Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Large lot of lab reagents for sale...
Chainik
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 00:43
Large lot of lab reagents for sale...

A mate has moved overseas and doesn't not need the lab reagents anymore. Selling two plastic pails full of new and used chemicals on eBay, some which I believe aren't available easily anymore.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=28...

Enjoy!
stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 05:47

LOL gone...I guess OZ doesn't didn't like it :(
Chainhit222
Hazard to Others

Mood: grignard failing to start

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 06:04

I got excited :(
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 06:16

Bummer!
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 07:15

Well, that sucks! I might have had uses for some of them. However, I wonder if the reagents are being $old privately instead?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 08:46

There was a buy it now of just under AU $1K...
Chainik
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2009 at 20:35

Yeah, apologies folks -- was a bit too optimistic with eBay. Apparently their policy does not allow some of the items to be listed, however which items these are they don't say.

I have no idea what most of these are used for, so please make sure you know what you are doing. I am not able to answer any questions apart from visual inspection. All items appear to be in good condition, with no containers showing signs of leakage and stress when repacking.

Selling privately now to person with the highest offer. Please reply by private U2U. I am setting the cut off for offers -- Monday 28th, 6pm QLD time.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Payment cash/bank cheque or PayPal and pickup of whole lot only from South Brisbane, although items are currently about 40km from Inglewood, QLD so you could theoretically pickup from here if it is closer before Monday.

In some cases, where chemicals been used, approximate sizes are given. The following is a list of reagents for sale:

Unilab Tetrahydrofuran (THF) ~ 1000mL
Sodium acetate trihydrate >50g
Unilab Lithium bromide 100g
Hexamine x3 750g ea.
Benzaldehyde 1lt
Indian calamus root oil >500g
Indian parsley seed oil 2kg
Sassafras root oil ~ 180mL
p-Benzoquinone >1kg
DMSO 99% x3 16 fl. oz. ea.
Vanilin 500g
Zinc dust 1kg + 1lb
Oxalic acid 1kg
Nitroethane ~ 200mL
Hydroxylamine suphate 250g
Sodium borohydride (NaBH4) >50g
Ehrlich's reagent 100mL
Ammonium acetate <50g
Sodium metal 100g
Thiourea 600g
Ammonium chloride 1kg
Sodium suphide 500g
Sodium nitrite ~1kg
Glacial acetic acid (GAA) x3 1lt ea.
Formaldehyde 37% 1kg + 1lt
AnalR sulphuric acid ~ 1lt
Catechol 110g
Elemental mercury ~ therm. bulb full
Potassium permanganate ~ 1kg
Magnesium sulphite ~ 500g
Sodium sulphite 500g
Potassium dichromate 500g
Sodium carbonate 500g
Potassium ferricyanide 500g
Ferric chloride hexahydrate <50g
Sodium hydroxide ~ 200g
Sodium bisulphate 1kg
Sodium nitrite 500g
Sodium bicarbonate ~ 500g
Magnesium strips
Sodium chloride ~ 1.5kg
Ammonia solution 30% 500mL
Vegetable glycerin 500g
Sodium thiosuplhate 500g
Ammonium acetate <50g
Potassium bromide 600g
Sodium sulphate 500g
Charcoal 100g
Potassium carboate 500g
Copper chloride ~ 1kg
Calcium oxide 500g
Postassium hydroxide 1kg
Copper (II) chloride 50% solution 200mL
Nitromethane ~ 400mL
Dichloromethane (DCM) ~ 2.5lt
Unilab Butanol 500mL
Univar Diethyl ether 500mL
Univar Formic acide 99% 500mL
Iodine solution 10% 1lt
Merck peroxide test strips
Toluene 1lt
Copper sulphate 100g
Nickel nitrate 100g
Boric acid 100g

Merry Christmas and happy new year!

P.S. There are about 40-50kg between the two pails, so please consider this when arranging pickup.

