Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: luting compounds
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 14:27
luting compounds

Luting compounds are joint sealants normally used at high temperatures.

I have been attempting to find, or develop, a luting compound for use in sealing borosilicate glass to ceramic (homemade mullite).

My criteria are as follows:
1. Must retain gas tight integrity for 1 hour at 500C.
2. Must be compatible with borosilicate glass and mullite.
3. Must be removable following use without significantly damaging the glass and ceramic pieces.

I have found some commercial products that claim they are suitable as a metal joint sealant up to 510C. One, and likely the other also, are phenolic based and therefore should be removable by burn out at a sufficiently high temperature. If they expand significantly during curing they would be unacceptable. I have not tried them in my lab as I don't have any of the sealants.

I have evaluated several sodium silicate based formulations in my lab. The test method I use is to seal a glass microscope slide (yes, I know, it's soda glass) to a 5cm x 5cm ceramic tile. This is then heated in my muffle furnace for 1 hour at 500C.

Results indicate that the pottery grade sodium silicate will meet the above criteria, even at a level as low as 5% of the formulation. There is only minor corrosion of the glass and ceramic surfaces if a low level of the sodium silicate is used. Soaking in water eventually loosens the seal. The best formulation so far contains 200 mesh SiO2 as fill.

If anyone has some suggestions for a luting compound meeting the above criteria I would very much appreciate hearing them.

[Edited on 9-12-2009 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 16:24

Magpie, I think you're on the right track with sodium silicate, but you might want to take a (half-humorous) look at some of the old chemical technique books on www.archive.org One that I recall is by either Faraday or Davy. These old books often give recipes for luting compounds, which were a necessity in the olden days, prior to the advent of ground glass joints. You may be amazed at some of the stuff they recommend, the duct tape of the early 19th century.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 19:54

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Luting compounds are joint sealants normally used at high temperatures.
FYI. Historically, wheat paste was used as a luting compound, but that was back when every metal vessel was hand-hammered and tolerances were poor, and back when even an ordinary steam distillation rig needed luting.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 20:19

Another interesting sealant, formerly used by plumbers, is a mixture of litharge (PbO), glycerin, and water. One reference said it was good to 275C. This would be OK for the lower temperatures, but I don't know how difficult it would be to break the seal. IIRC PbO melts at 888C but it might flux the ceramic and melt it too.

I thought that RTV silicone rubber would make a good low temperature luting compound. My testing showed that it had integrity up to 300C. However, above that temperature it decomposed into carbon and what looked like very fine SiO2, and for some reason, badly warped the glass slide.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 04:17

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
PbO melts at 888C but it might flux the ceramic and melt it too. [...] RTV silicone rubber [...] had integrity up to 300C. However, above that temperature it decomposed into carbon and what looked like very fine SiO2, and for some reason, badly warped the glass slide.
The first effect of PbO is to give you a layer of leaded glass on the surface of the glass vessel. The traditional flux for lead glass is sodium and/or potassium oxides, but boric oxide would also do. Materially, it's going to lower the melting point and increase the COE (coefficient of expansion, thermal). This has the effect of making a graded glass seal on the surface of the glass. This is likely not too much of a problem, but may cause a greater likelihood of breakage. It also may causing spalling and cause a taper joint no longer to fit correctly without luting. Therefore, I would recommend using a glass adapter piece for the transition. One side would be luted. The other would have a taper joint, or perhaps better, one of the standard ball-and-cup joints, to better deal with overall thermal expansion on the hot side.

PbO in a reducing environment will happily reduce to elemental lead. Generally this results in crystal formation, which would interfere with the plastic and glassine material properties of your luting. So there's some amount of process vs. sealing compatibility to worry about.

As for PbO fluxing the ceramic, that's only likely if the ceramic has significant alkali flux elements. One formulation of lead glass I looked up had 8% K2O and 4.6% Na2O as flux, so "significant" doesn't mean "large". Good quality mullite, which is just alumina and silica in composition, shouldn't have this problem. For any homemade ceramic, though, I would definitely advise a test.

The warping on the glass slide is completely typical of incompatible crystal lattices and/or COE. This is a dominant issue in, for example, silicon wafer processing, where if you get a pair of incompatible layers, you get exactly the kind of warping you observed. It was almost certainly crystalline SiO2, as you saw, that was the origin of the problem. My guess is that if you looked hard enough, you'd fine a film of SiO2 on the surface of the slide.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 18:12

Would any of the carbonaceous luting compositions work for you? Graphite made into a paste with one of any number of binders? I'm not so sure that such gunk would be at all easy to get off but I think it could handle the temperature at any rate (unlike some other things that have been mentioned). See e.g. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4192730.html.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 19:12

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  
Would any of the carbonaceous luting compositions work for you? Graphite made into a paste with one of any number of binders? I'm not so sure that such gunk would be at all easy to get off but I think it could handle the temperature at any rate (unlike some other things that have been mentioned). See e.g. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4192730.html.

I tried that particular luting compound. See:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12958#...

The first time I tried it, where I'm sure it was kept below 300C, it seemed to work fine. On my second run, where I heated it to 500C to keep the Zn in a vapor state, it failed. That's the trouble with carbonaceous binders at temperatures over 300C - they carbonize. Below 300C I believe some carbonaceous binders will work fine. The one you cite has a big advantage in that it cleans up easily and causes no damage to the mating parts, according to my test. RTV silicone rubber would also be a good candidate if it can be released and cleaned off after use. Same goes for a phenolic resin. However, some tars are notoriously difficult to dislodge. Testing would be advised. Also, does it expand on curing. If so this would crack the glass on a ground glass fitting, not something that would show up in my parallel plates testing method.

Actually the ceramic joint is relatively easy to seal if no joint heater is used, even if the retort is operated as high as 1300C. That's because ceramic is such a good insulator that the joint likely never comes close to 300C. It's only for applications like making Zn where I need a luting compound for use at 500C. For this I have to provide a separate heater to keep the ceramic retort joint at 500C.

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 19:19

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but why not furnace cement? Its relatively cheep and should do the job nicely. We use it many time on boilers and I don't see any reason it shouldn't work here. If the temperature gets great enough the Sodium Silicate in it melts and turns to Silica Dioxide. Its sticky as hell to but I do not know if 500C is enough to "activate" it turning it into SiO2.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 20:02

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
I don't think anyone has mentioned it but why not furnace cement?

I have used furnace cement to repair cracks in my muffle furnace. It's holding up well. I definitely think it's worth evaluating.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 19:29

A paste of sodium silicate and silica was mentioned: as far as I can tell, that's almost all that furnace cement is. The fillers are probably a little more specific, but I know the binder is the same.

I've noticed it can take a long time to dry, and if heat is applied before it's dry, it will bubble up.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 21:18

Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  
A paste of sodium silicate and silica was mentioned: as far as I can tell, that's almost all that furnace cement is. The fillers are probably a little more specific, but I know the binder is the same.

I think you've got it right. Here's the MSDS info on my Rutland's Chimney Sweep furnace cement:

Section II - Hazardous Ingredients/Identity Information
Identity CAS #

Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda) 01310-73-2
Silicon Dioxide, Silica,Quartz,Sand 14808-60-7
Sodium Silicate 01344-09-8

If there's any more fillers they don't list them.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 15:02

Go To Top