Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uses for Sugru in the lab?
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 13-1-2010 at 20:40
Uses for Sugru in the lab?

So my friend gave me a small 10g packet of Sugru. I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this stuff, but there is this air cure silicone putty that can be moulded onto objects by hand and customized. The putty between -60degC to 180degC remains more or less usable.

For everyones curiosity, the compound itself is made up of methyltris(methylethyl ketoxime)silane, gamma-aminopropyl triethoxy silane, and dioctyltin dilaurate (catalyst).

Now I'm wondering, what could this be used for in a lab setting? Bumpers for glassware that won't be heated, grips for objects, holders for flasks, etc.

So far the only major idea I have is to use white PVC endcaps with small dots of sugru as a substitute for cork rings. Grips for spatulas and other things seems like an idea, but uses seem restricted due to general unknown chemical resistance and not that great heat resistance.

Does anyone have any good ideas?

[Edited on 14-1-2010 by aonomus]
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2010 at 15:30

Handle for a Lead Dioxide Anode?

Dann2
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 20:20

I'm surprised that nobody here is interested in Sugru (Formerol® F.10). I just stumbled upon it on another website, and then found this thread here with the search function. So, has anyone here used it? I'm going to get some as soon as possible.

Of course, I looked up the tech. specs. and MSDS:
<a href="http://sugru.com/pdfs/tds.pdf" target="_blank">Technical Data Sheet</a>
<a href="http://sugru.com/pdfs/msds-usa.pdf" target="blank">Material Safety Data Sheet</a>

<iframe sandbox width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/rXXcq6-3y8g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[Edited on 7.2.14 by bfesser]

Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 23:54

This stuff is awesome! Coat all of your metal clamps glass contact points.

Could it be made into rubber stoppers? What might it react with?

"Sugru has a Shore A hardness of 70, Density of 1.3g/cm3, Tensile Strength of 1.89 Mpa, Youngs Modulus of 5.59MPa, an Strain to Failure of 211%, DIN Abrasion Resistance of 24% ARI index (Standard used ISO4649 Method A), Electrical Resistivity - Surface 1.40 x 10^14 Ohms (Standard used BS903), Electrical Resistivity - Volume 2.55 x 10^14 Ohms (Standard used BS903), and a Williams Plasticity of 160mm. Phew."

[Edited on 28-2-2013 by Hockeydemon]

Go To Top