Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Senior Centers and Science Lab Socials
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

Mood: Feelin groovy

[*] posted on 21-1-2019 at 11:38
Senior Centers and Science Lab Socials

I'm thinking that "science for socialization" labs would be a great way for seniors (especially men) to build new relationships and maintain a sense of purpose in the community. These clubs or whatever could also coordinate group senior enrollment in classes at local colleges to ease the " fish out of water feeling" of going back to school .

These same "science for socialization" labs could train seniors to safely run labs for home schools at central locations and be a great way for the older generation that created this world to interact with the generation that will build upon it.

This also seems like a good "outreach" or community service project for Sciencemadness.org to consider championing.

What do you folks think?

[Edited on 21-1-2019 by itsafineday]
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 21-1-2019 at 18:19

Nice idea but in my opinion, not practical
because generally most people, (and especially the
older ones) tend to be very dull and lazy.

Such a situation would appeal to maybe 1 or 2 people
out of every 50,000 or so at best.

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-1-2019 at 18:51

There is a Men's Shed movement that often attracts seniors. One of the main goals is to build communities and enhance mental health. Blokes talk better when they are doing something.

Woodwork is quite common for these sheds but there is a lot of variety out there. If there was enough general interest to warrant purchase of eqipment then there is no reason why chem would not be possible.

The bigger question is whether there is the base-line interest in any retirement village to support the idea.
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2019 at 18:52

Quote: Originally posted by sodium_stearate  
Nice idea .. generally most people, (and especially the
older ones) tend to be very dull and lazy....

..I'm an older person (if 77.9 qualifies) and I represent that remark...:D
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 04:23

Represent or resent ? :P
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 09:11

Charlie A: I also am a senior. We don't resemble that remark. :D

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 19:30

I am up with Charlie A and Magpie. My wife just says I am an old fart so get over it. The lab beckons.

AvB
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 20:54

I have a feeling that something like a makerspace and or a hackerspace would be more popular for people of this age - meaning it would appeal to a broader section of people. I don't see why a chemistry section couldn't be added to one of these spaces as many of them have unique sections that apply to those interested.

I'm not really crazy about franchise models for these types of organizations/businesses as they tend to be too uptight about various things and some have had relationships with various companies (like tool/parts/equipment suppliers) that offered sub-par tools for too much money. I'd personally rather have a nice 20-40yr old used drill press (in good shape) than a new harbor freight or "grizzly" brand at the same price - with the used one being much more accurate, better motor, better/larger stand, etc

Maybe partnering with retirement communities/homes along with local college/univ/trade-schools/high schools might give access to some people who might otherwise not have it. These could also be good sources for both teachers/instructors and patrons.

Anyway, just a thought.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 21:32

As I write this I am sitting in a newly built retirement village. (Just visiting.)
The place is buzzing with all kinds of activities available and high levels of participation -- pool, gym, movie theatre, library, sewing, bar, social centre, barbecue area, street parties, pool, poker, darts, bowls, dog park, organised outings, and plenty more on its way with flexibility to cater for residents' interests.
There is not a facility for woodworking but provision for a mobile unit to come on a periodic basis if there is demand.

Right here I doubt there would be any interest whatsoever in a chemistry space.
So, I guess it depends on whether there is a market for such a thing.

Go To Top