Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Home Lab
FeedMe94
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 00:14
Home Lab

Hello everyone
Im about to start making my home lab, also im about to place some orders for chemicals. I wanted to ask what else i will may need in the future for High Explosives and Flash Powder compositions. Here is a list with chemicals and equipment i already have

Nitric Acid 68% , Sulfuric Acid 98% , Hydrochloric Acid 33-35%,
Ammonia Water 25%, Acetone 99% , Isopropyl Alcohol 99%, Ethanol 95%, Hydrogen Peroxide 35% , Ethylene glycol, Glycerin,
Hexamine , Pentaerythritol , Erythritol , Mannitol , Ammonium Nitrate , Potassium Nitrate , Potassium Permanganate, Potassium Perchlorate , Potassium Chlorate, Red Phosphorus , Dark Aluminium Powder , Aluminium Powder , Magnesium Powder , Sulfur.

Im trying to get some Ammonium Perchlorate and Calcium Carbise.

Also have Magnetic Stirrer / Heater , Digital Scale 0.01
Beakers , Erlenmeyer Flasks , Buchner Flask and Funnel ,
Burette , Pipettes .

All ideas and comments are welcome

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 01:59

well you are already well equipped, with those reagents you can make a big assortment of explosives. a fumehood is useful, a ball mill if you want to make your own aluminium powder or black powder, some heavy duty safety gloves and face shield just in case something was to explode while working with it. you could build a falling weight apparatus to measure impact sensitivity of your compounds

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
FeedMe94
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 05:12

Thank you a lot for your answer. A ball mill would be awesome since i make a lot of flash and black powder. Im not that much into fumehood, i prefer to do it outside with a fan if it requires fumehood. Do you have any gloves and face shield to suggest ? I loved the idea of a falling weight apparatus
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 06:10

A good quality arbor press for making test caps and such.

and a variety of fire extinguishers and a table of what to use with which.

I use mostly Halon and CO2, but I do have a Purple K unit and the bog standard dry powder type.

Get the chemicals as you need them. Start with the basics, no point in making an HE less you can fire it properly.

So start with making a commercial / mill spec quality blasting cap, I decided to not re invent the wheel. I am going with the standard Lead Styphnate / azide with a RDX base compound cap.

For this, I need Resorcinol, Lead Oxide

For Azide, I will first need to make the Alkali salt: NaOH, Hydrozine sulfate, Alcohol Nitrite for that I need sodium nitrite and an alcohol.

SO befor you know what you need, you need to know what you want!

I all ways start at initiation! as if it is don improperly you'll be lucky to just be maimed!
FeedMe94
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 08:40

Thanks for the answer. That's true, i need to get fire extinguishers , i only have a CO2 one. You are right , i need to know what i want.. The thing is that i want them all :D

I would love to prepare Azides , Lead Styphnate and RDX. Also TACP and CHP.
Till now i have only synthesize TATP ,HMTD , SADS ,TACN, PETN , ETN , NG and MHN. I think im ok with secondaries , its the primaries than im lacking.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 09:10

Order some resorcinol, Sodium Nitrite, distill some clean concentrated sulfuric acid

Make some Hydrazine sulfate by means of the Hoffman rearrangement (Here on the forum)

I all ways recommend to start by distilling and purifying all your solvents, it is good procedural practice that in the end leaves you with clean, reliable, predictable lab chemicals

Then make your self some 68/70% Nitric acid via Ammonium nitrate, then work up the Ammonium sulfate, this will be a future source for ammonia gas for things like TACN or for what ever you need ammonia gas for.

Patience is key, go slow, plan things out well in advance, then do what you can to make the needed precursors while you wait to buy the equipment needed to go further.

again in energetics you only fuck up once, and if lucky you just lose body parts!
FeedMe94
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 09:50

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

again in energetics you only fuck up once, and if lucky you just lose body parts!

Even tho im aware of it, sometimes we act as if we don't.
Anyway that sentence gave me goose bumps.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 06:08

Working with energy materials is the same as riding a motorbike. If you predict, nothing happens....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2019 at 04:49

Everything Xeon said
+ phenol

And read everything Rosco said about picric acid on this forum.

What you have learned untill now will seem to be very little after that and you'll apreciate the journey sooo much more than the destination.

Go To Top