Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical equations in MS Word
Dmitry
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 08:10
Chemical equations in MS Word

Hi

I suggest using the add-in EquPixy for MS Word.
EquPixy has the following functions for chemists:
- To keyboard chemical elements (Na, Ca, Br, Li ...) without the keys "Shift" or "Caps Lock". Record capital or lowercase letters depend on keystrokes time.
- Figures the number of atoms (H3PO4) makes a subscript, the charges of ions and oxidation states of atoms (Ca2+) makes a superscript.
- An arrow with a special reaction conditions.
- Record substance state, and other information ((g), (aq), (s)). It can be edited.
- Checking the chemical equation (number of elements on the right and left).
www.equpixy.com
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 11:44

Personally for the longest time I have just used chemsketch student edition and copy-pasted things into MS Word. I find it a free (site says that his software is paid) way to get organic structures and regular equations into Word. Each to their own too, some people have chemdraw ($$$?)
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 13:43

Chemsketch is the one for me, too.

Word 2007 keeps the image as a chemsketch object, rather than an image or straight text - so you can edit it from word, without having to go back into Chemsketch :)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 14:19

I have ChemDraw for a 2-week free trial. Could someone please tell what file type to save it to that allows import to Word 2003?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 14:37

just copy and paste it in... then, once there, you can double click the image in word and it'll allow you to edit it in chemdraw. Very useful software, especially the NMR shift predictor and some other functions. It can even model what would happen in a reaction, although I forget how to do this and requires making many duplicates of what is involved in the reaction (i.e. if you make say 100 OH- ions and 100 MeBr, and set the program to model it, after telling it what sites are active (i.e. O is nucleophilic, a-C is electrophilic) then it will actually show you the reaction (or at least this is how it was made to sound by the guy showing us this stuff...)...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 15:42

Haven't quite got the hang of this software - plus I can't work out how to turn it off. But a thorough review of the instruction manual and it will be very useful - no more constant pressing of Ctrl; + or Ctrl; Shift; + in chemistry lessons!

Thanks for the link.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 18:02

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
just copy and paste it in... then, once there, you can double click the image in word and it'll allow you to edit it in chemdraw.

Thanks. Yes, with "select all" I moved the image to the Word document. I hate to ask again, but now I can't reduce the size of the image. I'm trying to do this through the edit function you mention.

PS: Although I cannot reduce size in edit mode, this can be done by reducing scale in the original ChemDraw document.

[Edited on 12-12-2009 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Pomzazed
Hazard to Self

Mood: Acylated

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 20:54

Magpie, just drag at the corner in MSWord to reduce the size instead,

Also, applying the ACS style (in chemdraw) before copying to word makes it alot easier to read especially when the image size is reduced.

Don't stare at me making fumes... I'm just experimenting with some gas...
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 21:08

Thank you, Pomzazed. ;)

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 12:58

EDIT: Never mind me, I'm getting draw and sketch mixed up. Makes this post irrelevant :)

[Edited on 12-12-2009 by psychokinetic]

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 14:35

I had a nice ChemDraw equation in my Word document for the malonic acid procedure I just posted. But I couldn't get it to transfer to the forum document. Is it possible to do this?

KnooBill
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2009 at 04:36

Excuse me but I haven't read the previous posts, I would however suggest "Insert Character" option. As for subscript and superscript it is easily obtainable as well through the program itself. I would not know about aromatic organic substances.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 10:24

Is it possible to transform a ChemSketch file to a Word file? If, "yes," how do you do this? Thanks.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 10:34

I have downloaded 'Chem4Word' recently and it seems to work fairly well for the basics, but for the more advanced stuff I can't make nor head nor tail of it;

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/chem4word/

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 17:17

Thanks, I loaded that software but it didn't seem to help.

Eventually I found that a BMP file could be saved from ChemSketch and posted into ScienceMadness.

ChemSketch3.bmp - 221kB

Go To Top