!BiIei5wB2k~$(KGrHqUOKi8Esnvtml1vBLNGKiK-CQ~~_1.JPG - 22kB
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 26-12-2009 at 12:10

Quote:
Apparently their policy does not allow some of the items to be listed, however which items these are they don't say.
I think several of them may be on OZ list of scheduled chemicals; that's probably what got their knickers in a twist.
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2009 at 15:57

Sassafrass oil? Jesus! Any idea how long you can land in jail for simple possession.Don't mean to rain on your parade but Queensland buyers are cautioned to consult "Queensland misuse of drugs act" prior to purchase.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
Chainik
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-12-2009 at 17:41

Please do not ask to send/courier/post this stuff -- local pickup only.

Also, I didn't check the legal status of each and every item here, so please use common sense.

Cheers.
Chainik
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-12-2009 at 20:24

UPDATE -- Sassafras root oil has been removed and disposed of due to being a scheduled chemical.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 27-12-2009 at 13:44

Here's the list of scheduled chemicals for South OZ. Don't know how it corresponds to your coordinates.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2009 at 15:44

Quote: Originally posted by Chainik  
UPDATE -- Sassafras root oil has been removed and disposed of due to being a scheduled chemical.
Well, that sucks! I do not think that it is a "scheduled chemical" of any sort in NZ. It cannot be, because it is a mixture of several and probably many different aromatic substances (mostly related to safrole), which severely limits its use as any sort of starting material for organic syntheses without costly chromatographic fractionation; and because the sassafras tree has long since been introduced into New Zealand (as well as Au$tralia and many other countries) as an ornamental or specimen tree.

The stuff is used as a topical oil, in a mixture, by herbalists for conditions such as osteoarthritis, e.g. see http://www.edgarcayce.org/health/database/health_resources/o... . Looking up the phrase "Sassafras root oil" on Google discloses the existence of several vendors, including in Au$tralia itself, of the stuff, and of raw sassafras tree root.

[Edited on 28-12-09 by JohnWW]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 27-12-2009 at 16:19

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  
Well, that sucks! I do not think that it is a "scheduled chemical" of any sort in NZ.
Sucketh as it may, what does that have to do with the jail time to which one could be sentenced in Australia? And if this is the usual type of random post of yours, it's probably completely wrong. Post a reference to support your fanta$y.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 00:16

A mate has moved overseas and doesn't not need the lab reagents anymore. Selling two plastic pails full of new and used chemicals on eBay, some which I believe aren't available easily anymore.

Well, there is no doubt that you/your friend were in the amphetamine-making business or at least want to cash in from amphetamine-makers. Only crazy people will contact you, now that you posted that list on Ebay(!) and its not entirely unlikely that you are on some kind of watch list. BTW: The only interesting chemicals on that list are the essential oils and the nitroethane. The rest can be had OTC.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 05:37

I disagree, Entropy51, especially in the light of what I found on Google! See my amended post above. Certainly NOT everywhere else follows the lead of the paranoid U$A in banning sassafras oil, at the urging of the big U$ pharmaceutical giants who must have seen sassafras oil as a naturopathic threat to their expensive wares for treating conditions such as osteoarthrtis!
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 08:56

I disagree, Entropy51, especially in the light of what I found on Google! See my amended post above. Certainly NOT everywhere else follows the lead of the paranoid U$A in banning sassafras oil, at the urging of the big U$ pharmaceutical giants who must have seen sassafras oil as a naturopathic threat to their expensive wares for treating conditions such as osteoarthrtis!
Well, John I'm glad you carefully researched the point. But the List of controlled chemicals in New Zealand includes Safrole, so I wouldn't want to be caught with a big jug of sassafras oil over there. Not that it has anything to do with Australia, which was my point.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 10:45

But safrole is NOT the same thing as "sassafras root oil"! As I said above, the latter (apparently used as a naturopathic remedy, from what I saw in a Google search) is too impure to be used for syntheses. Also, there is nothing to stop one from growing one's own sassafras trees, especially as the American, Chinese, and Taiwanese species of it tolerate a wide range of climates; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras .

[Edited on 29-12-09 by JohnWW]
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 10:53

Quote:
Also, there is nothing to stop one from growing one's own sassafras trees.

