Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BMK
madcease
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 22:19
BMK

I know Benzyl methyl ketone is used for amph/meth but what other uses industry wise does this get used for?

There is no information of what it oucld be used for or nothing.
Im thinking maybe a glue or an epoxy of some sort

There selling tons of it so there must be a good use
madcease
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 23:19

10 Views and not one response this must be only used for one thing i take it.
lol
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 08:37

It has been used as a solvent in the past but its current status has resulted in it being replaced in all cases as far as I know.
It is still used as a synthon as it will condense quite readily to form phenyl substituted napthalenes, see here http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi... and lots of heterocycles.
fractional
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 14:29

From Ullmann Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry 6th ed.:
"Uses. 1-Phenyl-2-propanone is used as an intermediate for the synthesis of pharmaceuticals, e.g., Prenylamine, a coronary vasodilator (Hoechst)"
Merck-Index:
"Note: This is a controlled substance listed in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21 Part 1308.12 (1995). USE: In organic synthesis; production of benzyl radicals by photolysis."
Roempp:
"Use: as intermediate for the production of pharmaceuticals, e.g. amphetamines. The isomer 1-phenyl-1-propanone is propiophenon"
fractional
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 14:37

One more reference found:
Merck-Index, 11 ed.:
"Use as prochiral ketone in enantioselective hydrosilation: H. Brenner et al., Ber. 117, 1330 (1984)"
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 14:49

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  
It has been used as a solvent in the past

As a solvent! No way. Who would you want that for a solvent? The benzylic hydrogens are too acidic and that makes it too reactive toward many reagents, so it would be a terrible choice as a solvent for many reactions. Besides, solvents need to be simple to make from bulk materials and very cheap. Therefore utmost its regioisomer propiophenone could have ever been used as a high boiling solvent.

Moving to beginnings...
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
16-2-2010 at 14:49
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 15:25

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  

As a solvent! No way. Who would you want that for a solvent? The benzylic hydrogens are too acidic and that makes it too reactive toward many reagents, so it would be a terrible choice as a solvent for many reactions. Besides, solvents need to be simple to make from bulk materials and very cheap. Therefore utmost its regioisomer propiophenone could have ever been used as a high boiling solvent.

Moving to beginnings...

You are thinking of solvents for chemical reactions.
Have a look at the solvent mixtures used in inks, paints, adhesives, resin mixtures, etc.
All sorts of amines, etc are used as modifiers often with water as a base solvent in modern emulsions.
Tunnel vision? Toi!
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 16:14

Its main use as far as I know was perfume industry and amphetamine manufacturing. Yes it is legal for some people to produce amphetamines.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 16:30

It was used as a cheap scent in soaps, polish, etc where it could also play a blending role.
Maybe it is still used for this purpose in some places?
I remember floor polish that was scented with nitrobenzene. I have not seen it for many years. Heavy exposure used to give you a stinking headache.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2010 at 15:59

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  

Moving to beginnings...

Come on Nicodem.
Crawl out of your hole and defend your position!
madcease
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2010 at 09:45

Nice posts was thinking of the idea of inks and so forth as at work that all we deal with and was willing to know of exposure to this is as harmfull as it is to the other things they put in that nasty drgg
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 13-3-2010 at 21:40

I received a sample of benzylethylketone and it seems promising as a perfumery intermediate. I suppose I'll some sort of condensation reaction maybe with a CN ester. I'm requesting an article on it.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 14-3-2010 at 06:29

P2P

P2Pbottle.jpg - 35kB

Go To Top