Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: clamp for 14/20 neck?
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-11-2009 at 21:05
clamp for 14/20 neck?

all of my clamps are way too big for the neck of a 14/20, i'm trying to find a clamp to fit around the neck of a 14/20 distilling flask and secure it to a stand.

any ideas?
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 16-11-2009 at 23:49

United Glass Tech carries clamps in most sizes.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were talking about Keck clips. For clamps for ring stands you'd probably find some on eBay.

[Edited on 17-11-2009 by Lambda-Eyde]
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 17-11-2009 at 13:56

Wrap some paper on the prongs of the clamps, then wrap on some fabric tape (like the fabric bandaid tape) to give it some traction :D Works for me.

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-11-2009 at 15:29

Might be an issue if flame is going to be applied though. Aren't clamps adjustable down to about a few mm? Something like that could hold B10 to B40 and would be less than £10 on eBay.
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-11-2009 at 12:42

allow me to clarify with my photoshop skillz :D

the pic on the left is the way it is now, my clamp goes around the vigreux but the "claws" of the clamp are way too big and way too spaced apart to fit around the neck of a 14/20. they fit around a 24/40 perfectly but i'm worried about my distilling flask potentially dropping at an inopportune time because the only thing holding it is a keck clip.

the pic on the right is what i'm shooting for and basically how i clamp my 24/40 when i use it

example.jpg - 97kB
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 18-11-2009 at 14:35

Hum, in that case, i think youll have to buy those really tiny clamps. I have a few 3 pronged clamps that are so tiny they cant be used for anything else than 14/20.

Or if you wanna get creative, you can wrap wire around the neck and secure it somewhere up the setup, like the top of your column or your distillation head?

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 18-11-2009 at 17:32

I use an old fashioned burette clamp with some plastic tape wrapped around it to cushion the neck of the flask. I have some 3-pronged clamps that are small enough, such as Saerynide mentioned, but they don't seem secure enough. I often just clamp the stillhead and use a Keck clamp to hold them together for a vacuum distillation. The vacuum holds the flask on in that case.

[Edited on 19-11-2009 by entropy51]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2009 at 18:23

You could try a 4-jaw clamp - this is what I've always used, and have had no problems securing B14, B19 or B24 flasks.
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-11-2009 at 05:18

like entropy51 said when doing vacuum distillations there really is no worry but i use it for atmospheric distillations also and while it's probably still not much of an issue, i like having piece of mind ;)

i like DJF90's idea, the bottom 2 jaws of a 4-pronged jaw clamp should be able to take care of it then the top 2 would fit on the vigreux with the keck filling the gap between the upper and lower jaws if there's a big enough space in between the prongs

thanks!
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2009 at 17:30

Quote: Originally posted by EmmisonJ  
i'm worried about my distilling flask potentially dropping at an inopportune time because the only thing holding it is a keck clip.
Any reason not to use a ring clamp underneath the boiling flask as a protection measure?
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-11-2009 at 11:49

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
i'm worried about my distilling flask potentially dropping at an inopportune time because the only thing holding it is a keck clip.
Any reason not to use a ring clamp underneath the boiling flask as a protection measure?

excellent idea! it'd get in the way of the water/oil bath though
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2009 at 07:01

excellent idea! it'd get in the way of the water/oil bath though
I don't know how handy you are in a metal shop, but fabricating an dogleg ring wouldn't be too difficult. By "dogleg ring", I mean one that clamps up high, comes out straight for a (changeable) bit, turns down for bit, then turns out straight again for a bit before the ring. If I were doing it, I'd weld on some rod stock to the end of an existing ring and then do two bends with the assistance of propane torch. There are plenty of other ways of doing this.

Straight rings date from the era of open flame heating. A dogleg ring is just updating this for more controllable heating sources.
white rabbit
Harmless

Mood: Groovy

[*] posted on 13-12-2009 at 16:15

I have actually found the small 3 finger clamps and I bought a few on ebay, new in the pkg. They are Fischer brand and are sometimes used to hold burrets and thermometers. Here is a picture of them and the 14/20 clamps I fabbed in the shop.

Tiny clamps 001 smaller.JPG - 46kB

clamps 004.jpg - 132kB
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 01:18

Nice fabrication skills... and I'm glad you found some clamps that were the right size :)

Go To Top