Well, if you look at the list they also include hydrochloric acid, which we all carry around in our stomachs. In other words, just because the substance is found in some mixture in the environment doesn't mean you won't find the purified chemical on the list. At least for hydrochloric and sulfuric acid they were smart enough *not* to make all of the related salts illegal (as they did for some of the other listed chemicals).

starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 14:19

I have only thoroughly researched my own jurisdiction (WA),but sassafrass oil here from any part of the tree and of any given safrole content is a listed precursor that can get you 25 years in the big house.QLD and WA seem to be in competition for the most draconian laws and penalties award.Hence my warning upthread.I don't want any of my oz brothers on this forum(including Chainik) to land in the shit out of ignorance.If however you choose to take an informed risk thats another matter.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 18:00

But safrole is NOT the same thing as "sassafras root oil"! As I said above, the latter is too impure to be used for syntheses. Also, there is nothing to stop one from growing one's own sassfras trees.

[Edited on 28-12-09 by JohnWW]
John, I knew with 100% certainty that you would say that. Tell it to the constable.

The reason I object to your posting such rubbish is that someone with even less sense than yourself will believe your tripe and go to jail for the trouble. Please stop your nonsense. If you don't know, just be quiet and listen.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 18:12

Sorry, Entropy51, but I must believe the consistent evidence of what was thrown up by my Google searches for "sassafras" and the phrase "sassafras root oil". In the side-bar, there was even an advertisement by someone in Australia (apparently not in WA or QLD) who was $elling the stuff; if that was some sort of $cam, or even entrapment, Google would have removed the advertisement long ago after receiving complaints from customers.

Besides, even if sassafras oil was as much as 90% safrole (I have been unable to find any confirmation of the exact percentage), that would still represent an unacceptable level of impurities as a starting material for any knowledgeable synthetic organic chemist. There would be far too many side-reactions, which may result in an uncontroled "runaway", and the product would be so contaminated with the reaction products of the impurities that it would be impossible to purify. In addition, safrole is also a major constituent of mace oil (much of which is pinene and dipentene, mace being the fine membrane that surrounds nutmeg and has a similar although somewhat milder flavor), and a minor constitutent of nutmeg oil (much of which is isoeugenol), and I certainly have not heard anything about mace and nutmeg being banned anywhere; I can buy them in my local supermarket.

[Edited on 29-12-09 by JohnWW]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 28-12-2009 at 18:27

Sorry, Entropy51, but I must believe the consistent evidence of what was thrown up by my Google searches for "sassafras" and the phrase "sassafras root oil". In the side-bar, there was even an advertisement by someone in Australia (apparently not in WA or QLD) who was selling the stuff.
While your Google was throwing up, did it disgorge the information that sassy is not something like 90% safrole?

It never occurred to you that the advertisement might be a total scam? Or even entrapment? You're old enough to consider possibilities such as this.

Really, John, people will not think you're dumb if you refrain from posting horse hockey that you find on the web. Just the opposite, in fact.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2009 at 01:50

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  

Well, if you look at the list they also include hydrochloric acid, which we all carry around in our stomachs.

ROTFL. Just proves that these lists should simply be ignored, especially if you don't live in paranoia-land and the worst thing that will happen is a slap on the wrist (if you're not into production of larger quantities of illegal compounds).

What one should do though is listen to common sense and what we have here makes common sense scream:
* A list of chemicals that is obtained by compiling all well known MDA/MDMA + friends syntheses.
* A seller who pretends not to know what these chemicals are used for.
* A seller who wants to sell all of the chemical at once as fast as possible.
* A "friend" who has to leave the country
In short: nobody you would want to be associated with. And all that for a bunch of chemicals that can easily be had elsewhere (maybe with the exception of nitroethane). Conclusion: risk/gain ratio way beyond reasonable.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2009 at 02:08

A "friend who has to leave the country (Queen$land, Au$tralia)"? Were the Queen$land $tate Pigs after him? That $tate has one of the world's most corrupt and brutal Pig forces, and at least until a fairly recent change of régime the politicians there (e.g. the late Bjelke-Peter$en) were also notoriously "on the take". I wonder if he would be eligible for political asylum in New Zealand.

BTW That list of laboratory chemicals in Queen$land appears to be the same as that listed on this Au$tralian web-page:
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-house-cleara...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top