Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iodine Extraction from Tincture
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 15-1-2019 at 21:26
Iodine Extraction from Tincture

I am sure that most of the more senior members here already know how to extract the iodine from tincture, but many beginners do not. I am only posting this because apon a search the forum contains no information on this particular extraction.
Move it if you would like, I felt that it fit here as it is a reagent.

On average, tincture of iodine contains anywhere from 2 to 10 percent iodine along with potassium or sodium iodide in a solution of aqueous ethanol. This can be extracted by adding a mixture of hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide.

Add one bottle of 2% iodine tincture to an erlinmeyer flask. Mix in about 35mL 20% hydrochloric acid. Precision doesn't matter all that much here. Add your flask to an ice bath (this isn't necessary although it helps reduce iodine vapor) and slowly add 30mL of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Stirr thoroughly and filter. All of this must be done in a fume hood or outside due to iodine vapors. Wash the filtered iodine with distilled water and hang in a sealed glass container over anhydrous calcium chloride to dry.
To purify your iodine, add it to a beaker and place a round bottomed flask full of ice water over the top. Turn on the heat and evaporate your iodine. Crystals will collect on the bottom of the flask. Scrape these and any on the sides of the beaker off, leaving anything else on the bottom. Thats about it, make sure you store it properly.

A few things to keep in mind of course are that iodine, despite having a better reputation then the other halogens is still toxic. It also as the tendency to stain most any surface.

[Edited on 1-16-19 by Abromination]

IMG_5345.JPG - 1MBIMG_5340.JPG - 687kBIMG_5339.JPG - 185kB

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

Mood: Feelin groovy

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 14:19

Thanks for this. Not even a full 24 hours ago , I was staring at a bottle of povidone iodine wondering how to get the iodine .
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 14:36

Quote: Originally posted by itsafineday  
Thanks for this. Not even a full 24 hours ago , I was staring at a bottle of povidone iodine wondering how to get the iodine .

Povidone iodine has a polymer material that needs breaking down. A different method is needed.
Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 22:27

Ive tried multiple times to extract iodine from tincture and decolorized KI/NaI solution and every time when i try subliming the iodine what happens is it condenses on the bottom of the beaker and then disolves in the water. I cant figure out how to dry it.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 23:13

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Quote: Originally posted by itsafineday  

Povidone iodine has a polymer material that needs breaking down. A different method is needed.

Povidone iodine requires a very different extraction proceedure.
NileRed has a great video on it, although this is way cheaper. It is still cheaper just to buy plain iodine, but it is often restricted.

IMG_5363.JPG - 852kB

Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
--------------
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

Mood: Feelin groovy

[*] posted on 27-1-2019 at 05:48

Thanks for the heads up J. Cool picture, Abromination. I'm going through Thompson's All Lab No lecture book and this thread is a good complement to one of the labs.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 14:24

Good write up, Abromination. One suggestion: add the size of the iodine tincture bottle. I don't know if that's standardized, but if someone has a different bottle that'll affect the amounts.

I tried the extraction from Povidone a while back, and it led to one of my (thankfully few) lab disaster stories. The procedure called for 3% hydrogen peroxide, but I figured I'd save time and use (a smaller volume of) 27% peroxide instead. Everything went fine after adding a few mL, so I went ahead and added the rest. Shortly afterward, the rate of bubbling increased rapidly and the beaker began spewing purple fumes. I grabbed the beaker and ran outside with it, a cloud of purple following in my wake. Stained quite a few surfaces on the way out! But luckily that came out with a little sodium thiosulfate solution. My sinuses were irritated for a good while after that, too.

And itsafineday, that book is wonderful. I have a copy, too. Really great resource for experiments!
Abromination
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Good write up, Abromination. One suggestion: add the size of the iodine tincture bottle. I don't know if that's standardized, but if someone has a different bottle that'll affect the amounts.

I tried the extraction from Povidone a while back, and it led to one of my (thankfully few) lab disaster stories. The procedure called for 3% hydrogen peroxide, but I figured I'd save time and use (a smaller volume of) 27% peroxide instead. Everything went fine after adding a few mL, so I went ahead and added the rest. Shortly afterward, the rate of bubbling increased rapidly and the beaker began spewing purple fumes. I grabbed the beaker and ran outside with it, a cloud of purple following in my wake. Stained quite a few surfaces on the way out! But luckily that came out with a little sodium thiosulfate solution. My sinuses were irritated for a good while after that, too.

And itsafineday, that book is wonderful. I have a copy, too. Really great resource for experiments!

Funny, I guess I forgot. I used two 2% 30mL bottles although the procedure here only uses 1 bottle. Thanks for catching that!

--------------
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 29-1-2019 at 15:29

KI. Absolutely painless, OTC and easily available.

Tincture is a pain.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Abromination
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-1-2019 at 22:46

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Tincture is a pain.

Not where I live, I cant find iodides that ship.

--------------
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 30-1-2019 at 16:10

Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  

Tincture is a pain.

Not where I live, I cant find iodides that ship.[/rquote

Wow, not on ebay? KI is a "dietary supplement" in case of radioactive exposure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100g-3-52oz-Pure-Potassium-Iodide-C...

edit-crazy formatting on the quote

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Abromination
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-1-2019 at 18:12

Thanks, mate. The first offer I've seen that ships to my AK zip coad.
Next time I need some I'll buy that.

--------------
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 31-1-2019 at 17:46

My local pharmacist describes the stupid laws as "swatting a gnat with a sledge hammer", but KI is a work around. Glad to be of help. LoudWolf on ebay has just about anything ya might want too, just sometimes pricey. Where I get my permanganate.

Abromination
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2019 at 18:25

My local pharmacist describes the stupid laws as "swatting a gnat with a sledge hammer", but KI is a work around. Glad to be of help. LoudWolf on ebay has just about anything ya might want too, just sometimes pricey. Where I get my permanganate.

Thanks, Ill check him out. Pharmacies up here are pretty sad, you can't get much useful stuff for amateurs.

--------------
Gru
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 00:07

Does this work with H3PO4?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 00:54

Quote: Originally posted by Gru  
Does this work with H3PO4?

I don't see why not. Phosphate shouldn't react with iodine and you also have no chlorine (as iodine monochloride) when too much peroxide is used. ICl will probably be lost as a liquid during filtration, but it takes iodine with it so it will reduce yield.
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2019 at 10:10

This is such a huge waste of your time I think.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 10-2-2019 at 15:29

I ordered it a hundred grams from above link. Extended ship time, I'll post when I get it.

*Edit* 100gm of KI

[Edited on 2-10-2019 by arkoma]

Go To Top