Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aluminium amalgamation
jwarr
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2010 at 12:50
Aluminium amalgamation

My understanding of the underlying reaction mechanism behind aluminum amalgamations is hazy at best. Could someone please point me in the direction of a reference explaining what exactly is going on here?

In particular, I'm looking at the reductive amination of 3,4-(Methylenedioxy)phenyl-2-propanone with methylamine to the corresponding secondary amine. If someone could elucidate the process here, I'd really appreciate it. How exactly does the methylamine attack the carbonyl oxygen? I'm assuming there is a transitional state with the oxygen bonded to a H on the amine but beyond that I haven't a clue. Also, how is the corresponding imine reduced by the Al/Hg?

All the literature I have read points to a very temperamental reaction. Why do the chemicals have to be mixed such a specific order? How is the al/hg amalgamate scaled in relation to the chemicals being reduced? The only documents I've seen suggests scaling the procedure is not simply a matter of increasing or decreasing reactants by a constant factor.

[Edited on 14-2-2010 by jwarr]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2010 at 13:37

Quote: Originally posted by jwarr  
Could someone please point me in the direction of a reference explaining what exactly is going on here?

It is called reduction reactions. In this particular case it is about reducing imines formed in situ from a carbonyl compound and an amine. There is plenty literature, even monographs, on reductions and such reductions of imines.

Quote:
How exactly does the methylamine attack the carbonyl oxygen?

Imine formation

Quote:
Also, how is the corresponding imine reduced by the Al/Hg?

Dissolving Metal Reductions of Pi-Electron Systems

Quote:
All the literature I have read points to a very temperamental reaction. Why do the chemicals have to be mixed such a specific order?

Exothermic enough reactions usually are temperamental. There is nothing unusual there. Chemicals need to be mixed in a specific order because you are performing a reaction where things need to occur inside the framework of specific conditions.

Quote:
How is the al/hg amalgamate scaled in relation to the chemicals being reduced? The only documents I've seen suggests scaling the procedure is not simply a matter of increasing or decreasing reactants by a constant factor.

To scale up the reaction you first go to the university to study chemical engineering. Then when you finish and get the diploma you realize that the only way to scale up some reactions is not to perform them and do others instead. That is the easy way. But you can also do it differently and end up in troubles which may range from minor spillovers to glass shrapnels inside your body parts.

PS: It took me 5 minutes to find you the pedagogic material cited just by googling around (and I only checked the first few hits!). I suggest you to take a similar approach any time before opening new threads, or else do so in Beginnings section where I'm moving this.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
14-2-2010 at 13:37

Go To Top