Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Home Chemistry Bloggers/Websites?
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 13:34
Home Chemistry Bloggers/Websites?

Hello All, I haven't been around here much lately (for a couple of years at least) and I feel almost out of place as I have barely done much madscience for the last two years. My old chemistry website is gone (chemistry29.googlepages.com for anyone who might have been a fan) because it didn't really achieve my original goal in making the website, which was for more input on experiments and the like.

Now I seem to be reentering the amateur chemistry and biological sciences and was thinking about setting up a blog. Not particularly for madscience, but with wider appeal science (of course still experimental) and probably much of the content from the original site (which i still have if anyone wants a copy). Is anyone else blogging? I have searched and found very little outside of stupid Top Ten Chemical Reactions and How to Make Thermite.

If anyone has thoughts on the philosophy and purpose of their chemistry websites that would be welcome too, as I'm not opposed to rebuilding a website either. Currently I have 32 pages of my experiments typed with pictures and i think its a waste for them to be sitting on my hard drive.

Glad to be back,

Chemkid

[Edited on 2-3-2010 by chemkid]

aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 13:52

I'm personally a fan of a wordpress hosted blog. Its free, they handle the security updates and backups for you, and there aren't any ads either. I'm not sure *how* they make a profit on it, but they somehow do. You are never really 'locked in' since you can do a backup of the website yourself and save it (probably a CSV, SQL, etc file) then transfer it to your own wordpress install.

As for user feedback, unless you hit the right niche of people and hit a critical mass, people won't reply and give much feedback in general, especially with non kewl type chemistry.

See: http://aonomus.wordpress.com/
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 15:36

Quote: Originally posted by chemkid  
Currently I have 32 pages of my experiments typed with pictures and i think its a waste for them to be sitting on my hard drive.
Instructables.com is pretty good site for this. They have pretty good content construction tools. The only real downside is that there are some commenters who aren't so much risk-averse as they are risk-hysterical.

Go To Top