Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mineral Oil
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 13-4-2010 at 00:00
Mineral Oil

I am going through my Lanthanides and refilling bottles which have leaked oil. Leaky threads on the lids combined with a road trip have sloshed out quite a bit, especially my 1/4 lb of Cerium. Not having enough mineral oil from a Lab supply left I was wondering about the drug store type. Especially since it costs less than half what I see now for the Lab quality. Yet I am hesitant to use it after reading the label which states vitamin E is added as a stabilizer. Since I use these elements for doping in most of my experiments purity is very important to me. I have no idea if the vitamin E will contaminate them, especially the more reactive Ce. It will take some time to order and get in the Lab grade oil and as the Ce bottle was in a box that fell over it is half uncovered, and I am not too happy about an 1/8 lb or so sticking up in the air in the jar. What do you guys think, is the vitamin E of no concern or a major problem since any impurities caused by the metals reacting with any additives in the oil will possibly alter doping characteristics.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman

Go To Top