Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Distillation Setup for 1,4-Butanediol to gamma-Butyrolactone
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by len1  
The sad truth is, if you made anything, be it drug related, be it bomb related, just anything, having it reality related would already make it above par on this forum
I thought the purpose of this forum was to get free references. That seems to be where the activity is.
Chemrock
Harmless

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 10:37

Very interesting response by the board.
All I can add is that "curious minds have a need to know"
With over 400 anonymous views I would say that this topic was of a great interest to a lot of curious minds.
Thanks to all who contributed.

"Better living through chemistry"
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 15:08

Quote: Originally posted by Chemrock  

With over 400 anonymous views I would say that this topic was of a great interest to a lot of curious minds.

You deserve an attaboy! Give yourself a big pat on the back.
Vogelzang
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 16:15

The way I feel, I think if someone develops a drug problem or becomes an addict, it may have been his/her karma. If you prevented them from following their spiritual path then he/she might have to come back to live this type of lifestyle in their next life. People with drug and alcohol problems usually have to mature out of it before they can stay sober. I've known a lot of people like this, who had substance abuse problems, but later quit and avoided it completely for then on. We're all addicted to oil (petroleum) and most people are in denial about it.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 17:03

In a forum full of people with scientific minds you will have a better chance convincing them that drugs are not that bad then you will convincing them they will be reborn in a next life due to there Karmic influences.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 17:15

I know a number of people with science degrees that have religious and/or spiritual beliefs.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 19:42

Dont make it right thought.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 04:51

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
The sad truth is, if you made anything, be it drug related, be it bomb related, just anything, having it reality related would already make it above par on this forum
I thought the purpose of this forum was to get free references. That seems to be where the activity is.

Which immediately leads to the question why is there so much activity in asking and posting references, when there is so little actually being done. My answer is that for many people this is a form of socializing. That explains many of the observation ive made before and the reactions to them.

[Edited on 8-1-2010 by len1]
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 05:22

Len, I don't see what is your concern. Over the years I have spoken with others in u2u, email etc. of the details of certain experiments... done some bad (due to lack of equipment) experiments of my own, given and received chemicals from other people for my/their experiments... but never once put any details of things I have done... because - quite honestly - it was nothing new, or clever, or worthwhile to share... just repeating experiments that have been written and presented in much nicer form in the journal references (which are still reports of people doing chemistry, after all!).
The pleasure I (and I'm sure others) get just from crystallizing copper sulfate, or bismuth (Many times, and many shapes!:D)... or making simple esters which smell nice, or plastics in unimpressive powder form, is not necessarily interesting to others - yet still it is done, and not mentioned.

I can't imagine that people who have been here for years - who buy chemicals from whatever source - and ask for references on obscure reactions do it solely to socialize(!) - it is a very quite forum; and if that is the fact then they are in the wrong place!

For me it is sometimes enough to read of other (amateur or professional!) peoples interesting chemistry, and I think there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has the equipment or money to do impressive things... but dreaming costs nothing!

I wish it did not bother you so much Len... if the forum is a place to ask and to give help then that is enough I feel. Often I find that some of the help given here is better than what I could get at my university, so why not ask for help because it is all in the spirit of helping others towards the scientific endeavor, if it is reported here or to help someone who will later write a published paper - it is no matter! :D
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 10:51

Which immediately leads to the question why is there so much activity in asking and posting references, when there is so little actually being done.

One reason imay be that motivated newbies get immediately chased away by the local Taleban which disapproves of the subject or the lingo (c.f. this thread). What you end up with is a bunch of inbreeds patting themselves on the back for having superior goals. Which is of course just another type of being "kewl".
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 12:36

Crystalising copper sulphate, maybe. But havent seen references posted on that. With something just a bit more complicated it will soon be pretty obvious if youre doing it, because few things work straight away, esp as you say with bad equipment, and people ask for help describing what they did. There are plenty of examples of that in the past, see eg hydrazine thread. But that sort of thing's dried up now

Of course if they are cooking they are less likely to post .. but even then lots of 'swim' remarks abound.

Not to take it to hard? Should I get that noose of my neck then and climb down from the chair?
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 12:54

Quote: Originally posted by turd  

One reason imay be that motivated newbies get immediately chased away by the local Taleban which disapproves of the subject or the lingo (c.f. this thread). What you end up with is a bunch of inbreeds patting themselves on the back for having superior goals. Which is of course just another type of being "kewl".

Well said, well said...

sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 13:59

Not to take it to hard? Should I get that noose of my neck then and climb down from the chair?

