Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Smokeless powder manufacture
uchiacon
Hazard to Self

Mood: Financial

[*] posted on 29-11-2009 at 21:32
Smokeless powder manufacture

Hey guys

So I have just made a large quantity of nitrocellulose with about 600mls nitrating mixture, and I was think that there must be a way to make a smokeless powder from it.

After giving it a quick search on google, and I found a bit about how cordite is made.
"Cordite is the specific name of a smokeless powder which has been adopted by the English government as a military explosive. It contains nitroglycerine, 58 parts; gun cotton, 37 parts; and petrolatum, 5 parts. The nitroglycerine and gun cotton are first mixed, 19.2 parts of acetone added, and the pasty mass kneaded for several hours. The petrolatum is then added and the mixture again kneaded. The paste is then forced through fine openings to form threads, which are dried at about 105° F. until the acetone evaporates. The threads, which resemble brown twine, are then cut into short lengths for use."

From other information, I came to the conclusion that older smokeless powders are made with nitroglycerin/guncotton with a few percent of camphor, wetted with a solvent, rolled into sheets, pulverised, and then granulated.

I might try this after I've finished my visco fuse machine and sodium azide synthesis.

If anyone has anything to add, or can give me any other information I would be very interested

Cheers
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2009 at 23:30

You might read more about removing trace amounts of acid from the nitrocellulose. These trace amounts lead to a self catalyzing decomposition, which lead to some nasty fires and explosions that first stored nitrocellulose. I believe that amine stabilizers were added to the final product,after a rigorous cleaning and fiber ripping process. in order to absorb these nitric acid decomposition products. Failure to do so may lead to problems.

grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2009 at 20:05

Im sure you can make facsimilie of cordite but I hope you dont intend to use it as a propellant in a smokless powder firearm;IE reload cartridges.Modern/cordite era smokeless is made to precison
pressure standards(tested 7ways to sundown) and if you have done any reloading you will realize just the shape of the grains etc can wildly affect pressure curves etc.
Making a bomb of the firearm in question.If you do chance reloading with your crude cordite please use a string at least 50 ft behind a solid barrier prior to firing.Youll have no Idea as to the proper wieght of powder for a std load and light loads with certain powders have lead to detonations.Just buy factory smokeless power and follow reloading data and procedures.Save your eyesight,extremetys,and firearm please.Satisfy your curiousity about manufacture but please dont
attempt to use it in firearms of any kind.If youve ever witnessed or seen the aftermath of incorrectly loaded ammo or a defective weapon they are virtual hand grenades with the most pressure locate inches from your face.And it doesnt require catatrophic failure to kill/maim.a broken op rod etc could end up embeddd in you eye/brain.

[Edited on 1-12-2009 by grndpndr]
white rabbit
Harmless

Mood: Groovy

[*] posted on 30-11-2009 at 21:00

I don't think he's going to load it in a firearm. Probably just interested in the making of the product as an example.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 05:34

Grndpndr's warning is a timely one and uchiacon would be an idiot not to heed it.
Making the product as an example seems a waste, though!
It'd be more interesting to use the NC to gel nitro!
Blasting gelatine with 3% NC packs a helluva punch. . .
zha ke xue
Harmless

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 08:25

呵呵,原来是胶质达纳马特丫~~
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 10:44

Quote:
呵呵,原来是胶质达纳马特丫~~

Oh, the original is made of a plastique Dynamite Ah~~

Caveat Orator
uchiacon
Hazard to Self

Mood: Financial

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 19:08

No, I wont be using it in a gun, lol, what do you take me for?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 09:59

As a solid grain in a rocket-casing, it'd make a seriously good propellant. . .
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2009 at 04:15

Being I dont know you I dont "take you for" anything in particular except someone who posted a thread titled "smokeless powder manufacture".What would you "take me for" if I made a post "smokeless powder manufacture" other than a possible fool intent on destroying a firearm or myself,people rarely put that much effort into something they dont intend to use and since you also didnt mention what you were goin to do with it that was an open question.
You tell me what I should "take you for" might be a more enlightning question.All due respect but Ive met some very stupid people, if your not one of them my apologys for raising a flag of caution for those who might try.Have a nice day!:D

[Edited on 4-12-2009 by grndpndr]

Go To Top