Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storage of Organic Solvents
Theophrastus_2
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2010 at 07:29
Storage of Organic Solvents

Hey guys,
simple question, as I'm finally starting up my org lab in full, but I recently saw benzene on the web for sale in a plastic container (HDPE I'ld assume), so the evident question I have is, how suitable are plastic containers for the storage of organic solvents. I've heard acetone is quite problematic, but what about substances like benzene, toluene, DCM, chloroform, aliphatic alcohols, etc. Would it be safe to store substances like these for prolonged periods of time in readily available HDPE, LDPE or PETE containers?

, regards

, Theo
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 21-3-2010 at 07:44

Generally bad- solvents tend to swell plastics to a degree, which means they can slowly escape through the container walls. You can google for compatibility charts (usually for a specific plastic), which will give you a better idea. I prefer teflon-lined amber glass for everything. PFA or FEP bottles will store _everything_, but they're extremely expensive.

If any container there might be okay, it's probably the HDPE.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem

Go To Top