Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HCl and Cl2
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 3-1-2004 at 23:43
HCl and Cl2

I was just wondering, what does HCl smell like? And how is it different from the smell of Cl2 (not that I would want to smell it :P)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 3-1-2004 at 23:48

For me it produced intense burning in my nose. I have never inhaled the fumes deeply(luckily for my lungs). I dont recall a smell, more like just pain.
blindreeper
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 02:39

I went to hospital for chlorine gas poisioning and it smells like really strong pool chlorine or belach (NaOCl) As the for HCl, much the same but more burning than the chocking of Cl2 :o
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 03:28

Hmm... I didn't think Cl2 smelled like bleach when I got poisoned by it. It kinda has this weird after-smell to it that NaClO doesnt have. Maybe its just me, I dunno. But I always thought HCl would smell very different. :o
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 07:53

Tricky problem. The 2 compounds smell different. Both irritate the nose and lungs.

As for describing the smell in words.... I think the language is not well adapted to that. How can you describe the smell of an onion, except that it smells like an onion?
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 08:06

English just doesnt have enough words to describe smells... :mad:
Guess I'll never find out the smell HCl til I do something careless and breathe it :(
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 09:24

If you want to investigate the smell of HCl, simply open your bottle, and take a small whif in through your nose. You should feel a stinging in your sinuses as the gaseous HCl goes into solution with the moisture in your nose forming hydrochloric acid. No worries, it's temporary and the stinging will go away in a second or two.

I've learned that while experimenting with something that may/will evolve nasty gases, always breath through your nose. The temptation of not 'smelling' it is overshadowed by the fact that you are still taking it in and may be ingesting even more than if you were breathing through your nose. Far better to be fore warned of a gas danger than not be bothered by the smell when it comes.

The description of 'very strong bleach', as I beleive was stated up there, is quite accurate.

Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<b> <a href=\"http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEE41A2B1\">PGP Key</a> </b> 0C0A 7486 B97F 92EE AE50 A98C A4F3 087E 8CE9 A782
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 14:31

My best description of the smell of HCl is like touching a battery to the inside of your throat and into the back of your nose. It really doesn't have a smell that I can put my finger on, it's just, it's strange, chlorine and the other halogens have a similar smell, a strong stinging sensation that has metalic character, HCl is stronger and different.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 15:36

Chlorine has a smell of strong Bleach. When I've made it using NaOCl (which, in itself, smells of Chlorine), I just notice the smell getting stronger and stronger until it starts to sting and burn-- at which point I leave the area.

HCl is more of a "stinging" feeling, and not as burning as Cl2. It has a sour, mildly acrid smell. By the way, if you want to smell HCl, do not take a whiff of the fumes of Muriatic Acid-- that's how you go to the hospital. Always be sure to WAFT. But I'm sure you know that, already :)

How have you managed to hospitalize yourself for Cl2 exposure? I find the effects go away after a day or so-- and it's only uncomfortable for a few minutes after. Then again, I generally don't get many whiffs of it; I take a breath of the remaining fresh air and get out-- or don the gas mask, if it's nearby.
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 01:15

BromicAcid has found the word to describe it! Cl2 has a metallic smell to it that makes it a bit different from NaClO!

Are you asking blindreeper or how I got Cl2 poisoning?

For me, I didnt go to the hospital, even though I shouldve seen a doctor. I didnt want my parents to find out. But anyways, I was electrolysing a huge bucket of salt water, and I placed a cloth over the bucket so dust and crap wouldnt get in. I left the cell to run for a whole day forgetting the fact that Cl2 would be trapped under the cloth... So there I was at 12 AM deciding to check how things were coming along. I pulled the cloth off and there goes all that Cl2 waiting for me. Of course, I ran for my life, but I felt really sick after. My chest hurt, it was hard to breathe and I was feeling really weak (I almost fell down the stairs). Next day, I still wasnt feeling too good, but at least my lungs didnt hurt anymore.
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 13:41

I think HCl smells like the feeling you get when you drink orange juice and laugh too hard and it squirts out of your nose, it burns just like it. Getting two whiffs was almost enough to give me a sore throat for a couple of days, one time. All I can say is that Cl<sub>2</sub> smells <i>cleaner</i> than bleach to me. Maybe it does smell metallic, but I'm not about to try to pinpoint the smell by trying it again. In low concentrations from my chlorate cell, a bit more than enough to make my room smell clean to my parents and get rid of lingering ammonia smells from the cat box, slowly makes my nose and eyes dry out.

Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 08:50

Why does everyone say Cl2 smells *clean*?? :o I think it smells dirtier than bleach... but maybe its just cause I hate it to hell after feeling what it does to you
:D
Acid Test
fruitcake

Mood: Flying High Aga

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 10:03
Chlorine Gas and Chloric acid

Natural Forming Atom Chlorine is a negatively
charged acidic gas.
Chlorine can be generated rapidly and in
large quantities by putting bleach in a
peanut butter jar and taking a leak in it.
Chloric Acid has a different effect in the
sense that it is of a chloral nature it also
burns mucous membrane linings where pure
chlorine gas causes asphyxiation and edema
of the respiratory system.It is not of a
burning acidic nature but is a very painful
and unpleasent experience.
Atom chlorine is usually dissolved in water
like hydrochloric acid and chloric acid
dissapated into chlorine with time when
exposed to the air.Chloric acid can be
bubbled into water like formaldehyde,HCl and
chlorine

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Acid Test]

guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 10:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Saerynide
I was just wondering, what does HCl smell like? And how is it different from the smell of Cl2 (not that I would want to smell it :P)

Of course, each and every one of us has their very own HCl generator. You've probably tasted HCl on multiple occasions, if you think back to when you've been very sick.:cool:
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 03:18

Quote:
Chlorine can be generated rapidly and in large quantities by putting bleach in a peanut butter jar and taking a leak in it.

Pissing in bleach will give you chloramine, a substance even more toxic than Cl2...
guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 09:10

Quote:
Quote:
Chlorine can be generated rapidly and in large quantities by putting bleach in a peanut butter jar and taking a leak in it.

Pissing in bleach will give you chloramine, a substance even more toxic than Cl2...

I'm sorry, but if you're reduced to pissing in bleach, you need to step back and evaluate your choice in hobbies.
overseer
Harmless

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 10:40

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, but if you're reduced to pissing in bleach, you need to step back and evaluate your choice in hobbies.

:D:D:D
Acid Test
fruitcake

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 10:52

Wouldn't HClO3 actually decompose to element
hydrogen and chlorine trioxide.
Or Even better Hydrochloric Acid and Oxygen.
With chloric acid you could create oxygen
gas on a microscale for those psychedelic
drug recipes on a microscale.
Eg-to make EtO2

DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 12:22

A much more hygienical way to produce n-Chloramine is by adding Ammonia to Bleach ;). I've done this one a few times before too... It doesn't have the same pungent odor as Chlorine, but is a bit "lighter" and not as burny.

Depending on pH and temperature, mono-, di-, or even Nitrogen Trichloride will be favored. .
Acid Test
fruitcake

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 12:36

Actually isn't this a procedure for making
hydrazine?
2NH3+NaOCl+heat=>NH2-NH2+NaOH+Cl

I have read peoples reports of making
hydrazine sulfhate by adding H2SO4 after
with differing results with violent reactions
giving off white fumes and bubbles,then
smelling like rotting food or garbage.

I wonder why.You have NH2-NH2 dissolved in
NaOH
You have to isolate the NH2-NH2 from the NaOH

DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 22:20

It is also the reaction to produce Hydrazine, correct. But the reaction that produces Hydrazine is one of several that can take place when those two chemicals are combined, and it is a very "sensitive" reaction that is easily over-favored by competing reactions.
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 01:06

Quote:
Originally posted by guaguanco
Quote:
Quote:

Its not me that's pissing in bleach, its AcidTest that came up with the idea :P
Acid Test
fruitcake

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 06:07

Actually i read a procedure for making hydrazine
from urea and a metal catalyst.Since this
procedure is incorrect.(I have done tests..
I have my own procedure for cleaning urine of
waste and re-purifying it with ammonia.I use
NaOH and Pentyl Alcohol to clean it.)
I have heated 1 oz of urea with an Al
catalyst.Once the urea boils away,
then if you are standing over the pot you
will get a faint whiff of ammonia gas.
The procedure doesnt work.Maybe the industry
uses this procedure to get ammonia.
In fact i did this last night.
By the way my urine boils clean with no
odur what-so-ever

Acid Test
fruitcake

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 07:57

Sorry - I meant Et2O

required for an LSD synthesis step

Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 07:41
I must be psychic

Looks like I predicted right before when I said I would never find out the smell of HCl til I did something stupid. Well, I did something stupid. :P

Started out when I was collecting Cl2 from an NaOH cell so I could get two products in one. I added the Cl2 to a container of water and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours. Then I shook it up good. Intuition told me not to open jars containing noxious gases indoors, but I didnt listen to myself and I opened it in the bathroom. That was the first mistake. I left the door closed and let the container air out in there. When I returned a few hours later and opened the door, the whole bathroom was filled with HCl! Guess the solution couldnt contain all that HCl after it warmed up. Not leaving the window open was the second big mistake. I took a litre of boiling water and dumped in a box of baking soda. Then I threw the solution in (literally) and shut the door and left it hoping some HCl would get neutralized if I left it long enough to settle on the soda soaked floor. Then I couldnt find my cat. I checked everywhere. Worst case senario immediately came to mind. I ran into my bathroom and fortunately he wasnt in there. Unfortunately, I couldnt convince myself to accept that so easily... So I stood in there for a while, terrified for my cat, and double checking the place a million times to make sure he wasnt there. when I was finally satisfied, my lungs were not.

This was two nights ago, and I still cant take deep breaths. I should do something about it if it gets any worse...

So from this experience, I conclude that you guys descriptions of HCl are quite accurate. ;)

BTW: Look at Acid Test's title :D

Go To Top