Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hydroxylamine? (freebies)
overunity33
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2010 at 20:52
hydroxylamine? (freebies)

I have seen hydroxylamine and hydroxylamine hcl on lists of "watched chemicals", is this due to the freebases explosive potential or its use in manufacturing explosives or controlled substances? I am interested in acquiring a good bit of either hydroxylamine hcl or hydroxylamine sulfate in the US, will I be running into trouble trying to get 5+ kg? If anyone has any good sources of cheap hydroxylamine hcl/sulfate please U2U me, I am looking for prices around 75$/kg of hydroxylamine hcl and 35$/kg hydroxylamine sulfate, does not have to be reagent grade. If anyone has any really good advice that helps me out I am willing to mail them (US only) a used 24/40 400mm Graham condenser I am about to replace with a Liebig (for reflux and inclined distillation).

P.S. Also would be happy with 50% aqueous solution of hydroxylamine hcl @ 40$/kg.

[Edited on 21-3-2010 by overunity33]
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 20-3-2010 at 21:13

wellllllllllllll...
I do know of a place that sells hydroxlyamine HCl and SO4, but not for the price you are looking for.

As foor being watched and buying 5kg are you insane! Why on earth would you need 5kg of hydroxlyamine, or any other chemical for that matter. It is much cheaper to work on a smaller scale. Also I dont think they are concerned with hydroxlyamine used for explosives, rather it use in some controled substances.

and I was just wondering what do you need 5kg of hydroxlyamine for?
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 22-3-2010 at 02:09

why on earth do you need 5+Kg of hydroxylamine?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-3-2010 at 02:38

It can be purchased at www.artcraftchemicals.com, which is in the state of NY. I purchased 1 lb of hydroxylamine sulfate for $49 a few years ago and this quantity is sufficient for the rest of my life ;) Just ask this guy what will be the price for larger quantities. His website only lists 100 gram, but he is willing to sell larger quantities.

This is not as cheap as you asked, but the material is very pure.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2010 at 02:58

The only way that NH2OH, which is a weaker base than NH3, could be used to make an explosive is by formation of the nitrate or perchlorate salts with NHO3 or HClO4. In any case, the ammonium salts are far more satisfactory for this purpose.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-3-2010 at 04:15

Salts of NH2OH are quite stable, the pure free base is dangerously unstable and it can decompose violently. Even hydrated free base is quite unstable and frequently you see when you add NaOH to a solution of a NH2OH-salt small bubbles of N2, due to decomposing NH2OH.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top