Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Temperature Control for an electric Oil Bath
javagamer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 17:38
Temperature Control for an electric Oil Bath

Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing an electric oil bath because it appears it would be more versatile than a heating mantle and much more convenient that heating an oil/water bath with a hotplate or flame. Specifically, I'm looking at getting item # CG-1100-03 from ChemGlass (http://www.chemglass.com/product_view.asp?pnr=CG-1100) because I found what seems like a reasonable a price for one.

The problem is it uses 1500W and so it's hard to find a temperature controller for it. I was already planning on ordering a variac, but not one nearly large enough to use for this. It seems all variacs in the 15-20A range are rather expensive so I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be worth it to actually buy a temperature controller if they're only a little more.

Or, if it would be possible to reasonably control the temperature by plugging it in when I need it hotter, and unplugging it when I don't?

Also, if I get a variac that goes up to only say, 500W, could I still use the oil bath below it's maximum temperature?

Basically, I just want your advice on how I can most economically control this oil bath, or if I should just look elsewhere.
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 17:47

http://www.chemglass.com/product_view.asp?pnr=CG-15001? Thats fairly (very) expensive...
aonomus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 17:50

You could always ebay a solid state relay, PID oven controller, and K type thermocouple. I think that combination might work once set up.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 18:01

That is one beautiful oil bath, but you might want to Google "Fondue Pot" first. Depending on the size you want, these can do the job and can be controlled with a variac. Fondue pots are equipped with a simple temperature controller, but they don't give really good control.

I've been using Pyrex dishes with a coil of nichrome wire powered by a variac for ages and they are pretty cheap. Another alternative is an aluminum pot with an immersion heater in the oil.

That's a lot of money for an oil bath IMO.

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by entropy51]
javagamer
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 18:03

Most sensors that I found either didn't go up to 250C, didn't go up to 1500W, or were just really expensive (for me). I'd say I'm looking to spend $300 at most on a temperature sensor considering I found the oil bath for less than that. Would something like http://www.drillspot.com/products/493511/tempco_tkz10202_ana... work?

If I can't find something I can afford I might just go with a mantle, while I'd be stuck to one flask size for that flask they seem more convenient since I don't have to deal with any medium and they use less power.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 18:53

Quote: Originally posted by javagamer  

Or, if it would be possible to reasonably control the temperature by plugging it in when I need it hotter, and unplugging it when I don't?

You don't want to have to do that.

Using a smaller variac is likely possible. But if you didn't manage the system just right you could burn out the variac. I would advise against this.

There are times when you need an oil bath and times when a mantle is just fine. A mantle is much easier to set up/take down and responds faster to changes in heat setting. You often don't know just how much heat you will need over the course of an experiment and this can change during the experiment. A flame responds even faster. I wouldn't want to be hemed in to a one-size-fits-all piece of equipment.

My oil bath set up is a magnetic-stirrer hotplate, steel cooking bowl, type K thermocouble, PID controller, and DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. Punch in the bath temperature I want and I'm all set. The mag drive stirs the heating oil and the reactants in the flask, using two stir bars, of course. I'm happy with these arrangements and don't see what I would change even if the changes were free.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
javagamer
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 19:02

So, a steel bowl and hotplate together can get hot enough? How long does that take to get to say 100C? I figured an electric oil bath would be much more convenient and responsive, but maybe not for the price.

Also, how do set up your your PID controller with the oil bath? Is the hotplate just turned on full and plugged into it? I haven't worked with one before, but it sounds worthwhile.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 19:14

Quote: Originally posted by aonomus  
You could always ebay a solid state relay, PID oven controller, and K type thermocouple. I think that combination might work once set up.
It does work; mine's housed in an old PC power supply box. The only thing that's problematic at all is finding cheap thermocouple jacks. You can always hard-wire the thermocouple, too, but that's less convenient.
javagamer
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 19:24

Thermocouple jacks? Is that for attaching the thermocouple to the bath b/c the oil bath I'm looking at getting already has a clamp for a thermocouple.
Also, didn't see you mentioned a relay too, that sounds pretty nice. I'll look into how much that would run me.

Update: So, would something like http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermocouple-type-J-Watlow-3-16-sheath-N... + http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=35026... + http://www.virtualvillage.com/40a-ssr-solid-state-relay-for-... work? I haven't decided on these yet, but I want to be sure that I have the concept down. It looks like the PID controller can connect to the relay and the thermocouple. To attach the relay would I cut open a small extension cord and just have one of the wires run through the relay?

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by javagamer]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 20:23

Quote: Originally posted by javagamer  
Thermocouple jacks? [...]It looks like the PID controller can connect to the relay and the thermocouple. To attach the relay would I cut open a small extension cord and just have one of the wires run through the relay?
A thermocouple jack accepts a thermocouple plug, which many thermocouples come equipped with. It means you can unplug it when you store it or move it around or use a different thermocouple; it's much more convenient.

