wrap is polypropylene. They'll both exclude water just fine, but the PP film also excludes oxygen diffusion. This means it will keep your guacamole green, by pressing the film down onto the surface.
lucky123
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 19:13

I believe according to the website for saran wrap they say:
What ingredients are in Saran wrap

™ Premium Wrap and our Saran

™ Cling Plus® Wrap are made with Polyethylene!
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2009 at 05:30

I believe according to the website for saran wrap they say:
What ingredients are in Saran wrap

™ Premium Wrap and our Saran

™ Cling Plus® Wrap are made with Polyethylene!
Must have changed in the fifteen years since I last learned this. See the Wikipedia entry. And according to this, it wasn't polypropylene, but PVDF. Apparently my source was wrong.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2009 at 06:23

Also wonder what you guys think of pex pipe or cpvc since they are both used for hot water lines seem they would handle the high temps...

CPVC generally has various additives in it, which might extract out into the alcohol. Both contamination from codistillation, and embrittlement of the plastic, are possible concerns.

PEX is less likely to have those problems, but is sensitive to air oxidation in direct or bright indirect sunlight.

Both CPVC and PEX tubing are somewhat flexible, not the best thing for a still column which needs to be straight and vertically aligned.

Polymethylpentene is more likely to work, but isn't as likely to be easily found.

Plastic pot scrubbers used as packing are likely to have issues with both heat and extraction. I suspect the first use would result in a settling and compression of them to the bottom of the column or into the still pot.

Read that link to still making blogfast25 gave earlier. Metal is the least likely to cause problems, even if it costs more. Check salvage yards as you may find needed materials more cheaply.

Go To Top