Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BZ reaction question.
iamrcr
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2009 at 09:53
BZ reaction question.

In the classical BZ reaction, the Br- ion, product of bromomalonic acid + dibromoacetic acid + ferriin, inhibits HBrO3 + ferroin (blue) autocatalysis from BrO3- + ferriin(red). As the Br- ion is binded, the inhibition stops, and the cycle can start again.

Now, the Br- ions are binded by the BrO3- ions. What if an substance X binded these ions, in a way that it would start a new oscillatory, excitable reaction? I guess the BZ wave would split into two spiral waves, each one with its own color. I can imagine further splits, for the same reasons, and finally one of the spirals generating a BZ wave, restarting it all again in a smaller scale. ( in other words, fractal spiral waves. )

I've put this into the beginnings board because I have no hands-on chemistry experience whatsoever. But yet I think I've thought of something very feasible, which can turn the BZ thing into a whole new game.

For instance, imagine this:
If you use a ruthenium BZ layer as the light source, its waves' light waves would hit the next layer, and this layer would form an image. You may control the color of this image through the use of additional layers, or by adding a few drops of X-ion-kidnappers, which would result into spiral waves of a different color. Therefore we can store data into little vessels ( or plants, or recipes, or etc. ) instead of expensive disks and big pieces of paper/film.

Edit.: I forgot the question. How would you do this?

[Edited on 18-12-2009 by iamrcr]

Go To Top