Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ordering from Alibaba???
Bikemaster
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 16:43
Ordering from Alibaba???

Did some one of you have ever make an order from these suppliers? They seem to have good price on item thant you need a lot (like potassium nitrate).
Have you any experience?

thanks
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 17:18

There are thousands of companies on there - it's a B2B marketplace. I'd imagine some are good and some are crooked, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a rating system like EBay has. I'd try to research any individual company before ordering from them. Also, the twenty ton minimum orders for a lot of items really suggest that this just isn't the right venue for retail chemical purchases.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 18:35

I thought Alibaba was a defunct internet scam site from the 90s.

Then, I haven't been there since those times :P

From what bbartlog says, it sounds like Ebay meets Amazon, so you'd be playing lucky dip it seems.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 19:08

I've signed up and put up a notice for a quote and received maybe 8 replies. Most of them haven't properly read my post and want to sell me megatons.

But it's a reasonable gateway to Asian and Indian suppliers.

So far I haven't parted with any $$, and no-one has supplied any sample quantities, but the dialogue is interesting.

Edit
The way I work, after receiving a contact via Alibaba, I Google the company and look at their website. If they don't have a legitimate-looking web presence then they are too risky.

[Edited on 15-11-2009 by Paddywhacker]
Bikemaster
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2009 at 11:08

This is an exemple of what i search:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/200123375/Sodium_Nitrite.h...

It is sure that i don't need any tons... but like this supplier, they have any minimum purchase (at least one bag of 25Kg).
I will try to get a quote from one of those supplier.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 15-11-2009 at 11:47

What you have there (labeled on the bags and in description) is nitrate, not nitrite. The title is nitrite though.

One mistake like this can make you bash your head against the wrong sack you've just received.
Bikemaster
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2009 at 12:10

... that true... i was just checking for an exemple, but before making any purchase if will really check the product.
Can i take that for and exemple for someone that i should not buy???:P
devongrrl
Hazard to Self

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 18-11-2009 at 09:51

I doubt it would be worthwhile

Business suppliers usually have high minimum quantities and you'd be responsible for all the importation paperwork and taxes

Formula409
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-11-2009 at 14:57

What you want to do is approach the company and ask for a sample of their product for "quality testing". Usually they will send 500-1000g for FREE or for free and you pay the shipping.

I've just done up a template and change the chemical name on it and CC in every supplier of a particular product I am after.

So far I have received about 5kg of NaBr and countless other 500g samples. I did, however get an angry call from one of them asking why I had not purchased the 1000MT I asked for a quote on :P

Sure, it's slightly dishonest, but once verifying the supplier I have no qualms actually buying products off them as their prices are usually AMAZING!

Formula409.
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 07:18
alibaba

sample requests from listed manufacturers and dealers are relatively hassle-free, but even if you're offered the actual sample at low to no cost, the shipping charge (often express airmail) can be steep.

i always get a kick out of browsing through the buying requests for chemicals at alibaba. most of them appear to be legit 20' FCL orders, but some stand out as frivoulous or ill-advised to say the least:

http://sourcing.alibaba.com/rfq_detail.htm?id=1103808830

(from India)

http://sourcing.alibaba.com/rfq_detail.htm?id=101017406

(from Egypt)

http://sourcing.alibaba.com/rfq_detail.htm?id=101025070

(from the USA)

let me hope it's no member of this forum =D
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 10:06

i have asked for cyanide on alibaba and gotten emails from columbia willing to sell me the cyanide in low quantity. a package with white powder from columbia can maybe arrive to miami o.k. but i doubt it will get to texas without it being cut 100 times.(just joking).in all seriousnes i read a feedback from a buyer praising the columbian supplier's top quality business and product. the buyer's name in the review that praised the cyanide seller matched the vendor's name that answered my request for cyanide. either the buyer was just advertising himself or he purchased all of the vendor's product and by the way only wants western union money or direct deposit to his bank.all other vendors that have answered whether they be in spain,india,germany ,singapore etc.. have the emails coming out of cameroon. cameroon is known for scammers,one supplier emailed me saying he would ship in an inconspicuouse container as it is well know that cyanide is illegal to purchase in like manner.one supplier's name was mr. winfrey owner of oprah chemicals ,another supplier has the name of the mexican tycoon carlos slim and this slim guy is copartner with alot of other suppliers.i have although received an herb from a mexican vendor that was shipped with a different label so as not to draw attention from customs. the package did arrive and i was shaking in my boots as i picked it up at the post office but was like "say hello to my little friend" as i walked out.
triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 16:29

Quote: Originally posted by Formula409  
Sure, it's slightly dishonest, but once verifying the supplier I have no qualms actually buying products off them as their prices are usually AMAZING!

Formula409.

1. I don't see how anything coming after the "Sure, it's slightly dishonest, but..." part is terribly significant.

2. If they require huge minimum orders, how do you order from them, even if they have great prices?
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 16:52

Quote: Originally posted by triplepoint  
Quote: Originally posted by Formula409  

Formula409.

1. I don't see how anything coming after the "Sure, it's slightly dishonest, but..." part is terribly significant.

2. If they require huge minimum orders, how do you order from them, even if they have great prices?

Being slightly dishonest is the best you do when dealing with this oriental traders (most alibaba vendors are from china, india or vietnam), most of them won't hesitate to do the same to you. They will often lie about the quality of their products, ship a little less than it was bought, and other things like that.

Most of the vendors there are industrial suppliers, but there are quite a few lab suppliers aswell, which will be happy to sell you a few kg of their chemicals.
triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 22:33

Simba said: there are quite a few lab suppliers as well, which will be happy to sell you a few kg of their chemicals.

I was not aware of this. Thanks for the info. I'll have to pay more attention to alibaba listings. I usually ignore them, figuring they are industrial-scale only.
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 09:05
Alibaba

Quote: Originally posted by Paddywhacker  
I've signed up and put up a notice for a quote and received maybe 8 replies. Most of them haven't properly read my post and want to sell me megatons.

But it's a reasonable gateway to Asian and Indian suppliers.

So far I haven't parted with any $$, and no-one has supplied any sample quantities, but the dialogue is interesting.

Edit
The way I work, after receiving a contact via Alibaba, I Google the company and look at their website. If they don't have a legitimate-looking web presence then they are too risky.

[Edited on 15-11-2009 by Paddywhacker]

Mega tons is all the Alibaba sites will sell. I tried to get small lab quantities last year from several of them with no luck, but they will sell small amounts to their US or other authorizied sellers.

Go To Top