Yes, step down Sir! :P There are many more things to worry about... like people drinking industrial solvents! It is Friday night and this solvent-drinking is becoming an epidemic from what I can tell :o

Edit: And crystallizing bismuth is much more fun! I feel inspired to post some of my results now, but have this as a teaser ;)
http://www.amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Bismuth_Crysta...

and... http://www.bismuthcrystal.com/week.html :D
[Edited on 8-1-2010 by sonogashira]

[Edited on 9-1-2010 by sonogashira]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 17:16

Quote: Originally posted by turd  
One reason imay be that motivated newbies get immediately chased away by the local Taleban (sic) which disapproves of the subject or the lingo (c.f. this thread).
As always, Mr Turd has it arse backwards. The Taliban love drugs. That's the major source of their income! According to the NY Times the Taliban earned $ 300 million from the opium trade last year alone. Mr Turd should educate himself about where the money spent on illegal drugs goes. Then he wouldn't appear so dumb when he compares people who are against illegal drugs to the Taleban (sic).
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 18:16

Entropy, I respect you as a chemist and in the past you have contributed useful information to this forum but as of late your posts have turned decidedly judgmental and unproductive. Recently you haven't made a single post relating to chemistry, rather you attack anyone and everyone you even suspect of thinking about considering ordering a precursor to a watched chemical. I also disapprove of discussion by individuals who are clearly only interested in synthesizing drugs for profit or other sinister but that doesn't mean I berate them at every opportunity.

You are a bully, and quite frankly an asshole who seems to get pleasure from one or two sentence rebuttals insulting new members. In the future why don't you just keep your thoughts to yourself?

turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 01:38

Quote:
Mr Turd should educate himself

It fear it is you who is in dire need of some education.
1) On the ambiguous romanization and transcription of arabic
2) On reasoning by analogy. Apparently your intrusive thoughts concerning "illegal drugs" hamper your capability of abstraction.
3) Logical thinking. If it bothers you that drug money is going to the mafia, then you should support domestic made psychoactives. Every self-made g of speed is one g less for the mafia. Furthermore so far I didn't see you arguing pro-legalization. If I wasn't certain that you have OCD, I would believe that you are invested in "the business". :o
4) On the art of civilized discussion. Calling people "dumb" etc... does not make you "win" the argument. And a real discussion is not about being right anyway, but about sharing ideas.

My last post in this subthread. My best wishes to you, may you beat your demons one day. Good night. :)
Chemrock
Harmless

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 18-1-2010 at 10:02
Follow up on equipment

If anyone decides to order a distillation kit from United Glass Tech make sure to order a set of metal joint clamps ( not cheap at $45 for set of 5 ) because the green plastic ones that come in the kit are only temperature rated up to 140 Deg C. To attain proper distillation temps one will need to attain vapor temps in the column in excess of 200 Deg C. The metal clamps are rated up to 350 Deg C.

Also I don't recommend buying their clear 3/8 ID tubing because at $2.50/ft thats more expensive than 20 feet for $12.50 from Home Depot.

"Better living through chemistry"
mofookin
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-9-2018 at 06:32
Bravo Sir!

Quote: Originally posted by crazyboy  
Entropy, I respect you as a chemist and in the past you have contributed useful information to this forum but as of late your posts have turned decidedly judgmental and unproductive. Recently you haven't made a single post relating to chemistry, rather you attack anyone and everyone you even suspect of thinking about considering ordering a precursor to a watched chemical. I also disapprove of discussion by individuals who are clearly only interested in synthesizing drugs for profit or other sinister but that doesn't mean I berate them at every opportunity.

You are a bully, and quite frankly an asshole who seems to get pleasure from one or two sentence rebuttals insulting new members. In the future why don't you just keep your thoughts to yourself?

I registered solely to agree with you, sir. This person of whom you speak does, in fact, appear to be a bully and an asshole, who attacks merely to attack. If the statement held no truth he wouldn't have made more than one or two posts here on a thread he adamantly disapproves of.

My hats off to you Crazyboy, for telling it how it is. :D
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2018 at 22:20

Quote: Originally posted by mofookin  
Quote: Originally posted by crazyboy  

I registered solely to agree with you, sir. This person of whom you speak does, in fact, appear to be a bully and an asshole, who attacks merely to attack. If the statement held no truth he wouldn't have made more than one or two posts here on a thread he adamantly disapproves of.

My hats off to you Crazyboy, for telling it how it is. :D
You resurrected an 8 year old forum thread to agree with a long gone cook and then bash one of the more respected, and now sadly dead, member(s) here with your first post? Really, what the hell are you thinking. There is a glaring reason we kick cooks off of the forum: If they get arrested, they will try and blame this very forum for their crimes. We are on the margins more than any other academic group I can think of. Never mind how badly maligned and marginalized amateur chemistry still is. Never mind how many lives have been lost to illicit drug trade. Never mind the fact that this forum is the last refuge of the lone chemist either. Get a hint, Entropy was here long enough to see the same type of stupid behavior over and over again:What the hell do you expect? Him to support the very plague on our community?

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
mofookin
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-9-2018 at 01:36

omg I am sorry I didn't know the history or date of the last post. my apologies. Alas, he did appear to pick on the man. Much like you are picking on me. for whatever reason. I do respect the dead though and am sorry I made the post now. has nothing to do with your ire, that I could give a shit about.

PS I'm neither a cook nor amateur chemist, I just like to read interesting stuff.

[Edited on 27-9-2018 by mofookin]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top