Your shopping looks OK, with some concern about what kind of sheath is on the thermocouple.

The manual for the PID controller will having wiring instructions, but you've got it basically right. Remember to switch the hot lead, not the neutral.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 08:44

Your PID controller link shows that it comes with a type K thermocouple.

I've seen those solid state relays on eBay for about $10.

When my camera battery gets charged I'll post a picture of my homemade controller.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 10:28

Here's a picture of the controller I use for oil bath temperature. From right to left: PID controller, solid state relay mounted on a heat sink, outlet box for 120VAC. In the foreground is the detachable TC and several feet of TC wire. Wire with a wire size adequate for the highest anticipated amps in the given wire. If you have any questions, please ask.

PID controller.jpg - 57kB

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 14:00

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21714_Presto+Professiona...

This will handle up to a 5,000 ml flask

Another useful one is this

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21712_Presto+11-inch+Ele...

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by Rosco Bodine]
javagamer
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21714_Presto+Professiona...

This will handle up to a 5,000 ml flask

Another useful one is this

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21712_Presto+11-inch+Ele...

Is the temperature on that first one in Fahrenheit? If so that looks like just what I wanted! Something much more convenient than a hotplate for most of the stuff I do and if need be I can still use my hotplate for really high temperatures. Is the temperature control on it somewhat reliable, or would I still want a setup like Magpie's? Even if I do, this definitely seems worth it.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 15:10

I was trying to point you in that direction

I think a fondue pot is better than a skillet because it is deeper than a skillet, is less likely to spill hot oil (ouch) and will hold a bigger flask than a skillet. The temperature control on the one I have is not bad, but the control is better if you plug it into a variac.

javagamer
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 15:20

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
I was trying to point you in that direction

I think a fondue pot is better than a skillet because it is deeper than a skillet, is less likely to spill hot oil (ouch) and will hold a bigger flask than a skillet. The temperature control on the one I have is not bad, but the control is better if you plug it into a variac.

I was actually talking about the multi-cooker he suggested. I don't think I'll be working with flasks larger than 5L any time soon, so it should fit fine.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 15:28

Yeah 400 F is about maximum....maybe 450 F.

Those little thermostatic probe controllers appear to hold the temperature pretty closely, and some of them have little neon cycle lamp. They are definitely close enough for routine work. If you need very exacting control you can just use a setting higher than the temp you need to maintain and plug the appliance into a switched outlet controlled by a probe and PID controller. Some of the high end crock pots or turkey roasters may have a digital controller and probe already.

javagamer
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-3-2010 at 14:41

Ordered, will update on how well it works once it arrives. Thanks everyone.
Bikemaster
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 11:53

Fondue pot work really good. Even the temperature control work really good. Two days ago I try this setup to hold oil at 148 C and the temperature vary only from 150 C to 145 C durin over 3 hour .
The only think that I will change is the oil that I use, because vegetable oil smell like hell at these temperature. I think it will a judicious purchase to buy 8 dot oil... my pocket will don't like...

[Edited on 9-3-2010 by Bikemaster]
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 17:03

Bikemaster raises a good point about the fluid.Just what is the preferred OTC, cost concious best choice.I hear brake fluid is favoured by some.I've used linseed oil up to about 180C without excessive fume or odour.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 18:35

According to this MSDS linseed oil has a flashpoint of 222 C and an autoignition temperature of 343 C, suggesting it might be a good choice. A long time ago I spent the $$$ to buy some good silicone oil, and it has laster forever and a day.
aonomus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 20:42

Doesn't linseed oil polymerize on air exposure? Thats why its used as the oil in oil based paints right?
Bikemaster
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 07:57

For the moment I use canola oil and it smell a lot when heated, I think I will try the linseed oil next time. Canola oil have a boiling point of 240 C compare to the boiling point of 340 for the linseed oil, so it should smell less.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 18:38

Quote: Originally posted by aonomus  
Doesn't linseed oil polymerize on air exposure? Thats why its used as the oil in oil based paints right?
Linseed oil is the original oil, yes, but no longer the only one; there are a number of other oily resins also used now. More to the point than paint, linseed oil is also a traditional medium for varnishes, which is what you'll have to deal with if used as a heating medium, that is, the bathtub rings made of varnish. These are cleanable, with effort and solvents, but may or may not be worth the trouble, depending on your particular money vs. time vs. risk aversion trade-off.
javagamer
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-3-2010 at 18:42

I've heard good things about mineral oil, any reason not to go with it? I have plenty lying around and so long as I don't have to change it out every time it should be economical enough.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top